Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 24,571 times

Advertisements

Hi,I am going to to new york city in october the 12, I will be staying in the upper east side of Manhattann by 82 Street.
How can I get to midtown (the fastest and cheapest way). I know the closest subway is lexington av.
I amnot familiar with new York, and will appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Holgazana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM

43 posts, read 216,125 times
Take a bus from the airport (it's called the "New York Express" bus and it runs from both La Guardia and JFK. I think it's either $12 or $15 one way). Take the bus to the east side, the Grand Central Station stop. Tell the bus driver that you want the Grand Central stop when you get on the bus - that's how they sort your luggage, so you can find it when you get off.

You will get off the bus at 41st or 42nd Street and Park Avenue. Walk straight ahead one block and you will be at Grand Central Station. Go downstairs to the subway and take the Lexington Ave. 4, 5, or 6 train to 86th Street. This is the closest stop to where you are going.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:48 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantraveler View Post
Take a bus from the airport (it's called the "New York Express" bus and it runs from both La Guardia and JFK. I think it's either $12 or $15 one way). Take the bus to the east side, the Grand Central Station stop. Tell the bus driver that you want the Grand Central stop when you get on the bus - that's how they sort your luggage, so you can find it when you get off.

You will get off the bus at 41st or 42nd Street and Park Avenue. Walk straight ahead one block and you will be at Grand Central Station. Go downstairs to the subway and take the Lexington Ave. 4, 5, or 6 train to 86th Street. This is the closest stop to where you are going.
an even cheaper way would be to take the airtrain to jamaica, then take the e train a few stops to 71rd/continental then get off that train and wait for an F train on the same track, take that train to 63 st. and Lexington where you will transfer to the uptown #6 train to 86 street, costs $5 for the airtrain and $2 for the subway.

and you miss the traffic which can be heavy

Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM

479 posts, read 879,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
an even cheaper way would be to take the airtrain to jamaica, then take the e train a few stops to 71rd/continental then get off that train and wait for an F train on the same track, take that train to 63 st. and Lexington where you will transfer to the uptown #6 train to 86 street, costs $5 for the airtrain and $2 for the subway.

and you miss the traffic which can be heavy
Definitely the cheapest. The route given is good except she would stay on the E train to 53rd/Lex and catch the uptown #6. The 63rd street F station does not connect to the 4,5,6, line.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
If you check her other post on this board which is almost identical, it seems she is not asking how to get there from the airport, but rather, how to get from the upper east side to midtown. She doesn't mention anything about the airport in this post.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 AM

309 posts, read 900,733 times
Walk to Lexington Avenue and 86th street to catch the #6 downtown train. Get a subway map from the clerks when you get your fare ticket. You can also ask the clerks or any uniformed policemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: