Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

hi!

so i was recently offered a job that entails working in the s. bronx. i really love the position and am excited about the challenges it'll bring, but i am concerned about safety in the s. bronx. i'll be working probably late some nights (think 6 PM, 7 PM), and am worried as to how safe the bronx is at night.

a little about myself, since it's relevant: i do not fit in the usual demographics of s. bronx; it's going to be pretty obvious that i'm not from there just from the color of my skin. secondly, ngl, i am a little lacking (ie. naive) on street smarts. i do have enough sense to have mastered the skills of "look straight ahead and walk fast" and "don't flaunt your valuables" though! (and yes, i'm a female.)

so? how "dangerous" is the bronx, especially at night? i've already read several threads on here, but i'm still not getting a good feel for the area.

thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Not as dangerous as the streets of most major American cities like Philadelphia,St Louis,D.C.,Chicago,Cleveland,Detroit,New Orleans,etc .

The crime rates of these cities in average neighborhoods is higher than the crime rate in the South Bronx.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM

657 posts, read 717,256 times
i live in the bronx ........ and you should take the job . you be ok . keep a bunch of single in your pockets separate from your real money and you can give it to any one if they ask for money or you feel threatened but i doubt you will need it ...

had mine for a couple of years before i started using it to buy my snack .lol.................. enjoy life ..... and congradulation on the job ...... and good luck

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Just for the record..unless you have green skin, people will not notice you or care. There are plenty of young, white female teachers that trek through every block in the Southern Bronx at varied hours, and they live to tell about it...imagine that! People of every color are moving into the area.

Your lack of basic street smarts should be your concern if you live or travel ANYWHERE in NYC, and not your skin color. The only places I have ever had issues in the past decade are in "nice" areas of Manhattan, Bryant Park, Times Square, Murray Hill. Beware!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:13 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,142 times
Dooooont go....be afraid.....be veeeeeeeeeeeeeery afraid....

Its white women huntin season. I spoke to some of my black and pr friends with 40s and and dominos, and they said this summer is the summer of gettawhitewomen.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Just remember 3 things:

you is good
you is kind
you is important

Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
6 or 7 PM is not late night. Unfamiliar with the South Bronx, but my instinct is 6 or 7 PM is fine, 11 PM would make me wary.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,503 times
thanks for the input everyone.

since this seems to be brought up in almost every single reply, i'm just going to clarify my OP.

tl;dr:
mentioning the words "color of my skin" was more to emphasize being an outsider based on looks more than anything related to race. in retrospect, a better way to have worded that sentence would be "i am worried about being mugged/assaulted because i would look like a dumb tourist who got lost in the bronx at night and therefore be an easy target".

and nyc77... wtf? again, i was more concerned about being targeted because i'd look like an outsider (think tourist) than because of my race.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancininthedark View Post
hi!

so i was recently offered a job that entails working in the s. bronx. i really love the position and am excited about the challenges it'll bring, but i am concerned about safety in the s. bronx. i'll be working probably late some nights (think 6 PM, 7 PM), and am worried as to how safe the bronx is at night.

a little about myself, since it's relevant: i do not fit in the usual demographics of s. bronx; it's going to be pretty obvious that i'm not from there just from the color of my skin. secondly, ngl, i am a little lacking (ie. naive) on street smarts. i do have enough sense to have mastered the skills of "look straight ahead and walk fast" and "don't flaunt your valuables" though! (and yes, i'm a female.)

so? how "dangerous" is the bronx, especially at night? i've already read several threads on here, but i'm still not getting a good feel for the area.

thanks y'all!
Why don't you e-mail me? If you'd like, I work here and lived here, now live in the Northwest Bronx, and could meet you and show you around. And, yes, I am female in my late 20s and Irish. bronxmoversandshakers@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: