Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Don't have so many kids if you can't afford them. If people choose to do so knowing the
consequence, don't cry and complaint they are being left out by the government.
This. It's ridiculous. Don't have 6 kids if you can't afford them. Why is it the government's responsibilty to house you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
It is not that expensive in the first years. It gets expensive if you want childcare, private schools etc.
For these people it is probably quite cheap to have kids. But then they suddenly find themselves out of space.
I wasn't aware that it's "cheap" to have kids as long as you send them to public school and don't hire a nanny.

I don't have kids but I would think that all that food, medicine, clothing, shoes, doctors' appointments, dentist appointments, toys, school supplies, bedding, furniture, laundry, books, transportation, etc. would add up.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
I wish people would realize that just cause you are able to keep producing children does not mean you should. If you have 6 kids and only make $20,000 a year what kind of life are you providing them. From day ONE they have a disadvantage at life. Its cruel and unfair to the children to have to live in poverty like conditions because you like having kids and want to keep having more. Its not the government's responsibility to take care care of you and your family for your selfishness and I want to do, what I want to do, cause I can mentality.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
A Hasidic family in Brooklyn - Chana Leibowitz said she had no choice but to continue living in the 880-square-foot, two-bedroom Williamsburg apartment where she married her husband, Michael, two decades ago. Now they share it with their six children. “We’re trapped,” Ms. Leibowitz, said. “We’re hoping every day for a miracle.”

The "MIRACLE" occurred long ago. It was the invention of TROJANS.

Quote:
“It’s too hard,” Mrs. Tounkara said. “I don’t know what we’re going to do.”
Sure she knows what they are going to do: have MORE kids.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
About the only thing the city can do that might have an impact on situations like these is exactly what the article is complaining about: focus on smaller living spaces when building affordable housing. The City has no business encouraging these situations.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I wasn't aware that it's "cheap" to have kids as long as you send them to public school and don't hire a nanny.

I don't have kids but I would think that all that food, medicine, clothing, shoes, doctors' appointments, dentist appointments, toys, school supplies, bedding, furniture, laundry, books, transportation, etc. would add up.
Even besides that, if you;ve got 6 kids how much time do you have to give to each kid for homework, teaching to read, ride a bike, meeting their emotional needs etc etc. There is just not enough time in the day.

Back 100 years ago when half your kids died before the age of 11, a "bigger family" had a different meaning.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Don't have so many kids if you can't afford them. If people choose to do so knowing the
consequence, don't cry and complaint they are being left out by the government.
This was my immediate thought.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Well to be fair this was the norma 50+ years ago(the baby boomer generation was called that for a reason), and prior generations as well...and these large families lived and managed in NYC, for better or worse. What has changed though is that it is now socially unacceptable to have so many kids, particularly in NYC, and it is near impossible to do it on a modest income.

So many of the "natives" have evolved with the times, but others from different cultures, like Mexicans, Hasidics, Africans, are still circa 1950s mentality with ingrained cultural norms/religious doctrines which place a high social value on lots of children. As the prior generations of "ethnic whites" decreased their birthrates as they become Americanized, so too (in general) will these groups.

It's really not that serious or different. What is different is that society has changed to demand government to provide them housing....whether we believe this should be the role of government in NYC is hotly contested. I believe everyone should have a right to housing since our society as a whole benefits immensely if people and families/kids/elderly are not living in the streets begging/criminals/diseased. And government has a role to play in that, but that does not mean it is in the location of your choosing! You need housing, government can help you find it outside of NYC...I want to live in the East Village but can't afford it..that's life.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM

215 posts, read 519,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

All of this except medicine is not that expensive. If you have health/dental insurance most checkups and vaccinations are free for kids.
Now consider that childcare can be $1000-2000 a month and private school around $3000 a month. You will hardly spend $1000 a month on everything you listed in your post combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: