Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 89,238 times

Advertisements

I need some help PLEASE!
I have a full time regular job. I am also a part time real estate agent on weekends. I earn hardly anything as a real estate agent, but make my main income from my full time 5 day a week job, where I make 60K.
I just found out from good sources that i will be laid off at the end of this year. I desperately need my ui benefits.
Will the dept of labor give me a hard time if I at the time I am laid off from the full time job i am a part time real estate agent? I have called them and asked and every person I spoke to gives me a different story. One says yes because you have to be completely unemployed and another said no I can collect as long as its part time and I was employed full time and laid off.
I need to prepare for this lay off so I hope there is someone who can advise me. I know I can just cancel my license right now to avoid any issues, but I do on occasion make a little money with real estate and I don't want to give that up especially facing unemployment..
Unless: would it be better possibly to give up my real estate job now and then file when I'm laid off in December and then after my claim is approved get relicensed, or would it not matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 AM

Bump

Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

anyone??????

Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Yes. Partial. They will look at the rate of your ex full time job and compare it to your part time job. A check will be issued on the difference.

The same holds for people who stay in the same company and get moved to a lower position due to no fault of their own (economy not performance). Partial payments are paid out depending on the difference.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
No. You have a full-time job, so you won't be eligible. If it was your only job, you would probably be eligible for partial benefits.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
No. You have a full-time job, so you won't be eligible. If it was your only job, you would probably be eligible for partial benefits.
No i think you misunderstood me. I sell real estate on weekends and work Mon through Fri full time. Full time I make 60K and selling real estate part time I made 2k this year. so if i get fired from my full time job will the div of unemployment tell me that I need to be completely unemployed to collect? If this is the case, then I can simply resign my rel estate now before I get laid off from the full time position

Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM

If you lose your FT job, then they will ask you for your YTD stub from your PT job. And pay unemployment on the difference since the PT job is not steady funds but rather commission funds.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If you lose your FT job, then they will ask you for your YTD stub from your PT job. And pay unemployment on the difference since the PT job is not steady funds but rather commission funds.
problem is, selling real estate is a 1099 and not a w2 pay stub, so they may look at it like im self employed

Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Thn dump the RE job.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Oh, ok. If you lose your full-time job, and keep your part-time, you should received partial benefits, provided your part-time income is below the state UI max. Just apply and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: