Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I think it is often a combination of things. For one, this area is a major location for immigrants. Many recent immigrants come here with little education from poorer countries. Our countries are not mostly Communist and we have no kind of caste-system. So, Latin American immigrants can be from any class when they come here and have little to a lot of education from their place of origin. I think that more and more immigrants over the years have been from lower classes. They have to work to support families and don't know much about the world of education. They sometimes pass this on to their children and can only guide them as far as 'Do well in school. Get an education'. Oftentimes, however, they don't have the home life to support this goal. They may have too many kids or family members, not enough quiet, too many personal issues, etc. They don't become involved in guiding their kids' educations because they are too busy working to survive. This can be a recipe for disaster.

The ease of coming from nearby countries adds to this problem. The bad come in just as easily with the good and there are issues of illegal immigration. It seems like minority groups that immigrate to more prosperous places are always given a hard time. In England, I have noticed that many are not overly pleased with East Indians/Pakastanis because they 'get benefits'...and now Muslims and Africans. In Australia and Canada, I have seen Asians compared to 'monkeys' and mistreated.

In the U.S., the majority often views latinos as a group that doesn't have its act together. Because the very poor and uneducated are mixed in with the higher classes...they are all lumped in together. Many Americans hate us because they just consider us all low class. The funny thing is that our countries are more similar to this country than those of the groups they favor. Even racially...some of us are predominantly European even if we have darker skin. I remember seeing a video where the NYC police were being protested for breaking up a soccer celebration. One Uruguayan lady (of clear German descent-blonde with blue eyes and no trace of non-European ancestry whatsoever) was screaming that the Italian American cop was a 'racist'. I thought her choice of the word was pretty funny considering that she was as white as white gets.

Anyhow, I think that Americans in position of power are often prejudiced and don't go out of their way to help latino students even if it is their job to do so. They don't really care and the parents are clueless oftentimes. We all need to unite to help eachother and our less fortunate members/recent immigrants.
This is significant, simply exhorting your kids to do well is rarely sufficient. That kid has to be very capable to do great under the circumstances you describe. The environment and support needs to be there. Parental drama that doesn't actually need to be drama needs to be removed. Stability and safety are highly advisable. Putting your children's education before your material desires and needs should be a priority. These cultural practices are not always obvious to people stuck in the middle of a life not currently proceeding that way.

If you see a bunch of people around you making their kids go to community-organized saturday classes, preventing kids from having cell phones when they are meant to be doing homework and when they are in their bedroom meant to be sleeping, keeping the TV off until the kids are in bed, discussing their homework with them and checking-in with their teachers each month as to any issues - then you'll likely do the same as a default. It works very well for low-income minority groups with children in the NYC specialized high schools coming from the poorer zip codes, they find themselves able to compete with their well-off peers. These things might seem like common-sense, but they are not common sense to someone for whom it has not been common. Spreading those sort of practices is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,362,114 times
Cushy? He corporate world is cut throat and unforgiving.

The only consistently cushy jobs I see are overpaid and underworked government positions and those are dominated by Blacks and Hispanics ( relative to their population percentage).

In fact, I've heard on more than one occasion that government jobs are " our jobs" (as in for Blacks and Hispanics) and not for Whites. The excuse? Whites have all the " good" jobs. of course that's a load of ****.

Let's not play this game because the only consistently cushy jobs aren't occupied by whites on the whole.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,357,562 times
From the mid 80s - early 2000s, there were a lot of blacks in the financial services. Many of these people have moved out of the city to the southeast. Also, a lot of blacks have always and still worked in civil service professional jobs. If you're not going to feel at ease in a job because you're never going to see people who look like you on your level, you may choose to not go into that field. That's how I felt working at a Park Avenue law firm in the marketing department. Left and went to work at a college.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Asian Americans have the highest average household income of any US racial group, including whites as a stand-alone group, in America (Pew Research 2010). Of the subgroups looked at, Indians had the highest average household income (Pew Research 2010). The research looked at Indian, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese subgroups.
At the end of the day, your race, whatever it is, doesn't pay your BILLS. You do. So average income is really pointless and a totally who gives a crap thing.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Damn you beat me to it. Baruch is one of the best business schools here in the city and highly successful one too, and yes plenty of minorities do very well at baruch, city college and Hunter and manage to get in to corporate jobs here in the city.
Or they graduate from a CUNY,and if they want to go grad school, many non whites in the city end up going to Ivy League grad schools if they did well at CUNY. CUNY is certainly an important stepping stone for a lot of people in the city.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Anyhow, I think that Americans in position of power are often prejudiced and don't go out of their way to help latino students even if it is their job to do so. They don't really care and the parents are clueless oftentimes. We all need to unite to help eachother and our less fortunate members/recent immigrants.
It gets to a certain point where people need to figure out how to help themselves.

I'm not a big fan of helping people. I'm not a social worker. And I sure didn't cause anyone to be down and out, so why should I be the cure?

The idea that its others JOB to someone help out trashy people (of any national origin) is just silly.

Things that help you get ahead in the US are simply, try not to have kids too young, don't get yourself locked up, and do well in school at least up to high school. This stuff is put out in the media, in school, etc. If some people refused to listen that is their problem, not mine.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
paying off all your student loans in your lifetime is like winning the lotto,
so most people will stay behind the 8-ball no matter what they do in this
country. you might as well stay poor for all that bs and let the other man
break his head to keep his phony spot over everybody else. it's an illusory
position anyway.
I've known plenty of people who paid of all their student loans in their lifetime. It depends on how much money you make.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
From the mid 80s - early 2000s, there were a lot of blacks in the financial services. Many of these people have moved out of the city to the southeast. Also, a lot of blacks have always and still worked in civil service professional jobs. If you're not going to feel at ease in a job because you're never going to see people who look like you on your level, you may choose to not go into that field. That's how I felt working at a Park Avenue law firm in the marketing department. Left and went to work at a college.
You're an idiot if you don't go into a field just because there are few blacks. Enjoy working at crappy welfare office jobs and wait till the city continues to cut civil service jobs out. I'm sorry, when people make lame excuse after lame excuse like this, you make people question your intelligence.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
There is nepotism and cronyism everywhere, not just in NYC. Minority managers are just as likely to hire their own as a white manager. If you find yourself being held back based solely on your race, you should probably find another job and perhaps file a complaint.
But that would mean being proactive and not just telling tales of woe is me. We can't have that, can we?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Quit lying to yourself it is not exaggerated.

It's called Nepotism and Cronyism OP

If you really take a look around, NYC is a very segregated place for all it's diversity. If you are white great, but if you are a minority get used to it. Truth of the matter is that in the work force 3 types of people:

A. Ones that want you to succeed very few
B. The ones that want you to fail
C. The ones that want you to be beneath them

It's not uncommon to hear that you are the only minority on your floor or there is only 3 on my entire floor. Just the way it is. Companies today just hire enough to meet heir quota, flush them out, hire some next year to meet their quota.
So how did Richard Parsons, Kenneth Chenault,(both Black) E. Stanley (I forget his last name, former black CEO of Merrin Lynch, ) Vikram Pandid (former Indian CEO of Citigroup) get their positions?

I would never say there's no discrimination, because it certainly exists. Yet their are non whites who have moved up to the top. There are those who can keep their jobs.

So maybe some of the FAILURES, need to honestly examine if there are internal reasons why they are FAILING.

Take a good, deep, long look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City