Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 22,935 times

Advertisements

....Please don't kill me for making one of these threads.

Making $60,000/yr, early twenties (female), where can I afford to live that's reasonably safe? Would be working in Manhattan in the Financial District. Looking into areas of Brooklyn and Queens, but there are so many neighborhoods that it's a little hard to get a grasp on them all. I'm also not sure if the reality of getting approved is that income = rent*40 or rent*60 as I've seen several different numbers. Can I afford $1400 a month?

I don't mind how small of a place I live in, but after living in a pretty crappy quality apartment throughout college, I'm looking to upgrade to something a little bit nicer and possibly long-term. I'm going to rate quality as more important than necessarily being in the hippest neighborhood. However, I also don't want it to be a trek to get groceries or a bite to eat, and I'd like to keep my commute to work under 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 PM

197 posts, read 517,737 times
Astoria (probably better bang for your buck too for the people that will chime in and say brooklyn)

Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
$60K will be decent pay for a $1,200 -1,600 rental of an out-a-ways, second floor apartment of a house in Nassau County. Then you'll buy your LIRR ticket. And ride the train to Penn Station & get on the subway to Wall Street. So many do it that I just thought of it as normal when I was in it.
Believe me, some parts of Queens & Brooklyn will yield the same amount of commuting time but less quality of life.
You can be safe & live reasonably as a commuter. Does proximity to Manhattan matter to you?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Astoria, Queens, or Ditmas Park or Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. But please check commute times on the mta trip planner. I think they are all within 45 minutes but not 100% sure.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
I was born in Bay Ridge & have a 82 year-old Godmother who still lives there in her mother's home -- so, I love Bay Ridge. But I'd rather travel on the LIRR from "Somewhere" Nassau County than the R or N train daily. The LIRR is just so much more civilized.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
$60K will be decent pay for a $1,200 -1,600 rental of an out-a-ways, second floor apartment of a house in Nassau County. Then you'll buy your LIRR ticket. And ride the train to Penn Station & get on the subway to Wall Street. So many do it that I just thought of it as normal when I was in it.
Believe me, some parts of Queens & Brooklyn will yield the same amount of commuting time but less quality of life.
You can be safe & live reasonably as a commuter. Does proximity to Manhattan matter to you?
Honestly, I'd much rather be in the city. I definitely don't want a car and enjoy being able to walk to get lunch rather than drive. Additionally, I'm 22, single, and moving somewhere where I don't really know anybody - the suburbs are just not what I'm looking for.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,533 times
Maybe Prospect Heights in Brooklyn? Near the museum or the library. You could get to the financial district in less than 20 mins from there with the 2 or 3 train.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM

Also thank you for your advice guys, I'm looking into these areas.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM

197 posts, read 517,737 times
Checkout WhyLeaveAstoria.com or Astorians.com for info as well. I love it here because it's about a 10min subway ride to 59th street, not much time spent commuting really.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll55 View Post
....Please don't kill me for making one of these threads.

Making $60,000/yr, early twenties (female), where can I afford to live that's reasonably safe? Would be working in Manhattan in the Financial District. Looking into areas of Brooklyn and Queens, but there are so many neighborhoods that it's a little hard to get a grasp on them all. I'm also not sure if the reality of getting approved is that income = rent*40 or rent*60 as I've seen several different numbers. Can I afford $1400 a month?.......................
No,$1,400 is way too much to spend on rent with an income of $60,000.You can probably do it but it will put a squeeze on everything else in your life and you probably won't be able to save much of anything.

Don't go by the 40x rule.It's the landlords standard and represents the highest amount they think they can get out of you without putting themselves at risk of problems from you getting completely over your head.They don't care whether you have an enjoyable life or whether you save anything as long as they get as much as they can.

For some strange reason a lot of people seem to regard the 40x rule as onerous and view it as a minimum because it puts restrictions on where people think they should be entitled to live.Don't fall into they mindset.

1,100/mo is a much more prudent amount to spend on rent with an income of 60,000.

60,000 in NYC = a shared apartment in almost any area or a modest studio apartment in a non trendy "outer borough" neighborhood.Much below 60 and you don't even have the studio option.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-01-2012 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City