Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 27,831 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has info on Brady Court in Pelham Parkway / Bronxdale , The Bronx?
It's a complex of Tudor-style prewar buildings that look nice. Nervous because I don't know the Bronx very well and its management company, R-Y Managment has some really rundown properties, like the Tracey Towers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
I think bluedog lives around there. he could advise you

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagliani View Post
Wondering if anyone has info on Brady Court in Pelham Parkway / Bronxdale , The Bronx?
It's a complex of Tudor-style prewar buildings that look nice. Nervous because I don't know the Bronx very well and its management company, R-Y Managment has some really rundown properties, like the Tracey Towers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated1
I looked at some apartments in Brady Court when I was looking to buy in the neighborhood about 4 years ago. It's ok but not great IMO.There are a lot of Co Op buildings in the Pelham Parkway neighborhood and I looked in them all.Brady Court seemed very much in the middle.Not one of the best but certainly not one of the worst either.The grounds are beautiful and the apartments are nice sized and nicely laid out.The ones with courtyard views are especially nice.I think the co op had some financial and maintenance problems 10 or 15 years ago but it seems to be recovering in the last 5 or 10 years.

The maintenances seemed high to me ,which is something to consider.Not sure whether it's because of the high costs of maintaining the grounds or because of high underlying debt on the complex.

The neighborhood is great.Lots of owners because of all the co ops,lots of stores and restaurants,proximity to Bronx Park and the zoo and botanical garden and nice transportation links and very little crime.

Ry management is huge so they manage a lot of decent properties in addition to places like tracey towers so I wouldn't base my decision solely on them.

Best co op building in the neighborhood is probably 601 Pelham Parkway.Avoid 2081 and 2225 Cruger and 2075 Wallace.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-12-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Thank you for the replies. I love 601 N. Pelham Parkway but am looking for something over 1200 sq ft and all I ever see on market there are 1 bedrooms, though I understand some floorplans are bigger.

Bluedog2, are there other buildings in Pelham Parkway that you like?

I would add 2191 Bolton to my personal avoid list; that street felt unnecessarily sketchy and I don't like the building's finances. As I understand it, the reserve fund is only $54K and maintenance is going up by 20% in a few months. Yeah, I'll pass.

Not sure how to feel about Brady's maintenance charges and I guess I won't unless I see all of the building's financials. I toured several apartments and buildings in the complex and can't complain about the condition of any of them. It seems like a nice place to live and in just a few hours we met / saw, black, white, Hispanic, East Asian, Pacific Islander folks in the complex.

P.S. Anyone else looking in Brady Court might want to know that a new day care is opening up almost next door; it's called the Green Star Day Care at Wallace. No info on it yet because the signage for the space just went up.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagliani View Post
Thank you for the replies. I love 601 N. Pelham Parkway but am looking for something over 1200 sq ft and all I ever see on market there are 1 bedrooms, though I understand some floorplans are bigger.

Bluedog2, are there other buildings in Pelham Parkway that you like?

I would add 2191 Bolton to my personal avoid list; that street felt unnecessarily sketchy and I don't like the building's finances. As I understand it, the reserve fund is only $54K and maintenance is going up by 20% in a few months. Yeah, I'll pass.

Not sure how to feel about Brady's maintenance charges and I guess I won't unless I see all of the building's financials. I toured several apartments and buildings in the complex and can't complain about the condition of any of them. It seems like a nice place to live and in just a few hours we met / saw, black, white, Hispanic, East Asian, Pacific Islander folks in the complex.

P.S. Anyone else looking in Brady Court might want to know that a new day care is opening up almost next door; it's called the Green Star Day Care at Wallace. No info on it yet because the signage for the space just went up.
Lol,I looked at 2191 Bolton and was horrified that the trash was kept right out in the hallways....no maintenance rooms for trash and recycling.

I think 665 Thwaites is pretty good and 2244 Bronx Park East also.2244 Bronx Park East's hallways and lobby need a little help but the apartments are great ,with fantastic views of Bronx Park and I think the finances are ok.Nice park view apartments at 2160 and 2166 Bronx Park East and 2190 Boston Road too.I think there is an 1,100 or 1,200 Sq ft @ 665 Thwaites available now unless it sold recently. Here is the listing;
665 Thwaites Place #3M, Bronx NY - Trulia
The part of Pelham Parkway where these buildings( and 601) are is a little quieter and less congested than South of the Parkway, yet still only a few blocks from all the stores,subway,etc.

Another poster on here,"Vic Future", bought a coop a few years ago in the building with entrances on both Wallace and Holland between Brady and Lydig.I can't remember the #'s 2105 Wallace? 2104 Holland? Anyway,I think that is a good building.Vic seems happy there...you might want to dm her to get the lowdown on the finances,culture,etc.

