Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:19 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

65% or 6.5%?

i think that Jerome Avenue is affected by the Towers but Mosholu Pkwy east of the Concourse is really nice. I like the concept of the whole area where you have those streets that go up to the Oval and on the other side you have the Jerome Park Reservoir. a big area with lots of parks and open spaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
65% or 6.5%?

I think that jerome avenue is affected by the towers but mosholu pkwy east of the concourse is really nice. I like the concept of the whole area where you have those streets that go up to the oval and on the other side you have the jerome park reservoir. A big area with lots of parks and open spaces
65%

Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
Default Good News Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes...Tracey Tower needs to go. The people that live there are no different than people that would live in the projects. Remove all the Tracey Tower residents and make those units into market co-ops and hopefully attract higher earning individuals who will act more civilized and have pride in their property and neighborhood.

The good news is, I read in the paper the other day that the tenants in Tracey Tower loss their case in blocking the rent increases and their rents will now go up 65% in 4 years. Hopefully that will be enough to price out those people from Tracey Towers thus allowing the opportunity to bring in new, better behaved people as residents that will improve the towers and neighborhood. We shall see.
Hilltop,

That is good news! They won't be rich folks, but will definately be better than more section 8 hoods/thugs. I think all projects need to get leveled. They have really harmed the Bronx more than helped.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
It's not the housing projects that have harmed the Bronx, it is the total mismanagement of the housing projects which have harmed the entire city. When you are guaranteeing housing for life to every man/woman/child who demands it, NYC is required to house them all somewhere = housing projects.

As soon as you have a reversal of that mandate, only then will the housing projects truly change, and NYC for that matter. But for the foreseeable future, anyone and everyone is coming to NYC to demand housing for life, and getting it.

Case in point:

My uncle's girlfriend's mother moved in with them in the Bronx. She is a destitute elderly woman who lives on $600 of social security, and not a penny to her name. There was no room for her in their apt, and they had no interest in moving, so they sent her to the homeless shelter to say she was homeless, knowing full well the city would house her, for life. Of course, she had to spend 3 months going in and out of a homeless shelter, and how someone could allow their own mother to go through that is beyond me but that is for another discussion. Within 3 months she has a brand new 1 bedroom apt in Longwood in a new affordable housing building for $200 a month (including utilities), FOR LIFE. She has a boyfriend now, and spends most of her time in his apt, and her grandson stays in her apt, for free of course. On a side note, I see her every so often pushing a giant shopping cart digging through public garbage cans for bottles (to get the 5 cent refund). I alerted them to this fact, to which they stated "Oh that's just her hobby."

Gotta love this city!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's not the housing projects that have harmed the Bronx, it is the total mismanagement of the housing projects which have harmed the entire city. When you are guaranteeing housing for life to every man/woman/child who demands it, NYC is required to house them all somewhere = housing projects.

As soon as you have a reversal of that mandate, only then will the housing projects truly change, and NYC for that matter. But for the foreseeable future, anyone and everyone is coming to NYC to demand housing for life, and getting it.

Case in point:

My uncle's girlfriend's mother moved in with them in the Bronx. She is a destitute elderly woman who lives on $600 of social security, and not a penny to her name. There was no room for her in their apt, and they had no interest in moving, so they sent her to the homeless shelter to say she was homeless, knowing full well the city would house her, for life. Of course, she had to spend 3 months going in and out of a homeless shelter, and how someone could allow their own mother to go through that is beyond me but that is for another discussion. Within 3 months she has a brand new 1 bedroom apt in Longwood in a new affordable housing building for $200 a month (including utilities), FOR LIFE. She has a boyfriend now, and spends most of her time in his apt, and her grandson stays in her apt, for free of course. On a side note, I see her every so often pushing a giant shopping cart digging through public garbage cans for bottles (to get the 5 cent refund). I alerted them to this fact, to which they stated "Oh that's just her hobby."

Gotta love this city!
I agree Sobro. The powers that be in NYC (democrats/liberals) are the culprits to such stupid housing laws. And look at it this way...where does the MONEY to house people in shelters and subsidize their rent come from? Us regular, working, non-program people! WE FOOT the bill to have trashy people live, stay put, and roam our streets in NYC.

It's a damn shame because had the City been less sympathetic towards poor/homeless people and not go so hard in providing housing for them, those very same poor people would of never came to NYC to take advantage of our homeless-friendly housing laws. In addition, the native NYers who can no longer afford to live in NY would relocate down south or elsewhere where the cost of living is less. But of coarse DEMOCRATS need to pander the low-income demographic as that is their voter base and the demographic that keeps them in power. What a shame because NY can be a much more desirable place to live in if it wasn't for such liberal laws that hinder progress.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 12-03-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
Exclamation Wow, Sobro and Hilltop Agree

Quote:
I agree Sobro. The powers that be in NYC (democrats/liberals) are the culprits to such stupid housing laws. And look at it this way...where does the MONEY to house people in shelters and subsidize their rent come from? Us regular, working, non-program people! WE FOOT the bill to have trashy people live, stay put, and roam our streets in NYC.

It's a damn shame because had the City been less sympathetic towards poor/homeless people and not go so hard in providing housing for them, those very same poor people would of never came to NYC to take advantage of our homeless-friendly housing laws. In addition, the native NYers who can no longer afford to live in NY would relocate down south or elsewhere where the cost of living is less. But of coarse DEMOCRATS need to pander the low-income demographic as that is their voter base and the demographic that keeps them in power. What a shame because NY can be a much more desirable place to live in if it wasn't for such liberal laws that hinder progress.

When those laws were put on the books, NY was much richer. Now, not so much. Those laws need to go.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post

When those laws were put on the books, NY was much richer. Now, not so much. Those laws need to go.
They really do.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Yes...Tracey Tower needs to go. The people that live there are no different than people that would live in the projects. Remove all the Tracey Tower residents and make those units into market co-ops and hopefully attract higher earning individuals who will act more civilized and have pride in their property and neighborhood.

The good news is, I read in the paper the other day that the tenants in Tracey Tower loss their case in blocking the rent increases and their rents will now go up 65% in 4 years. Hopefully that will be enough to price out those people from Tracey Towers thus allowing the opportunity to bring in new, better behaved people as residents that will improve the towers and neighborhood. We shall see.

Any bets that the tenants who you most despise will get the $$$ to stay. Section 8 or illicit earnings.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post

Yes and you all will have to stop paying $7.25 an hour too. I mean some one does do those jobs you ought to know.

Cant have it both ways. High rents and low wages.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Any bets that the tenants who you most despise will get the $$$ to stay. Section 8 or illicit earnings.
I bet you're right which further solidifies my point of those residents being equivalent to ghetto project trash. Don't let the Mitchell-Lama title fool you, its all the same crap with same social issues. Tracey Towers ruined Norwood once it was built and the low lives began to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City