Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times

Advertisements

Sobroguy is opening a new pandora's box right here.

Sobroguy has previously said that Italians, Eastern Europeans, and pretty much any non-scandinavian looking person (according to his criteria) would not pass his whiteness test bar.

That's a high bar, Sobroguy.

Dr. Mengele would agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I'm Black American and i've never had any problems getting along with Dominicans. Most have been pretty cool.

The only Black group that some/many Dominicans are hostile towards are Haitians and that's due to having a rocky history/relationship with them. I think a lot of ppl confuse that..

Black Dominicans, who are mistaken by Dominicans for non Hispanic blacks (until they open their mouths), report all sorts of comments about blacks by Dominicans which would make a KKK member proud...ironically from people who might approximate Will Smith in looks.

Clearly not every Dominican, but one cannot deny that many Dominicans have a problem with "blackness", including their own part blackness. Many Dominican analysts have alluded to this.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
They don't get it... they really don't. But they don't get it because they live in their "white" bubble. No shades of grey allowed. And that's really the point of my question, if you think about it

I actually think they get it but this is part of the denial of racism that many whites engage in. You being a victim of racism, despite being white. You are being punished for perpetrating a non white persona which in their eyes diminishes the prestige value of "whiteness". Note how they equate black and hispanic culture with low life behavior so assume that you must also be portraying such styles.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Likeminas, the point is this: If a population that includes the cast of the Jersey Shore is "white" (aka "italians"), then Hispanics are white. I do not consider Ray Romano white, but if you do then, Rita Moreno is white also, and therefore substantial segments of each population are white.

This is not to be confused with causasian. White is short for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, however as subsquent waves of immigrants came to the US, the definition of white kept getting lower (broader) to maintain a majority population. Irish were never considered white, yet now they are...how exactly does that happen? Cuz Italians showed up...which were never white....how did they become white? Cuz the Jews showed up.....how did Jews become white? Cuz the blacks and PRs showed up....and now we are having discussions about how PRs are white also....and how did that happen? Because Mexicans and Dominicans showed up. See a trend? I DO!

The better question is...who ISNT white these days? At this point, if you don't look visibly black, stereotypically Mexican (indigenous), or Asian, you are now white. Ridiculous. Of course this is off-topic, but people are confusing caucasian with white...and the 2 are very different. Caucasians include Europeans, Hispanics (majority of the populations), North Africans, Arabs, and large segment of India...but only some segment of Europeans are actually white (and even fewer Hispanics driven by migration).

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
"White is short for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants"

That limited usage explains a lot. Now I see what you mean when you say JLo doesn't look white

There aren't many white people in NY then. Plenty of Irish, Italian, Jewish and Slavic, but hardly any white.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
I thought shorthand for white-anglo-saxon-protestant was WASP.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
White is short for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants,
The Angles and Saxons were germanic tribes who invaded and settled Britain.
Would all the white people of the midwest who are of Swedish & Norwegian background be considered white/caucasian according to your criteria?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
bg7

Listen, I didn't even know I was "white" until about a month after arriving in America. Then I started to notice comments on the internet and other places about white this and white that, and white people do this blah blah, then black people do that etc etc. I took me some time to absorb all the concrete ideas that people had about race here. But I still get caught out, like SoBro's definition of white.

Its like the term "reverse racism". That can only have been coined by someone who's never really spent any time in the world at large and has swallowed, or experienced, a one-dimensional view of racism.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
BG7: It is not according to my criteria, it is according to history.

Likeminas: Yes all those populations are white also, and have always originally been white for the reasons you stated.

As successive waves of nonwhites flooded into NYC (and America overall), what does the white population do to maintain power? Have them join the club (to some extent)! So the white population has invited the Irish, Italians, Jews, Greeks, Slavs/Eastern Europeans to the party, and now those groups are pretty much taking off the hinges and allowing select Hispanics in. Welcome to (some) PRs! Just like a gang, unless you keep recruiting you will lose power.

As for NYC, the reality is it has not been very "white" for probably 70+ years, but that doesn't go over well so all of the above populations are white now. It is entertaining to enlighten Italians and Greeks that they are in fact not white..boy do they get angry! Jews at least will reluctantly acknowledge it.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM
bg7

So asians are white now too eh, part of the cabal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City