Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,036,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I take the approach that it is no business of a landlord WHAT my finances are in fact. If he insists on getting numbers, then numbers he gets...whether they have any meaning or not is not relevant to me in the least.
Agree 1000000000000000000%%%!!! It is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

Quote:
As to harming oneself, one person can get by paying 50% of his income in rent where another person is constantly behind the eight-ball when paying 20% of his income for housing. What an imperious landlord THINKS should be a tenants financial structure is just silly poppycock engendered by a sellers' market in NYC, read Manhattan.
Exactly. It's ridiculous and always has been. What I find more appalling is the requirement of a guarantor to be making either 80 or 120 times to rent and they also having to show THEIR FINANCIALS just to rent a tiny $5,000 a month studio on 5th street and Avenue D.

Quote:
But basically, how I run my finances is MY business (and my partner's and perhaps the IRS) and nobody else's...least of all the doof I am renting from.
I wish I could rep you, but I have to spread it around, so I'll do it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,951 times
Marilyn are you currently or have you ever been a LL in NYC? If not, that is probably why you don't understand why a LL requires paystubs, bank statements, W-2s, tax returns etc...because of people like Kefir who simply lie and defraud. Just because I am not a bank does not mean you are not defrauding me with bogus pay stubs.

Here are some scenarios:

1. Tenant A: Someone can be making $300K per year, and have the paystubs to verify income. Great! Sounds like a great tenant and easily able to pay $2,500 for a 1 bedroom. Except, when you pull the credit report his score is 450 because he doesn't pay his bills = BAD TENANT

2. Tenant B: Also making $300K per year, however when you look at the bank statement you see there is $40 in there for the past 2 months. WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING? If this person gets laid off tomorrow, it takes 6+ months to evict and he has $40 in his bank account = BAD TENANT.

And the main issue with the idea that you are "just renting the place" is that in NYC U ARE NOT JUST RENTING A PLACE. You are theoretically a lifetime commitment + future generations in some cases. The tenant protections are like no other place in the country, which is why the requirements are like no other place in the country. When you understand that fact, and then realize in a BEST case scenario it takes 6+ months to evict a tenant, and worse case several years, you will then understand why LLs require all those things that seem so crazy for any other city.

As soon as renting in this city has the same tenant rights, or lackthereof, as every other city, only then will you see the requirements be like every other city. Until then, expect requirements to get more stringent, not less so, as competition for apts is increasing, not decreasing, and rents continue to escalate.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,262 times
Please share your magic, Mr. Brownstone.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
If you can struggle and manage the rent it is no one's business about how much you really earn. People have to live somewhere..If they have to give some stupid land lord the impression that they are respectable because they are rich...so what...fake it..as long as you pay your rent..you are good to go- a roof over your head is the start- the rest you can figure out.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Marilyn are you currently or have you ever been in a LL in NYC? If so, that is probably why you don't understand why a LL requires, in addition to paystubs, bank statements, W-2s, tax returns etc...because of people like Kefir who simply lie and defraud. Just because I am not a bank does not mean you are not defrauding me with bogus pay stubs.

Here are some scenarios:

1. Tenant A: Someone can be making $300K per year, and have the paystubs to verify income. Great! Sounds like a great tenant and easily able to pay $2,500 for a 1 bedroom. Except, when you pull the credit report his score is 450 because he doesn't pay his bills = BAD TENANT
Agreed. No complaint from me.

Quote:
2. Tenant B: Also making $300K per year, however when you look at the bank statement you see there is $40 in there for the past 2 months. WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING?
Why do you care? His credit is good and pays his bills. What's the problem?? He might put his money where Romney puts his - in offshore accounts, IRAs and other investments.

