Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM

317 posts, read 819,434 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Manhattan and getting tired of the issues with parking and storing my car, rent isn't an issue, I am willing to pay more if necessary or wouldn't mind paying less in another borough either), I currently have a 1 bedroom that I pay $2200.

I want to move somewhere that is as close to Manhattan as possible. I know of neighborhoods like Astoria, Williamsburg..etc that are close to Manhattan and that is the kind of proximity to the city I'm looking for.

What is the Rent like in these areas?

Is driving and parking on the street on a daily basis an issue in neighborhoods like this and what is the cost?

Also is there anywhere in NYC that you get a parking spot or has a parking garage with the building that you pay extra in your rent for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM

Also I need to drive a car everyday so subway access isnt a big deal.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times
All those areas close to Manhattan are going to be a PIA to park everyday. Williamsburg is not that terrible but they have that stupid alternate side parking for 2 days of the week, like Monday and Thursday or Tues and Friday. So expect to move your car a lot. It is a bit better than Manhattan but not a whole lot better. If you are not getting home too late it won't be that bad but trying to find parking in Williamsburg & Astoria after 9pm is going to be tough.
There are certain areas that are not as bad finding parking such as Greenpoint and Dumbo. I don't have too much trouble finding parking in those areas.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
All those areas close to Manhattan are going to be a PIA to park everyday. Williamsburg is not that terrible but they have that stupid alternate side parking for 2 days of the week, like Monday and Thursday or Tues and Friday. So expect to move your car a lot. It is a bit better than Manhattan but not a whole lot better. If you are not getting home too late it won't be that bad but trying to find parking in Williamsburg & Astoria after 9pm is going to be tough.
There are certain areas that are not as bad finding parking such as Greenpoint and Dumbo. I don't have too much trouble finding parking in those areas.
Thanks for the info, I know many New Yorkers do without cars but I really don't want to give it up because I'm always hauling merchandise for my small business everyday so that I can save on shipping and also be able to somewhat control what time I can get somewhere.

I'm going to heavily weigh my decision of my move based on available parking.. I've heard of DUMBO and Greenpoint, how are those neighborhoods do you have an idea of the rent price range and safety of the area?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Thanks for the info, I know many New Yorkers do without cars but I really don't want to give it up because I'm always hauling merchandise for my small business everyday so that I can save on shipping and also be able to somewhat control what time I can get somewhere.

I'm going to heavily weigh my decision of my move based on available parking.. I've heard of DUMBO and Greenpoint, how are those neighborhoods do you have an idea of the rent price range and safety of the area?
Both Dumbo and Greenpoint are great neighborhoods but are also very pricey to rent. Dumbo will be a bit more. Expect to pay NYC type rent. As far as safety they are both very safe neighborhoods. I would suggest that you check out apartments in both neighborhoods and see which one is best for you.
If you don't mind a bit longer of a commute you should consider areas such as Dyker Heights and Bay Ridge.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
If you do this type of search on craigslist

new york all apartments classifieds "garage" - craigslist (Brooklyn)

new york all apartments classifieds "garage" - craigslist (Queens)

you will see which neighborhoods might be options for buildings with garages.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you do this type of search on craigslist

new york all apartments classifieds "garage" - craigslist (Brooklyn)

new york all apartments classifieds "garage" - craigslist (Queens)

you will see which neighborhoods might be options for buildings with garages.
Thanks I will start adding that into the search field....How reliable is craigslist for renting I've heard horror stories of renters re-renting out their places to others without disclosing that they are not the owner.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM

393 posts, read 782,822 times
Now that I think about it the last time I was loking for apartments in Astoria (on Craigslist) I saw quite a few listings with garages (I can't remember how much extra they were asking for, maybe 150 or something like that). Landlords that rent out one floor of their home to tenants sometimes have extra parking spots. That's a pretty good idea. I feel like it'd be too expensive in Brooklyn though (Dumbo, Williamsburg, etc.). If you go with Queens, then you can get an apartment with a parking spot and still be below what you are paying now. I know you said that isn't a concern but if you are already considering Astoria you might as well save some money. That's always good. As far as Craigslist, that's probably the best place to look. Just use your common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Thanks I will start adding that into the search field....How reliable is craigslist for renting I've heard horror stories of renters re-renting out their places to others without disclosing that they are not the owner.
I didn't suggest renting through craigslist, although you could certainly try. I am saying you can gather information there.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
Quote:
I'm currently in Manhattan and getting tired of the issues with parking and storing my car, rent isn't an issue, I am willing to pay more if necessary or wouldn't mind paying less in another borough either), I currently have a 1 bedroom that I pay $2200.

I want to move somewhere that is as close to Manhattan as possible. I know of neighborhoods like Astoria, Williamsburg..etc that are close to Manhattan and that is the kind of proximity to the city I'm looking for.

What is the Rent like in these areas?

Is driving and parking on the street on a daily basis an issue in neighborhoods like this and what is the cost?

Also is there anywhere in NYC that you get a parking spot or has a parking garage with the building that you pay extra in your rent for?
I wouldn't go through all the trouble of moving out of Manhattan just to have some place to park. Why not just rent a monthly parking space in a garage?? There are countless parking garages in Manhattan.

Also, why do you need a car if you're currently living/working in Manhattan??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City