Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,958,154 times

Advertisements

The whole women thing comes from religion more so than anything, nothing to do with the founding of this country even though it indirectly does because this is a Christian founded country. It more so has to do with culture and they fact that even to this day, men rule the world and men rule just abut every country in this world. Even God himself is male. Nevertheless that's a whole different topic for a different forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
What states have passed these laws? As far as I know -only NYC has such a law- let alone the entire state.
And even if the whole northeast was to pass these laws, how are they gonna make Obamacare look good? You haven't explained that.

I don't even know how you make such a connection.
It's all financial and political. If they can cut down on the amount of people that are in need of the kinds of medical services that you need when you're obese and drinking 50 ounce sodas every day, then it will make that program look more successful. They've invested so much of their political capital in its success that they're willing to do things this brazen in order to make their party look good.

And yes, you're right, it's not on the state level, it's on the city level, but it's spreading.

And I think you've misread everything I am saying...I'm not even against it. In fact, if we're going to have Obamacare, I'm all for it. Have to cut costs wherever possible if the public is picking up the bill.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
It's all financial and political. If they can cut down on the amount of people that are in need of the kinds of medical services that you need when you're obese and drinking 50 ounce sodas every day, then it will make that program look more successful. They've invested so much of their political capital in its success that they're willing to do things this brazen in order to make their party look good.

And yes, you're right, it's not on the state level, it's on the city level, but it's spreading.

And I think you've misread everything I am saying...I'm not even against it. In fact, if we're going to have Obamacare, I'm all for it. Have to cut costs wherever possible if the public is picking up the bill.
So a city of 8 million that passes a ban on soda SIZES will affect the health outcome/finances of a coutry of 310 million ?
you say it's spreading? What other city has actually PASSED such a ban? I'm unaware, please inform us.

Btw, which part of -you can still buy a million cans of soda and still drink yourself into obesity- did you miss?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
I say we ban Bloomberg style control freaks from holding office.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
We can ban them...it's called voting.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So a city of 8 million that passes a ban on soda SIZES will affect the health outcome/finances of a coutry of 310 million ?
you say it's spreading? What other city has actually PASSED such a ban? I'm unaware, please inform us.

Btw, which part of -you can still buy a million cans of soda and still drink yourself into obesity- did you miss?
Nobody has PASSED it, but that doesn't mean people don't support it and the debate isn't being had.

The point of the idea is to limit the amount of temptation that people face in stores. If you can get a 20 ounce soda for x price, but a 40 ounce soda for 25 cents more, then you're probably going to get the 40 ounce soda.

If you have 8 million people (plus the population of Boston, plus DC, so about 9.5 million total let's say, let alone those who commute to work in those cities who buy sodas there, or tourists who buy sodas there), and you can manage to cut the soda intake in half for at least 10% of them, that's still a significant reduction, and it's assuming that 90% of them will buy multiple sodas, so I'm granting you quite a large bit of leeway there.

And it's not about affecting the health of the other 310 million people. It's about those places doing their part to make the socialized healthcare system as cheap as possible to make their political allies look good.

How is it that in my first post on this subject you agreed with me? You took one thing out of context and I explained what I meant and you've been wanting a pissing match...slow day?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,958,154 times
Imagine if Bloomberg ran and become president of this country.....

Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Nobody has PASSED it, but that doesn't mean people don't support it and the debate isn't being had.

The point of the idea is to limit the amount of temptation that people face in stores. If you can get a 20 ounce soda for x price, but a 40 ounce soda for 25 cents more, then you're probably going to get the 40 ounce soda.

If you have 8 million people (plus the population of Boston, plus DC, so about 9.5 million total let's say, let alone those who commute to work in those cities who buy sodas there, or tourists who buy sodas there), and you can manage to cut the soda intake in half for at least 10% of them, that's still a significant reduction, and it's assuming that 90% of them will buy multiple sodas, so I'm granting you quite a large bit of leeway there.

And it's not about affecting the health of the other 310 million people. It's about those places doing their part to make the socialized healthcare system as cheap as possible to make their political allies look good.

How is it that in my first post on this subject you agreed with me? You took one thing out of context and I explained what I meant and you've been wanting a pissing match...slow day?
First off, Bloomberg is not a democrat, or a fan of Obama. And as far I know he hasn't endorsed any candidate. So there's no incentive for Bloomberg to make Obama look good.
The other cities you mention haven't even passed any of these regulations. So that's a moot point.
And even if that was the case, these cities constitute less than 10% of national population. And again, by national standards Northeastern cities are healthier than Southern ones.
So, would this ultimately make a significant difference?

Socialized medicine?!
Obamacare is a far cry from socialized medicine, pal.
Socialized medicine is when the government provides healthcare for ALL its citizens, as in an universal healthcare system, which is standard in the developed world.

Socialized medicine is not something that's contingent on your employment status.

Stop listening to that nutjob Michael Savage, it's affecting your critical thinking skills.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
I don't see this happening in DC. The local politicians are too easily bribed.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM

18,477 posts, read 31,653,017 times
in reality, there really is not a ban. they are just not making that size anymore.

everyone thought when they couldn't smoke in bars and clubs the social world was going to come to a halt, well it didnt. people still went to bars and clubs, but just didn't smoke in them anymore.

same is going to happen with the soda ban, people will just get another size, nothing more, nothing less. I also believe that they weill get the largest one, and just make that make due, and then adventually the larger ones will be long gone forgotten about, and life will still go on.
it is like a conditioning effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City