Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

How can he support himself while working as an apprentice, and hoping for the recession to ease a bit more, where people are confident in spending on luxuries like multiple beauty appointments? Even the higher-end salons have had issues with business not being up to par as I know from comments that my mother, lady friends, etc. have made regarding the comparative lack of difficulty in securing an appointment at the last minute, i.e., they are not squeezed into a schedule with the requisite heavy tip for such accommodation as the salon is only too happy to get their business.

PBS also had a special on it, "Close to Home," that was filmed in 2009 and chronicled the effect of the recession on one particular east side hair salon, albeit a smaller salon, both in terms of the customers and the proprietress. There are people who just don't have the money to burn that they once did with multiple beauty appointments per week/month.

If he is willing to work hard, and I mean hard, for little to no money, and live and breathe the world of a salon worker, learning at every opportunity, and commuting himself to sacrifice, he can likely last long enough to get established at a salon. If he is more committed to living an idealized version of NYC, then perhaps he should rethink this move, and look to a city that has a lower cost of entry.

The living situation for someone committed to making it would be a clean, safe room with reasonably efficient transportation to Manhattan, and place to store the uniform of the trade. Nightlife, shopping, dining, bruch, even romantic relationships etc. should not even be considerations as the sole focus is to make himself indispensable to those in the industry to gain recognition. If the others fit in with the plan, when getting established, so be it, but I don't think I would welcome the extra drama, combined with relocation, when looking at the beauty/esthetic industry.

He is seeking to gain entry into a very competitive industry, and if he has sights set on a higher-end salon, he needs to earn the right to be given a break from the owner/manager, not just showing up, as they can get a hundred other potential candidates to do that. Underscore that with him, and have him seriously evaluate his commitment, since the lifestyle he is seeking may not happen for a coupe of years with hard work. Simply put, to work for the best, he needs to be the best.

You've been through the relocation to NYC, yourself, so you know what to expect, and the costs. I sincerely question his commitment when he is looking for higher-end surroundings, when able to afford a room in a decent, safe, outer borough location, but far from the sidewalks of Park Avenue. If he is realistic, he stands a chance, but coming in with dreams of SATC, Gossip Gril, or Friends is not realistic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Auto text correction on tablets can sometimes produce hilarious results - indispensible vs. indefensible in this case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
also, did he go to a top school for cosmetology? going to an Aveda school vs going to mom and pop school makes a difference even if your portfolio is killer. and does the cosmetology license transfer over to NY or does he have to retake the board? just because you have a license in one state doesn't mean you have a license in every state.

it's kind of weird how the licensing thing works because in michigan you need 1500 hours of schooling to be able to take the state boards, in new york you only need 1000 and the license from michigan doesn't transfer over in any way what so ever. you still have to retake the state board exam.

he can get an application for the license on the DOS website for new york and he can get a temporary license for 6 months so at least he will be licensed before he gets to nyc

Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Hi everyone. My close friend Irvin, a gay man in his early twenties, is contemplating a move to NYC. I have experience living there but wanted to ask for those better acclimated with the city. He is planning to move with limited savings (about $5,000) to work as a stylist in an upscale salon. He says he loves New York but constantly complains that 'if you aren't in the rich areas it's too ghetto'. I told him on day one that he wouldn't most likely be in a prime area, especially starting out. But he is in love with NYC and said he will make it work anyway. I'm just really worried about him. He is very thin, artistic... I can't see him in a rough area. He keeps asking me about neighborhoods, etc. I don't know what to tell him. If he secures a good job prior to his move, do you see him being okay? I'm almost at the point where I want to talk him out of it. What would you say to a good friend who is determined to make something work? He said he's willing to pay $800-1000 per month on rent, and is willing to live with roommates. I suggested Astoria and Sunnyside as I know those are good places with a quick commute into Manhattan. I really just sort of feel helpless at this point of what else to say...
Astoria & Sunnyside are good areas that would fit the budget that you mention.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Yes, he is at a good school and is at the top of his class. He has built a good portfolio- I would not say excellent because I'd be lying... but it is respectable enough I think, especially seeing he's just starting out. I told him since he is finishing in January to look over the holiday break. It's kind of crazy to think there may be a hundred applicants for a high-end salon position, but I definitely believe it. I also believe he has a good chance, despite those odds. He has amazing potential, I just see it. And who says he has to start out at Garren or something like that? Couldn't he find something more mid-range and still get by okay? I agree with the other posters though- because part of me thinks none of it will be good enough for him. You have to understand he thinks NYC is like what he sees on TV- this is the way it is for a lot of Midwesterners who never lived in the city. That's why I suggested taking a trip over the holiday, to get his feet wet. Thank you so much everyone for the advice, I think a lot of it is very good and I'm definitely going to relay it to him.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-31-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Let him move to Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City