Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times

Advertisements

When I moved here, I assumed I would be in the city all the time after work, on weekends. But I realized that when I'm not working, I try to avoid the city at all costs. I'll come in and visit friends at their work if they work on a Saturday but otherwise, I try to just hang around Forest Hills.

Is this common? I have asked my co workers and they say about the same thing, they try to avoid the city like plague. Expensive, crowded, and at night and the weekend the train service is terrible. I'm not knocking Manhattan, I love it still, but living even 25 mins from the city seems annoying to actually go on your off time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
when you are young, it is fun to go out after work with friends, it is a novelty.

But after a while, it gets old, where after work, you just want to go home already.

One job we used to go to "starbucks" ( disco, not coffee shop) on 45th on thursdays for some reason.....after a while, that too is old.

we hardly ever go to the city anymore, we have everything here and more in brooklyn. at half the cost.

it is perfectly normal.

that way when you do have an event to go to in the city, it becomes fun.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Many people who rave that they could never live anywhere else rarely use the city, I mean Manhattan, but they like to know it is there if needed. Its the potential rather than the actual.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I enjoy going into the city on weekends, mainly because the Southern Bronx, and really the Bronx overall, has limited amenities. I will add that the weekend train service is really bad, so although I am 25 mins from 14th, it can still be very annoying, especially late night on weekends..best to just cab it home late nights.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
I wish i can post a picture of myself when my wife asks me to go shopping with her in the city.
After a couple of times.... she knows better and we usually end up at Roosevelt Field Mall or Manhasset Mall

Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I have a pick up, and it is 20 minutes from where I live, but because of Bridge and all road constructions all over the freaking place, and different closures in the wee hours of the mornings, sometimes we think twice about going to the city, and we have the D train at our corner, and that sucks as well, since they are doing track work and there is now shuttle bus service from one point to another.

so weekends travels to the city really suck a mundo.

glad I am getting old and dont care anymore, it is so draining.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
It's not just you man, I live on Convent in the 140s and I relish the quiet and uncrowded streets. I loathed having to go into midtown to work just because off all the tourist traffic, trains problems etc and was happy when I found out my real estate firm was moving their office uptown where we do most of our business.

I don't mind crowded Manhattan, but I'd rather hang out in lounges on Steinway or an unfrequented bar in Manhattan on the weekends.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:51 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
When I moved here, I assumed I would be in the city all the time after work, on weekends. But I realized that when I'm not working, I try to avoid the city at all costs. I'll come in and visit friends at their work if they work on a Saturday but otherwise, I try to just hang around Forest Hills.

Is this common? I have asked my co workers and they say about the same thing, they try to avoid the city like plague. Expensive, crowded, and at night and the weekend the train service is terrible. I'm not knocking Manhattan, I love it still, but living even 25 mins from the city seems annoying to actually go on your off time.
It's the commute -- 25 minutes to Manhattan and back and its perfectly logical that you'd want to stay in Forest Hills.

When I lived in Brooklyn I could go for 3 weeks without entering Manhattan to do *anything* simply because dealing with the trains is so exhausting and it didn't seem worth it. However, eventually I fell into a rut and starting coming back into Manhattan for a change--and realized it was mostly about my own attitude. Not every place is expensive you know -- you can eat and drink quite cheaply if you aren't around rich friends who insist on $70 meals and $15 drinks.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:44 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,775 times
Then what's the point - live in NJ and avoid the city resident income tax.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
I think that's the only reason I want to stay in the city. I love Queens and I think it's a great, diverse area. I can still hit up bars and don't have to pay 15 dollars for a beer.

I think I realized this more when my GF and I had our very rare date night (have a 14 month old so it's hard to have those nights) in the city doing the bars in Midtown East. We left at 1145pm and found no train service on the E from 53rd and Lex, no R service after 1153pm, no M. That left us with E running on the F so we had to double back. It was just long and irritating. Plus the trains were all backed up from earlier in the day. Just a way to kill a mood after you had fun.

Really the only area I go to now is Midtown East because of the bars and pubs. I did the Village a couple times, but going home drunk trying to navigate the trains late night, ugh. And cabs from Manhattan to Forest Hills get pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: