Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 PM

122 posts, read 479,436 times

Advertisements

and you felt somewhat in danger. How did you handle things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Turn around?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM

122 posts, read 479,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Turn around?
Aha---good point!

Okay, I guess what I meant to write is let's say you find yourself in a bad neighborhood and you've lost your bearings because you're in totally unfamiliar territory. How did you handle things?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:47 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Aha---good point!

Okay, I guess what I meant to write is let's say you find yourself in a bad neighborhood and you've lost your bearings because you're in totally unfamiliar territory. How did you handle things?
Walk towards the nearest store/establishment and ask for directions to the nearest subway station

Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
It was January 1978. I had minimal knowledge of the subways. I was with a friend in the E 50's and we wanted to go to Chinatown. We got in a subway station at Lex and 53rd street and took it downtown. I didn't recognize the stops like Rockefeller Center. I thought this was 6 en route to Brooklyn bridge but it wasn't. We got off the train at 2nd Avenue, a stop I didn't recognize. We noticed a lot of drunks around. We asked one how to get to Chinatown. he didn't really know but asked us for some money to get a beer. We gave him $2. We eventually found Chinatown about 15 minutes later. We learned this was not the 6 but the F train that dropped su at 2nd Ave and Houston St. We mistakenly thought we got on the 6 at 51st and lex

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
i worked in the bad part of the city for 13 years. so i definitely got turned around.
but i am better now.
i retired
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 PM

190 posts, read 982,435 times
Went to a McDonald's on Church Avenue in East Flatbush, Brooklyn, while working on something in the neighborhood and standing on line waiting to buy a Big Mac. A bunch of officers came into the restaurant, there was a lot of commotion, guns were drawn, and this Rastafarian behind me -- hands way up in the air -- got tackled by one of the NYPD officers. I've never had a gun pointed in my general direction, but lemme tell you, it sucks.

I vowed never to return to East Flatbush, and I haven't yet in the last 5 years. That place is a dump and one of the worst parts of all Brooklyn.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:37 AM

30 posts, read 160,608 times
Me and my girlfriend at the time were on a two week holiday of new york. We decided to do a trip to the bronx and see the bronx zoo duing the day and go to a yankee game in the evining. We came out of the zoo and went too mc donalds and there were beggers contantly coming over to us while we wer eating. Very scary for two people who were never in the bronx before.

Then we thought we would be able to pull a yellow cab to bring us to yankee stadium. little did we know not many yellow cabs around in the bronx so we were walking around for ages. two tourists sticking out like a sore thumb. We eventually got directions for what bus and subway to get. When we got on the bus we were the only white people on the bus and everyone was just staring at us.

Sure we had a laugh about it later because it could have been a lot worse.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn..went up some nice sections and some
residential sections but made a turn and ended up on Atlantic Ave. which seemed to
have a rough-looking crowd on it...I assumed that maybe this is where the Bed-Sty people did their shopping..but what do I know am from Western Pennsylvania...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: