Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM

175 posts, read 353,148 times

Advertisements

This may be a stupid question, but as living in the city becomes more and more expensive, I find myself wondering how do run of the mill artists make enough money to live here? I'm talking about the one's who wait tables sometimes, and go out drinking with friends 3-4 nights a week and have time to hang out in the park on a Wednesday afternoon.

If an artist is unknown and generally pretty average, how would they go about earning, I don't know, $60,000 annually. How many paintings would one need to sell? Does this happen outright or is it a slow process of showing work in multiple galleries and receiving a cut from the galleries?

I'm curious because several of artists I know in Bushwick get support from their parents. I can't figure out how much of their income is from art without being rude and calling them out on the fact that they are 25 and their parents are still paying the bills. I'm wondering how it would be possible otherwise to pay rent, student loans, have an iphone, and go out all the time, without a full time job.

I'm not judging because if I could figure out a way to drink all night, draw, read blogs and smoke pot all day and still be able to afford living here, I wouldn't work 8-5 as a corporate slave in midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
Multiple roommates, part-time work, small gallery spaces, shared cost gallery space. Sell some consumer level material... sell drugs, maybe get small commissions.

I am sure it is different for everyone, so there is no definite answer. Unless you know/convince the high-end galleries and critics your stuff is brilliant, you will not be cruising around in a Bimmer, unless mom and dad bought it.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM

145 posts, read 284,775 times

Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
When you share a large apt or loft with like 7 other people, its not hard to make rent.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Funny, the OP claims to be an "8 to 5" wage slave here in NYC.

Strange since "8 to 5" are the standard hours OUTSIDE of NYC, in Transplantland, where workers are NOT paid for their hour of lunch. So, a full day including lunch is 9 hours.

In NYC, and its environs, the standard work day is 8 hours, 9 to 5, and lunch is a PAID hour, included in the work day!!

NYC is odd in this practice, and most outside of the NYC tri state area are unaware of the practice of a paid lunch hour and/or a 35 hour work week.

Conclusively, the OP gives himself away as a bit of a non NYC troll! A troll who does not, obviously, work in NYC!!!

If he did, he would know that the standard work day is 9 to 5!

Is it just me, or is the OP trolling? Though, with a fairly legit whine. Its just that the OP is falsely portraying himself. Imo.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Strange since "8 to 5" are the standard hours OUTSIDE of NYC, in Transplantland, where workers are NOT paid for their hour of lunch. So, a full day including lunch is 9 hours.

In NYC, and its environs, the standard work day is 8 hours, 9 to 5, and lunch is a PAID hour, included in the work day!!

NYC is odd in this practice, and most outside of the NYC tri state area are unaware of the practice of a paid lunch hour and/or a 35 hour work week.

Conclusively, the OP gives himself away as a bit of a non NYC troll! A troll who does not, obviously, work in NYC!!!

Is it just me, or is the OP trolling? Though, with a fairly legit whine. Its just that the OP is falsely portraying himself. Imo.
Your confusing corporate with clerical. Corporate are usually salaried. Many of those can only dream of 9 to 5. Troll

Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Crazy uncle having an outburst at thanksgiving dinner just passed by, uh?
The OP is obviously trolling because EVERYBODY in NYC works 9-5

But to answer the question of this thread;

I know some aspiring artists. One of them works odd jobs whenever they become available. He helps setting up galleries, revomes them, does security work during exhibitions, etc.

Another one is a musician. He plays at small venues, and sometimes restaurants. His pay is low (say $50 for a 2hr session) but gets free food and drinks. He also teaches basic guitar to groups and individuals. Sometimes he's also invited to play with other bands, so that's extra income.

Out of the two, the painter seem to struggle more than the musician.
At one point the guy was so desperate for work, he even did some construction. He's doing much better now that he created at small network of contacts.

But like others have said, since rent is probably the biggest expense in this city, they save a lot by getting roomates and renting in a cheap neighborhood.

Last edited by likeminas; 10-11-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Ha, trolls in transplantland indeed! Sounds awesome. I personally prefer gnomes myself though. So if I'm gnoming, I'm gnoming.

Like I said, I'm just curious as to how artists make a living in such an expensive city. To me, it seems like an awfully stressful and unstable life that doesn't seem nearly as cool as some of my friends make it seem. Not sure what this has to do with 8-5 vs 9-5, but if it makes you feel better, you got me. I should have said 9-5. What was I thinking

Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
"How do artists make money" lol.

They don't.

They survive on day jobs, gigs, money from home, husbands or wives with decent jobs, trust funds, investments, etc.

Some of the more legit support themselves by teaching in their field, or being critics, or from various grants and stipends.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
Maybe they buy each other's works? So, the same amount money just keeps circulating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City