Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,238 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out on what area to move to in NYC...

I'm 38yrs old and looking for a safe area, with a really good school district, and upper class area... or at least upper to middle class area...

Can someone provide a list or something?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Forest Hills, Queens

Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,238 times
Thanks Chava61

How about just Manhattan area?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
There is a single school district in NYC, the NYCDOE.
The best schools are in the suburbs of Westchester and Nassau.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM

436 posts, read 565,268 times
New York is a diverse city. You'll be hard-pressed to find one area anywhere in the city with all of your qualifications unless you go to somewhere like Westchester or Nassau like the above poster said.

But I think Douglaston might be the closest thing to fitting this topic, but it's on the eastern fringes of Queens and not close to any subway stations.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM

67 posts, read 244,405 times
The best school district overall seems to be District 26 but thats in North/Northwest Queens.

There are 6 districts in Manhattan with District 2 being the largest. I suggest you take a look at insideschools.org. It gives a general overview of the each district as well as information on the schools within each.

You should also be aware about 'zoning' within districts. Depending on where you move you may be 'zoned' for a particular school within your district so be sure you're not just looking at the districts as a whole so you don't get caught being in the district you want but having to send your kid to a school you didn't want in that district.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
There is a single school district in NYC, the NYCDOE.
The best schools are in the suburbs of Westchester and Nassau.
That's a pretty huge generalization. There are some horrendous schools in both Nassau County as well as Westchester County just like there are some amazing schools in Manhattan.

To the OP:

Are you looking for private or public schools?

Define "upper to Middle class" --- different people have different ideas on what constitutes "upper or upper middle class".

Are you buying or renting?? what kind of income do you have and can you afford a good area Remember, when renting in Manhattan, your income must be 44 times the rent or better.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Also to OP, how loaded are you? $ or $$$$$$$$?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srilwi View Post
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out on what area to move to in NYC...

I'm 38yrs old and looking for a safe area, with a really good school district, and upper class area... or at least upper to middle class area...

Can someone provide a list or something?

Thank you in advance!
You need to state a budget range for rent, and whether you can afford private school. How many children?

In Manhattan, those who can afford to send their children to private schools, DO SO! That includes the upper class and the upper middle class. The middle class scramble to do everything they can to get their children into the VERY few good schools and programs there are.

All in all good schools public or private is a HIGHLY competitive endeavor! More so than you have likely imagined. Only the well off can afford both the best neighborhoods and the best schools simultaneously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: