Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I agree, but people like Latoya also lied on their mortagage applications and got tehmselves in their own hot water. I am not taking away the fact that banks used predatory practices to get people mortgages for home that they could ill afford, but your responsibility as a consumer is to do your homework and be honest with yourself about your true networth and how much you can afford. I'm sorry, I cannot feel sorry when people with bad credit got themselves underwater in debt and are foreclosed upon when I have an almost 800 credit score and a down payment, and banks want to see I have almost 50% of the down payment. Please spare me...
They didn't "lie" on their mortgage applications...what happened is majority of the time the loan officers filed "no doc" loans. Also convincing them to do adjustable mortgage rate loans. But no harm in placing blame on both sides. There are homeowners out there who did not do their HW as well. That I agree. But guess who got bailed out 1st? The banks, or Joe the plumber?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its not ok for anybody to not get off their behind and not work. Where in any of my previous posts did I say that? I have a problem with people dumping on other simply because they receive welfare. There are some who genuinely need it and don't abuse and still get looked down upon.
Exactly.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldt View Post
Wow. Stories from the trenches...

It goes to show that human nature is ingenious at figuring ways to survive & prosper on the least possible amount of work. But this kind of mischief ultimately saps the whole system, because anyone exposed to it loses faith in the integrity of the government and its citizens.

I know that sounds corny and naive, but I believe it. This cynical behavior indicates a society in decline.
The culture of Goldman Sachs does as well, but at least people take discussions of reform seriously no matter how much they get watered down in legislation.

By not cracking down on people who abuse the system, we infantilize them and encourage dependency and failure of morals.
Fixed.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times
Quote:

By not holding poor people to the same standards that most of us are held to, we infantilize them and encourage dependency and failure of morals.
Well said and so true!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
Once a person is found in the position of having to ask for help- There is usually a reason or a sequence of events that leads to that point. If what got them there in the first place is not addressed and dealt with- Then in a short time it becomes a hopeless task to re-build the broken person. Rarely do services that provide help even think of restoring the person to their previous social and economic status. They will take them and attempt "retraining" for jobs that do not exist- or forcing them to "volunteer" in the hope that they will re-install them back into society- but in reality it amounts to people working for nothing.

The problem is a lot of these polices are devised to adjust down and out people to what is perceived as the new world economy. Rarely are people restored...They expect then to step down the ladder a few rungs rather than take up where they left off. People simply give up- time passes...and they adjust to grinding poverty...The safety net is more like a rat trap..The authorities assume that people who end up at the bottom deserve it and belong there---so they leave them there,

Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
And most importantly, parents in bad neighborhoods on average are much less invested and involved in their kids doing well than in better neighborhoods. Sorry to say this, but it's true.
Why are you sorry to say it ? It is absolutely true and the core of the problem. People should stop apologizing. Do not listen to the people at the Community Board meetings who try to tell you that you are "racist" for pointing out any problem adjacent to, near to, or involving anyone they would identify as "black."

There was a show on ny1 last night about gun violence and people called and wrote in. We heard some nuts, most notably one woman who babbled (loudly and inarticulately) that any and all guns are planted in the hands of the male ghetto folk to make sure they have felony convictions and therefore can never get a job. Shootings, therefore, are the responsibility of these conspirators. I know quite well the history of similar things but we live in a different time. Not better, just different.

But we also heard a lot of very smart people, family people who sounded like us, and they all expressed the conviction that the core issue is parenting. Several expressed disbelief that the greater society is so willing to let people slide with so many excuses, and they were angry. They mentioned time and money spent on "nails," "weaves," etc., but no time or money for the child - or children, we should say. It is always plural. I also believe this, based on experience and common sense. I see and deal with such people every day.

Oh, and, for the always "race" focused among you ? Most were clearly black people, a few stated this. That's because the gun violence in happening in their neighborhoods, just like it is happening in ours. Indeed, several people called in from this area.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM

The title of the thread SHOULD be:

"Is there a morality specific to lifestyle public assistance" ?

Because all sorts of people have disasters and tragedies and need help. We should help them. But the lifestyle welfare people are a different story, and they are the problem.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
I am glad that you think the blacks in the community are the problem, and that you the self-identified "smart people" know what's right and wrong. You keep spinning the smae rhetoric about the ignorant black person blaming everyone for their problem.....all people are like this and it is not inherent to blacks..it is a societal change. The only people that saved Harlem are the locals, not the alleged "smarties" who showed up a decade later to ridicule and criticize.

Stop posting your anecodotal observations as representative of all Harlem residents...the only person that is not representative of Harlem is you.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am glad that you think the blacks in the community are the problem, and that you the self-identified "smart people" know what's right and wrong. You keep spinning the smae rhetoric about the ignorant black person blaming everyone for their problem.....all people are like this and it is not inherent to blacks..it is a societal change. The only people that saved Harlem are the locals, not the alleged "smarties" who showed up a decade later to ridicule and criticize.

Stop posting your anecodotal observations as representative of all Harlem residents...the only person that is not representative of Harlem is you.
Thank you for recognizing that us locals have done a great deal in the neighborhoods. The grandparents could not save Lenox Terrace but at least they got out before things got really negative.

I do resent the assumption that as a "smart" person, I could not possibly be black or local ! Actually, I resent that quite a bit. Many of us do but it is quite common to encounter it. This is understood to be actual racism.

Many times I have had the sense that SobroGuy knows nothing at all about Harlem - not quite getting things right.

I don't know, everyone. Is is craziness, giving up coffee ...? or what. The instability and eclipses of reason.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Thank you for recognizing that us locals have done a great deal in the neighborhoods. The grandparents could not save Lenox Terrace but at least they got out before things got really negative.

I do resent the assumption that as a "smart" person, I could not possibly be black or local ! Actually, I resent that quite a bit. Many of us do but it is quite common to encounter it. This is understood to be actual racism.

Many times I have had the sense that SobroGuy knows nothing at all about Harlem - not quite getting things right.

I don't know, everyone. Is is craziness, giving up coffee ...? or what. The instability and eclipses of reason.
Giving up coffee is crazy. Scientific fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City