Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,004,819 times

Advertisements

Please - corporate America and Wall St. has too much at stake to take unqualified people who have connections.

There are PLENTY of Indians, east Asians, eastern Europeans, elite-schooled Muslims on Wall St- the key is getting qualified in the first place- Ivy League-level school or bust your ass and achieve at the lower levels in a top 1% way along with a heck of an aggressive, type-A personality about taking advantage of opportunities and you can get in regardless of skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,889,916 times
A foolish thread resurrected. If anything NYC has a very diverse corporate environment. Maybe not the MOST diverse but still very diverse.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,552,116 times
Off topic question but why do Blacks and Hispanics get special reservations/scholarships?

As for the OP, I always thought it was the "glass ceiling" issue. As one pointed out, you will many mid level and senior level positions filled by all types of colors and backgrounds. NYC residents seem to be in a precarious position. Corporates seem to prefer folks from other areas. Could be for a variety of reasons. Also, to be fair NYC attracts a lot of competition worldwide. Sadly, I feel those born and raised outside have a better chance nowadays. Stop N' Frisk can get a pothead locked up for minor possession with a record. Sure, its not serious but a when applying for such positons, you end up loosing.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM

420 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Off topic question but why do Blacks and Hispanics get special reservations/scholarships?
Because left-wing loons think that blacks/Hispanic are worse off economically because of whites and that "affirmative actiobn" (i.e. racism against whites) will level the playing field.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,566,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
pointed out, you will many mid level and senior level positions filled by all types of colors and backgrounds. NYC residents seem to be in a precarious position. Corporates seem to prefer folks from other areas. Could be for a variety of reasons. Also, to be fair NYC attracts a lot of competition worldwide. Sadly, I feel those born and raised outside have a better chance nowadays.
It's not that companies prefer non-natives, it's that companies in NY can draw from the best around the world. Someone born and raised in New York has the same chance as a non-native if they have similar educational backgrounds and experience.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,098,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
LOL - what a load of BS! Have you even worked in a corporate environment? I have - and for many years. It skews white (because most corporate jobs require at least a Bachelors degree, if not a Masters, and more whites are college graduates in the USA than blacks and Hispanics; Asians, who also tend to be be well educated, are becoming more prevalent, but are still a smaller a percentage of the population). I have worked with plenty of local Irish, Italians, Poles, Russians and other non-WASPs in corporate offices. I would hardly describe these workplaces as predominantly WASP and Jewish.
What a load of BS you are. I have worked in the corporate space before, I'm not fond of it but it is what it is. What I mean for Wasp and Jewish is that I meant that they are at the helm of the corporate space like executives, and some other positions top positions like CFO. I know blacks and ethnic New York whites who are in managerial positions in some corporate offices, but generally anything minority probably works with HR and or accounting departments. Asians like South Asian and East Asians work in IT departments to a greater degree. And yes and no duhhhh corporate jobs require nothing more than a bachelors degree here in NYC, hell even some require a masters degree and nothing less and that's something that Blacks, Hispanics and to a lesser degree local ethnic Whites do not have. Funny thing is that I had a job interview here in Austin Texas, corporate offices here seem to be very laxed on what college degrees people need to obtain certain jobs, generally they ask for 2 year degree at least, compared to NYC in which white collar space require a 4 year degree or even a Masters. As the Asian and Hispanic population continuously grow, maybe then corporate space will become more and more diverse. Your pretty stupid if you ask me, I already know that America is mostly white and to a higher degree more likely to go to college and exit out with a degree, that's something that you should have not mentioned, hell even a curious 5 five year old knows that.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,098,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It's not that companies prefer non-natives, it's that companies in NY can draw from the best around the world. Someone born and raised in New York has the same chance as a non-native if they have similar educational backgrounds and experience.

I know a few people who are local and work in the corporate space, and they are the last and the few locals who work in their corporate environment, most are not from NYC such as interns, mid tier workers, IT. If your a local New Yorker but you attend school out of state and come back to the city looking for work, once chances of landing a job is on par with most Transplants. If a local New Yorker attends schools and graduate from CUNY and SUNY schools, and running around looking for corporate jobs their chances dwindle because employers know CUNY and SUNY to some degree are not that great and poor academics attributed to NYC public school system follows candidates from kindergarten all the way to college in CUNY and SUNY institutions. But I do agree that NYC does a good job with drawing and pulling talent from across the country or even the world, but it cant pull talent from its own backyard. As a local New Yorker, when looking for a corporate job I do not apply for jobs in NYC, I prefer NJ, Westchester County or hell even other parts of the country, and I do get responses back. Also note if your a local and if you have an address from a shady area, that too can also hurt your chances of being employed. Some of my corporate interviews here in the city would have never happened if I did not use my friends address who lives on the UES.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,687,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
IBut I do agree that NYC does a good job with drawing and pulling talent from across the country or even the world, but it cant pull talent from its own backyard.
So this is based purely on your personal experience. I work at a corporate job in NYC and I went to public school here from 3rd to 12th grade and then went to a NYC college. The only thing that can be said is that being from NYC doesn't give you any preference for these jobs but you have the same chance as anyone else who qualifies.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,560,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I agree that blacks and hispanics are underrepresented in the business world but I think you're exaggerating this somewhat. But I do agree and here are my reasons;

+ Blacks and Hispanics within New York City have a very low High School graduation rate. The New York City Black graduation rate is about 60.4% and the Hispanic graduation rate within the city is at 59%. And for people with common-sense, if you don't have a High School Diploma then you aint gettin any kind of Office Job! Here's my source for the percentages:
Graduation Rate Increases But Students Still Not College Ready, Data Show - DNAinfo.com New York

+ A lot of the Black middle class have also migrated from New York City into the suburbs and other regions of the country. I'm Black and I live in the suburbs of NYC and both of my parents work in fairly diverse office environments. Keep in mind that the suburbs nowadays also have major job centers too and many people in suburbs also work in suburbs: many don't commute so this could be why you're seeing less minority office workers in the city.

+ Most Black people seem to choose careers that aren't business-related. When I was in Community College a few years ago (which was very diverse), most Black people chose careers like Nursing, Music, Fashion Design, Psychology, HVAC and other fields that aren't business-related [nothin wrong w/these fields]. Not too many black people chose fields like Business Administration, Accounting, Finance and Marketing. This could be b/c a lot of Black people believe that they won't be successful in the business world due to their race (but I think your success is much more dependant on other factors).
Quit lying to yourself it is not exaggerated.

It's called Nepotism and Cronyism OP

If you really take a look around, NYC is a very segregated place for all it's diversity. If you are white great, but if you are a minority get used to it. Truth of the matter is that in the work force 3 types of people:

A. Ones that want you to succeed very few
B. The ones that want you to fail
C. The ones that want you to be beneath them

It's not uncommon to hear that you are the only minority on your floor or there is only 3 on my entire floor. Just the way it is. Companies today just hire enough to meet heir quota, flush them out, hire some next year to meet their quota.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,687,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
It's called Nepotism and Cronyism OP
There is nepotism and cronyism everywhere, not just in NYC. Minority managers are just as likely to hire their own as a white manager. If you find yourself being held back based solely on your race, you should probably find another job and perhaps file a complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City