Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 AM

45 posts, read 71,370 times

Advertisements

Congrats to everyone who is starting tomorrow... we waited a long time...

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 606313X View Post
I doubt you can make an educated decision based on 2 months on the job... while it is your right to vote you should check out what both parties have to say. Where are you assigned? Is your business agent readily available 24/7 by phone (and if so does he call back), does he visit your garage at roll call with news about contracts, other problems? My business agent does NONE of that. He won't even give out his phone number in case you get in a bind on the 12-8 and you need guidance or whatever. My BA was Philly - who gave out his number, called you back, religiously visited the garage every Tuesday, knew everyone by name, etc.
If you're BA does none of this, he is out of touch - which to me is an extension of the hierarchy at the top. Time to put out the trash.

All kidding aside though, I think we should keep the union stuff to a minimum on this PUBLIC forum for all to see. Check out the blog as someone else referenced or get yourself added to the DSNY group on Facebook that is only open to 831 members. Both good reads.
I tried to see the DSNY page on facebook but I don't think I was approved.

Strate Loss can you pass that to the moderator for approval, thanks.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 AM

246 posts, read 593,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
I tried to see the DSNY page on facebook but I don't think I was approved.

Strate Loss can you pass that to the moderator for approval, thanks.
First you need to change your facebook info to say your employer is DSNY San Worker .When John Pierre-Louis looks to approve people he tries to keep management out of the group .But also give him a day or 2 to approve you...

Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM

137 posts, read 254,972 times
With so many transferring into my garage, I've actually lost seniority in my first year on the job.
I started out at high 70s, went as low as low 70s, now I'm at low 80s.
I do have more cushion since I have 4 people under me as opposed to 2 that I started out with.

Not complaining, but I just realized your place on the seniority list can be ruined in a minute.
...Can't wait to get to the point where I'd be days all the time unless it snows or its a holiday week.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
First you need to change your facebook info to say your employer is DSNY San Worker .When John Pierre-Louis looks to approve people he tries to keep management out of the group .But also give him a day or 2 to approve you...
ohh ok I have DSNY as my employer but not SW.

It's been weeks lol guess I've been denied already.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 AM

246 posts, read 593,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
ohh ok I have DSNY as my employer but not SW.

It's been weeks lol guess I've been denied already.
In box me your name and I'll pass it along to them also see if you can join again....

Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM

53 posts, read 83,240 times
It is really, really, really, really hard to make an informed decision to vote with only a month or two on the job. You're still the equivalent of a baby trying to eat food without eating their own fingers. Nothing wrong with that, we all start that way. Definitely don't vote for Harry just cause he was there when you got there...would you vote for Obama again simply because he was there when you got hired? Getting new hires looks great on paper so Harry pushed for those but there are other things to consider.

But you must consider this as well-it's your job, it's your future. This time next year I'll be telling the union to make my pension checks payable to me via a waterfront condo in The Bahamas. But you'll be out plowing snow. So you want to get educated real fast and have a say in what will impact you for the next 22 years. An informed decision. Because those of us like myself may be way more informed, but it is only going to impact us for less time than you. So do your homework for the sake of yourself and your family whether it's Harry, Philly, Fred Flinstone, or whoever.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM

91 posts, read 158,814 times
Do we need boots the first day at FBF?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
In box me your name and I'll pass it along to them also see if you can join again....
I replied thanks buddy

Old 09-23-2012, 01:51 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,024 times
Was reading the posts about the Union election and can tell you all this. STOP POSTING PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PUBLIC FORUM. You do not know who is reading this or what conclusions people who are not in sanitation will make from what you are posting. It is none of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City