Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
It's the same for people who smoke. I can't stand all those anti-smoking commercials. If people want to smoke, that's their prerogative.

Perhaps health insurance companies should put them in a different category, and give the healthier folks a break on premiums.
That's good, but what you're forgetting is that laws like this are going into left-leaning places like Boston (they went even further in Cambridge, of course...), New York, and now Washington, in preparation for Obamacare, so that the states can cut their costs as much as possible to make it look like the President's signature piece of legislation is some resounding success, when in reality, it will probably turn out to be a complete miserable failure just everything else the government tries to jam its nose into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
i barely drink soda but this ban is just anti-american.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I am ok with high taxes on cigarettes, and ok with the same for "unhealthy foods." The problem with the tax on unhealthy foods is that it quickly devolves and gets derailed into a nonsensical argument about "what is healthy food and what isn't" conversation and nothing gets accomplished or implemented that is effective. For example, the push by government for "healthy" school lunches caused a raucous with (guess who) major food companies who pushed, and WON, pizza to be counted as a vegetable because of the sliver of tomato-like sauce on the pizza.

See the problem? So in theory taxes on "unhealthy" foods is easy and makes sense, in practice it is ineffective and does not solve the problem, like the "pizza is a vegetable" ruling.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
That's good, but what you're forgetting is that laws like this are going into left-leaning places like Boston (they went even further in Cambridge, of course...), New York, and now Washington, in preparation for Obamacare, so that the states can cut their costs as much as possible to make it look like the President's signature piece of legislation is some resounding success, when in reality, it will probably turn out to be a complete miserable failure just everything else the government tries to jam its nose into.
Actually, Northeastern states are more healthy than Southern (RED) states.

The rate of obesity is much higher in red states, and if anything, they should be the ones passing these laws.
As for Obamacare. I'm equally disappointed with it.
I was hoping for universal healthcare, or at the very least a public option. But all we got, was a watered-down pieace of legislation that won't even go into effect (fully) untill 2014.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
We may as well declare ourselves children for life and government our mommy. There was a time people fought -even their own governments- for their freedoms. Now we have people made so inconfident over time by incremental encroachments by overbearing government who take it as a favor that they'll be told what they may eat.

We are no longer worthy of the sacrifices of our patrimony.

Our Founders would disown us.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Actually, Northeastern states are more healthy than Southern (RED) states.

The rate of obesity is much higher in red states, and if anything, they should be the ones passing these laws.
As for Obamacare. I'm equally disappointed with it.
I was hoping for universal healthcare, or at the very least a public option. But all we got, was a watered-down pieace of legislation that won't even go into effect (fully) untill 2014.
I think you kind of missed the point of what I was saying. I didn't say that NY, MA, and DC have these laws because they necessarily need them because obesity is so bad. I said that they passed them to shave money off of their overall public health needs in the future so that it makes their political allies look good when/if Obamacare or the like goes into effect.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Our founders would have disowned us a long time ago when we gave equal rights to women and banned slavery. So who really cares what they think...there was little noble about them.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,958,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i barely drink soda but this ban is just anti-american.
Same. The only time I drink soda is when I'm mixing it with a drink (Long Island, Blue Motorcycle, etc).
Honestly putting a size restriction on sh1t like 40oz Malt Liquor would have a bigger impact.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I think you kind of missed the point of what I was saying. I didn't say that NY, MA, and DC have these laws because they necessarily need them because obesity is so bad. I said that they passed them to shave money off of their overall public health needs in the future so that it makes their political allies look good when/if Obamacare or the like goes into effect.
What states have passed these laws? As far as I know -only NYC has such a law- let alone the entire state.
And even if the whole northeast was to pass these laws, how are they gonna make Obamacare look good? You haven't explained that.

I don't even know how you make such a connection. I think you've been listening too much to that far right-wing crap, that racist lunatic, Michael Savage.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Our founders would have disowned us a long time ago when we gave equal rights to women and banned slavery. So who really cares what they think...there was little noble about them.
There were a lot of abolitionists among the founding fathers. Read Article 1 Section 9 of the Constitution. They weren't able to get it banned entirely, but they were able to get a clause in there banning the importation of more slaves after 1808, and on January 1st, 1808 a law was passed that prohibited the slave trade entirely.

As for women...I have no idea. They didn't really say much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City