Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM

387 posts, read 680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
We have a combined income of less than $100K/year and live in Brooklyn. Do I think there is enough to get by? Yes. But we are not big spenders, do not eat out constantly (that adds up fast) and do not have a car payment---we paid for our car on the spot. In fact, we managed to save enough to put down 30% on a co-op (could have put down more but we want to do renovations and not use up all our savings.) Utilities can be managed quite a bit depending on the size of your home, how much you waste, etc. Aside from that, it doesn't sound like the OP is buying anything so his utilities will be more like $100/month, if that, depending on the month.

The things I could do if we earned a combined income of $160K. I would probably save another 50K per year.

OP you will be fine. I would not suggest Dyker Heights, as public transportation sucks there and there isn't much to do. Though if you like lots of marble and guidos trying to out-build one another then maybe...
I'm good when it comes to turning lights off. My chick TERRIBLE. I'll go up stairs & every light will be one & she is no where to be found. I turn them off, 5 minutes later she turns them back on! Whe I was single & was making close to $90k a year I saved more, & spent less. The weekly money I would save is going towards the baby now. Twisting & turning between day care, food, clothes & supplys the Baby is costing an estimated $400 a week. That's 13.2% of our gross weekly income. It's like another tax.

I try to charge everything on my AMEX card so it's paid for month to month & I can keep an almost to the penny accounting of where our money is going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. The OP is a single person and won't be living in a house and shouldn't have to keep a car if he sticks to areas near subways (which are more popular with young people anyway).

So right there, he doesn't have your $1000/month childcare payment, and wouldn't have a $750 Coned/National Grid/Water bill payment because he will be living in an apartment, most likely with heat included and his bill would be around $100/month, not $750. I can't even begin to say how much he would save (compared to you) by not having a car because it sounds like you have two cars and they are not paid off, which is probably extremely expensive.

And btw, if "there isn't much left" each month for your household, consider changing your pattern of going out to eat a lot for $150 a pop. That might solve your problem
I'm not complaining. I save when I can, where I can. I worry more about retirement planning down the line that the present.

I have a couple of friends who save every penny & they are miserable cheap bastards. No lifes, no happiness & all the do is worry. I worry but I wanna have a life too. I work hard & want to enjoy my money & life style. If I drop dead right after I post this message what good will saving every penny do me? I can't take it with me.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Our schedules are just terrible. I'm out of the house as early as 1:30 am a couple of days a week & get home anywhere from 2:30-6pm

My chick goes in a little later, usually at work by 10:30 & doesn't get home until 10pm.

Between taking care of the house & the baby, the pets there isn't anytime or desire to cook. Easier to order out or just pack the kid up & go out to dinner.
Wow! With those hours, your baby isn't being raised by you. It's just coming home to sleep in your house.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! With those hours, your baby isn't being raised by you. It's just coming home to sleep in your house.
Yep, life in the big city. Price you pay for sucess I guess.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yep, life in the big city. Price you pay for sucess I guess.
That's too big of a price. I'd be moving to a lower cost of living area if I were you.

I don't even see the purpose in having a child if the child isn't being raised by you.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
That's too big of a price. I'd be moving to a lower cost of living area if I were you.

I don't even see the purpose in having a child if the child isn't being raised by you.
I'm not complaining about my cost of living. OP was.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not complaining about my cost of living. OP was.
It's really sad you didn't understand my point.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 AM

18 posts, read 39,413 times
Is this a joke? With 150K you can live just about everywhere in the city and have a decent amount of savings. How many people in NYC do you think make that much money. That dude probably parties, vacations too much and has bad spending habits. Probably has like 30 Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hil shirts, and always buys the new iPhone.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
It's really sad you didn't understand my point.
Did you ever consider that he did understand your point and is choosing to do the polite thing, which is ignore you? I was actually impressed with how he kept his cool in answering you. How dare you come on here and criticize how someone is raising their child? I suggest you go back to the parenting forum, or wherever it is you came from. This is not the place.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did you ever consider that he did understand your point and is choosing to do the polite thing, which is ignore you? I was actually impressed with how he kept his cool in answering you. How dare you come on here and criticize how someone is raising their child? I suggest you go back to the parenting forum, or wherever it is you came from. This is not the place.
You should save up some money and just buy this forum because half of your posts are telling people that they shouldn't be on it.

Or maybe you should go to a different forum that makes you happier because you always seem to be having a problem with somebody here. I don't know, maybe you just have a confrontational personality, but I don't think I've ever seen you post something positive to/about somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City