Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times

Advertisements

some people are too close-minded to meet in any random type of setting, unless their lives depend on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Things change if you are an attractive woman of course. Then you will get a lot of male attention and men approaching you...

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
some people are too close-minded to meet in any random type of setting, unless their lives depend on it.
I agree, many ppl are so inhibited that they can only make contact with the opposite sex after smoking rock and a bottle of Hennessey or snorting Coke and a bottle of Champange (depending on the income strada) But that's not me I can easily take a walk in Central Park and admire the fall foliage in the noon in the company of a female I never met before.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM

31 posts, read 124,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
well you'll have no problem meeting men but it sounds like you're not just looking for some folks to hit on you, and would like some more in depth conversation that is not gender specific. yes?

i suggest checking out the forums on couchsurfing.com. even if you're not actually couch surfing, there are plenty of get togethers planned there and you can easily meet both other travelers and native new yorkers this way

good luck
Uhm, not really to hit on me.. more like make new friends (that are locals don't care if men or women). I have tried couchsurfing, and mostly people that get together are from outside the US. I haven't met any native New Yorkers though.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratu View Post
Uhm, not really to hit on me.. more like make new friends (that are locals don't care if men or women). I have tried couchsurfing, and mostly people that get together are from outside the US. I haven't met any native New Yorkers though.
strange. i'm native and have definitely seen others at those get togethers. it usually lists the people who have rsvp'ed, maybe try to look for ones that isn't all visitors

you could also try a language chat meetup. a lot of neighborhoods have lunch chats for people trying to learn a new language (often everyone is already intermediate in the language). not too many people are trying to learn estonian, but if you also happen to know french or german, there will probably be some for those languages, and if you are fluent you could help some new yorkers learn while also meeting some natives

meetup.com or craiglist.org could help you look for things like that

Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
[quote=whitlock;26440414]I agree, many ppl are so inhibited that they can only make contact with the opposite sex after smoking rock and a bottle of Hennessey or snorting Coke and a bottle of Champange (depending on the income strada) But that's not me I can easily take a walk in Central Park and admire the fall foliage in the noon in the company of a female I never met before.[/quote]

In Central Park's Ramble area?

But this is NYC, a lot of times keeping you guards up is a necessity, not an option if you want to be
safe and not getting scammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: