Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,432 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single female who currently lives in Manhattan but am considering moving to one of the rental buildings in the Long Island City Waterfront area (also called Hunter's Point?). I work late hours and stay out late some weekends so my primary concern is how safe is it to live in the area? Specifically, how safe is it to take the 7 out to the LIC waterfront area and how safe is it to walk from the subway to the buildings on Center Blvd? I have looked at the google street views and from what I can see, there aren't too many people in the area (at least during whatever time the google car got those street-view shots). I've always been one of those people who feels safe when there are a lot of people around so that concerns me. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on the safety in the area

The other thing I wanted to get people's thoughts on was how "neighborhoody" the LIC waterfront area is? I am looking for a place with a sense of community (which is partly why I'm leaving Midtown where I currently live). Do people know their neighbors? Do you see the same faces around? I'd love to make friends in the area.

And last question: any good cafes in the area to do work? I end up working a lot of weekends and like to work in a coffee shop if possible!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I have a few friends who live there and love it. One has actually been trying to get us to go for brunch out there. However, I did take the 7 to Hunters Point a few weeks ago and saw NO ONE. Cars were actually honking at us.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
It is very safe. The precinct is right there. There are more cafes than you'll ever need. It is mostly young professionals, many with young children. A decade or so ago, barely no one lived there. It has probably seen some of the fastest population growth in the city over the past 10 years. Still a work in progress, but for now, at least you are at Grand Central in one short stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City