601 has some great 1,200 and 1,500 sq ft apartments but they come on the market very infrequently and are pricey for the neighborhood.Only 2 that I have known about in the last 5 years.But check the management company's website frequently because you never know.Sponsor apartments in that building and at 2244 Bronx Park East sometimes pop up on the Maxx site and sell without ever really being marketed by regular brokers.They sell a lot of apartments directly on their own.This is the site:Maxx Realty

I think there are a lot of bigger( 3 br ) apartments in 2199 Holland.It looks well maintained but I don't know much about it. Also must have some apartments with nice park views.Some of the other buildings on that block,like 2187,don't look as well maintained.

I think about 1/2 of the buildings in the neighborhood are co ops.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-13-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I lived in the Thwaites Pl, Waring Avenue area. Very nice streets back then. Seems like they still are. Apartments had very nice details like wood plank flooring, crown molding, high ceilings. Thwaites used to have carpeted hallways and a very nice lobby. I was going to purchase there but I wanted a 2/2 and all they had at the time was a Jr. 4. 2/2s with a terrace used to be pretty rare. I can safely say that area tends to retain its value and is in demand due to the walkability and close proximity to transportation. Bronx Park and Botanical Garden proximity helps with resale as well. Makes me wish I held onto my apt and just rented it out instead of selling it...

Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,813 times
Hi there! Im now 18 months into my purchase of a Co Op on 2102 Holland Ave - our unit is about 1200 sq ft - 2 bedrooms with separate dining area & kitchen. Hardwood floors throughout. The lobby's are carpeted and there is an elevator. The Super & Porters are the best!! Building is super clean - I HAVE NO ROACHES - and have seen 2 waterbugs in 18 months BOTH in the basement (where I expect to see them). Building also has free bi monthly pest control & yearly bed bug checks.

The area is working class. A HUGE rehab on White Plains road was a welcome relief to fixing the potholes. Cruger had some work done, but Lydig is in need of pothole repair.

There is very good police presence, with daily/nightly patrol cars that are very friendly and stop if you flag them.

The area has some big name store chains as well as some great Mom & Pop's.

As a mom, safety was a HUGE concern. the 49th has a great track record. The police DO come when you call. The streets are busy but not full of ppl loitering at night. I feel totally safe at night (as late as 1230 am) walking alone

MAIN PROBLEMS with this building is Mgmt - COMPLETELY USELESS to settle any tenant disputes. You pretty much get the 'wait & see' attitude. Most of the problems arise when you live under/over Renters who ARE NOT BEHOLDEN to the Co-op bi-laws. SO basically if they pay their rent, you cant do ANYTHING. I am the meat in a Rental sandwich. Both above & below neighbors are beyond bad. I do not want to taint you view of the building. Just find out if you neighbors are Owners or Renters.

I KNOW there are 2 large (2 bdrm) Units for sale - One is in 2102, the other in 2107 Wallace (I think) AWAYE REALTY is the agency you will be going through.

I have been told the 2105 -07 Wallace buildings are not as nice (more renters than owners and face a busy street. 2102-04 faces a school yard, which is noisy as school starts & ends. but that's not a long time, and afterwards the blocks is very quiet.

All in all, despite my AWFUL predicament w my neighbors (who if I have any luck will be DEAD in the next 5 yrs) I LOVE my apt. I love my neighborhood and would probably move to the 6th floor if I had to change anything.

DM if you want a GREAT RE agent with 25 yrs exp in this area.
VF

Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,813 times
I forgot to mention, the reason we DIDNT move into Brady Court was a sex offender was literally above the unit that we would have been buying. His crime was so brutal I cried when i read his rap sheet. Use the sex offender registry to find out who lives in your area.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,491 times
665 Thwaites is my old building. I'm going to put my junior 4 on the market soon. The jr 4s are about 800 sq feet so too small for what you want. I was in the building not too long ago though and one of my former neighbors said one of the two bed rooms might be going up for sale soon too. That would probably be the size you want. I'm not sure how substantial that rumor is but can't hurt to keep an eye out and see if anything pops up in listings.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I can safely say that area tends to retain its value and is in demand due to the walkability and close proximity to transportation. Bronx Park and Botanical Garden proximity helps with resale as well. Makes me wish I held onto my apt and just rented it out instead of selling it...
It's interesting that you say that...I was under the impression that because co-op prices were so low compared to Brooklyn that they must be stagnant but after doing some research, you are right. There really is a nice amount of appreciation in any number of the units in the neighborhood (those purchased at the top of the market being the exception, I suppose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City