Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times

Advertisements

I am tired of all the ignorance about The Bronx(all ugly,dirty,dangerous) on this forum and decided to go out and take some photos of my neighborhood (Pelham Parkway) so people can see for themselves that it won't bite.

Maybe seeing photos like these will show people that there are very affordable,pleasant neighborhoods in The Bronx and other parts of the "outer" boroughs and they don't have to live in the ghetto because they can't afford more than $800 or 900/mo for an apartment.

I know I can't compete with mathjak in the photo award contest !
Attached Thumbnails
Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-pelham-parkway-2-5-station.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-white-plains-road.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-pelham-parkway-esplanade.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-brady-court.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-bronx-park-walk.jpg  

Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-esplanade.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-barnes.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-barnes-2.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-botanical-garden-entrance.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1049.jpg  

Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1062.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1059.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1064.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1054.jpg   Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1041.jpg  

Pelham Parkway( Bronx) Photos-img_1057.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
THANK YOU! I'm glad people can see something different finally! Of the Bronx that is. I'm glad you took time out and showed people a different perspective of the Bronx that's usually plagued by false images and gets a bad rap. If you don't mind taking a suggestion, I think you should take a picture of the long stretch of the green space and tree's that run going towards Pelham Bay park. Like once the red light goes on, and there's not many vehicles in the way, run in the middle of the street (if you're daring) and take some pictures. I would also recommend taking pictures of Pelham Bay area as well. It's definitely nice the more you go up.

If I had a camera, I would totally do it--but I don't so that's why I'm throwing that suggestion out there. Hope you don't get offended.

Thanks for the pictures though.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,213 times
Gorgeous, bluedog2. How about adding some pics of Lydig Ave.? I think a lot of folks might be under the erroneous impression that they might be bored away from Manhattan. Not so. Pelham Parkway, imho, is not only lush--the park, the tree-lined streets, etc.--but also vibrant with plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. Thanks so much for telling us about Pelham Parkway and posting these lovely pics.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
THANK YOU! I'm glad people can see something different finally! Of the Bronx that is. I'm glad you took time out and showed people a different perspective of the Bronx that's usually plagued by false images and gets a bad rap. If you don't mind taking a suggestion, I think you should take a picture of the long stretch of the green space and tree's that run going towards Pelham Bay park. Like once the red light goes on, and there's not many vehicles in the way, run in the middle of the street (if you're daring) and take some pictures. I would also recommend taking pictures of Pelham Bay area as well. It's definitely nice the more you go up.

If I had a camera, I would totally do it--but I don't so that's why I'm throwing that suggestion out there. Hope you don't get offended.

Thanks for the pictures though.
Thanks,Lital.
I will take some shots of further up The Parkway(towards Williamsbridge Rd and further East) next week.I didn't want to be accused of only showing pictures of the better half of the neighborhood ! LOL
All of these shots are within a few blocks (East or West) of White Plains Road which most people claim is not as nice as East of Williamsbridge.The White Plains Road part is also where I live so all of the shots are within 5 or 6 blocks of my apartment.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM

483 posts, read 854,092 times
Unfortunately I hear misconceptions about the Bronx all the time. I know this lady who was searching for an apartment and I mentioned the Bronx and she immediately dismissed it because of high crime. I'm like, "you live in East New York, you really shouldn't be judging anywhere." She looked a little stupid after that! How can people think that every single neighborhood in a borough is bad? I mean C'mon, think about it!

Look at those luscious trees!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
You aren't bad unless you are from the ghetto or barrio, I didn't know I lived in a ghetto until I heard about it on TV. I didn't even know I was poor. I see celebreties on TV trying to coonvince me that the suburbs they were from were ghettos

Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Gorgeous, bluedog2. How about adding some pics of Lydig Ave.? I think a lot of folks might be under the erroneous impression that they might be bored away from Manhattan. Not so. Pelham Parkway, imho, is not only lush--the park, the tree-lined streets, etc.--but also vibrant with plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. Thanks so much for telling us about Pelham Parkway and posting these lovely pics.
OK,Nala,this one's for you! Your new street!
I didn't post it before because I was a bit disappointed at how it came out.I wanted to get a shot of the most bustling part of Lydig with a train on the el.It came out all right I guess but I am going to do a re shoot this week and stand in the middle of Lydig and a little further back from White Plains Rd.I had a picture in my mind's eye and this didn't quite capture all the elements I was after and the parked cars got in the way a bit ..... but since you asked:
Attachment 67874
Wish me luck trying to get into the middle of Lydig at the moment a train is going by !

Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM

68 posts, read 297,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Yeah, would love to see some urban pics of BX. To mix it up with the green and remind everybody you are still in NYC. Nicer restaurants are very few and far between. Anybody wanna do a thread for restaurants/bars/shops for Bronx? Because everything is on the few commercial strips and certain remote areas in the borough, sort of like a mini guide for Bronx.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Unfortunately I hear misconceptions about the Bronx all the time. I know this lady who was searching for an apartment and I mentioned the Bronx and she immediately dismissed it because of high crime. I'm like, "you live in East New York, you really shouldn't be judging anywhere." She looked a little stupid after that! How can people think that every single neighborhood in a borough is bad? I mean C'mon, think about it!

Look at those luscious trees!
Exactly the kind of misconception I'm trying to counteract.

Then we have the endless posts from newbies who wind up in really bad and unsafe areas because their resources are limited and they think that bad neighborhoods are their only option.Not to mention the outsiders who post about how NYC is impossible to live in unless you are a millionaire because the whole city outside of mid and lower Manhattan is a crime ridden ghetto.

The rents around Pelham Parkway range from 800 or 900 for a very large and decent studio to 1200 or so for a real 2 br 2 bath with dining room and eat in kitchen.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM

34,033 posts, read 47,252,748 times
good job.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City