Quote:
And the main issue with the idea that you are "just renting the place" is that in NYC U ARE NOT JUST RENTING A PLACE. You are theoretically a lifetime commitment + future generations in some cases. The tenant protections are like no other place in the country, which is why the requirements are like no other place in the country. When you understand that fact, and then realize in a BEST case scenario it takes 6+ months to evict a tenant, and worse case several years, you will then understand why LLs require all those things that seem so crazy for any other city.
It doesn't take several years anymore to get rid of people as NYC Housing Court seems to be evicting tenants just like every other city within a six month time frame. Old excuses as to why the rent wasn't paid no longer fly here, unless you truly are a SLUMLORD.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you can struggle and manage the rent it is no one's business about how much you really earn. People have to live somewhere..If they have to give some stupid land lord the impression that they are respectable because they are rich...so what...fake it..as long as you pay your rent..you are good to go- a roof over your head is the start- the rest you can figure out.
Well said and I agree, when I met my landlords (5 apartments) I always came across like a clean cut citizen but the reality is that I have my nasty habits which I can hide if needed. At the end of the day I always pay my rent on time that's the top priority and don't disturb my neighbors by running down the stairwell for a smoke and always keep the studio clean as Nicole Kidmans butt.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Well said and I agree, when I met my landlords (5 apartments) I always came across like a clean cut citizen but the reality is that I have my nasty habits which I can hide if needed. At the end of the day I always pay my rent on time that's the top priority and don't disturb my neighbors by running down the stairwell for a smoke and keep the studio clean as Nicole Kidmans butt.
I'm very disturbed that you cannot smoke in the privacy of an apartment you're paying a ridiculous amount of rent for.

I'm trying to figure out how your smoking will "hurt" the apartment? Just because you smoke doesn't mean you're not a 'clean cut' person. Is this what it's come to now? People are called "unsavory" these days, because they are smokers??

The LL still has to repaint, shampoo the rugs, etc., before re-renting, so what's the big deal?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,951 times
Marilyn it sounds like to me you are not a landlord in NYC and never have been one. You are not speaking from experience of knowledge other than "well we don't do it anywhere in the country so it shouldn't be done here."

If you believe the courts are in a rush to evict anyone, think again. By law, NYC must house every man/woman/child who seeks housing, at a rent that is affordable to them, FOR LIFE. You do realize the shelters are over run right? If the city were, as you say, evicting people within a 6 month time frame, the city would be swallowed up by the homeless..they know it..and they have no interest in taking on the responsibility..it is the LLs problem!

Here is an example of the eviction process in NYC:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/ny...=neediestcases

"In 2001, Ms. Jackson took steps to move, and her name was taken off the apartment’s lease (NYCHA). Her plans to secure a new home fell through, she said, and she stayed in the building. After Ms. Jackson’s grandmother died in late 2009, the Housing Authority determined that she did not have a right to remain in the apartment at a subsidized monthly rent of $219. She, her husband of just one year, Jamel Goodridge, and Aquiya were evicted in January, after a three-year court battle. "

This was in NYC Public Housing, her name was not even on the lease, and it still took 3 years to evict! Welcome to NYC...and unless you are a LL that requires paystubs, bank statements, W-2s, tax returns, credit reports, etc...you too will inevitably have this happen to you!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm very disturbed that you cannot smoke in the privacy of an apartment you're paying a ridiculous amount of rent for.

I'm trying to figure out how your smoking will "hurt" the apartment? Just because you smoke doesn't mean you're not a 'clean cut' person. Is this what it's come to now? People are called "unsavory" these days, because they are smokers??

The LL still has to repaint, shampoo the rugs, etc., before re-renting, so what's the big deal?
Marilyn, read my previous posts, during the 5 apts that Ive been a tenant in I always smoked secretly some 30 Marlboros lighted with a Zippo per day. Never got caught or kicked out.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,727,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

This is probably the same for smoking as it is in my story. I had a friend who bought a house after an Indian family lived there for about 10 years. The house was perfect except for one thing... the smell. The whole entire house smelled like Indian food. This might not seem like a bad thing, but if that's not something you want to smell all the time, that's not something you want to smell all the time. They then SANDED all the walls to repaint. not just repaint over... complete down to the drywall basically. shampooed the carpet that was there, had all the other floors cleaned/waxed.... and guess what was still there? The smell of Indian food. It took 3 years before the smell wasn't there anymore although that could possibly be because he got used to it. who knows.

Now I don't know how bad it could get in 1 year, or 2 years of smoking, but imagine if the landlord had to go through all that every time a smoker moved in. It wouldn't exactly be that cost effective anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City