Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
U gotta point but it's within a 10 mile radius,
so that's an agreement to keep it the same
i bet.
It's not too uncommon at all to have the sports team be within a certain radius of the city they are represented as. The detroit lions used to be 35 miles away from detroit and the detroit pistons are still 30 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
^ word? wow. there's his best answer then.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ word? wow. there's his best answer then.
Yeah. who would go see the Auburn Hills Pistons? (probably the same amount that go see the Detroit Pistons actually. No one)

Another one is the tampa bay rays, they play in St. Petersburg.

tampa bay rays - St. Petersburg, Dallas Cowboys is in Arlington, Buffalo bills - orchard park, San Jose Earthquakes - Santa Clara, FC-Dallas, Frisco, LA Galaxy - Carson, Philadelphia Union - Chester, New York Red Bulls, Harrison, NJ, Chicago Fire- Bridgeview.

The last bunch are MLS teams, which makes more sense because a soccer stadium needs to be bigger than a football stadium, and would take up even more space. If a city is already very well developed, throwing in a new stadium won't exactly be the easiest thing to do. So build it in an undeveloped area not far away, for less than it would cost to keep it in the city, and call it a day.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Would you rather see them be the New Jersey jets and giants or are you fine with them being New York based?
When you ask if it's good that they play in New Jersey, I would say yes, because imagine if they moved stadiums into NYC? Where would they go? They would have to tear down some areas to create space which would displace residents and drive the demand further up for real estate because the supply will be lower.

Since they are just called New York Giants/Jets, they could have been located outside of New York City in the 'burbs or something and then the name would still be applicable to the location of the stadium. Also if you change the name to be New Jersey Giants/Jets, that would just revenue lost for the city. So that shouldn't ever happen.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Doesn't bother me. I consider the whole tri-state area to be the same. Its basically the same culture, whether it be North Jersey, Long Island, or the boroughs.
Couldn't agree more on that one.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM

261 posts, read 500,910 times
There's nothing wrong with it. They represent the New York metropolitan area and NJ is an integral part of that area. If they were called the "New Jersey Giants", then they wouldn't be near as famous or popular. That's not meant to rip on Jersey, but it's just the truth. There's a reason they keep the "New York" name. New York is home to most of the famous stuff in the metro area, so what's wrong with putting something cool in Jersey? I don't see why it bothers some people. MetLife Stadium is just 8 miles away from Manhattan. Conversely, Cowboys Stadium is 18 miles away from Downtown Dallas. Gillette Stadium is 28 miles away from Downtown Boston. I know they go by the "New England Patriots", but everyone views them as Boston's team for obvious reasons. NFL football teams don't represent city limits. Instead, they represent metro areas. There is nothing wrong with the Giants and Jets playing in NJ and it's fine the way it is.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
True, but they aren't even in the same state.

I'm not a fan of either team just for this reason. Lifelong NY'er and Packers fan here.
This thread has been productive, positive & generally upbeat........................ I apologize in advance for my negativity. I just can't help myself.

Someone from Staten Island being so provincial makes me chuckle on the inside. Have some self awareness my man. It might do you some good.
New Jersey at least has enough understanding to realize its defensive position. NYC attempts to diminish NJ at every turn for their own edification. NYC is a pulsating, slovenly, self indulgent masterbatorium. It loves to love itself for no other reason than the simple fact that it can (no matter its current state as the cultural toothless giant that it is. Leaving a large footprint, but not really making an impression). As mind numbing & predictable as they are; that's who NYC is. Staten Island, however, is simply not invited to the party. You don't possess the right to be involved. You don't have a seat at the table. You're not truly NYC (according to your own "comrades") & you're not New Jersey. You're the Bermuda Triangle in the Aurthur Kill.

NYC tries to pawn you off on New Jersey as often as possible; New Jersey scoffs & is mortified by such a notion. Staten Island is the mutant offspring of Brooklyn. However, Brooklyn disowns you & New Jersey gags at the shear insinuation of adopting you.
You're a University without a conference. A boy without a home.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Huh?

What did I say other than the truth? Is the Meadowlands Compex not in NJ? Anything more you assumed from my post is way off base. I'd respect the Giants and Jets more if they embraced the fact that they play in NJ. I also believe its a major disrespect to NJ that the Super Bowl is being touted as NY.

You should chill with the attack-mode because you frequently go after the wrong people.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 12-16-2012 at 02:23 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
On second thought, why aren't you upset that the teams call themselves NY? Quite frankly, you should be on my side. I don't identify myself by location, it's a fickle self-identity to have.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
I don't care. I'm a Raiders fan. Which is odd because I've never even been to California...I just remember when I first started getting into football I knew I didn't want to be a Patriots fan as I should have been, they were a bunch of goody-goody squeaky clean pretty boys. Then I saw a Raiders game and they showed the Black Hole, with a guy dressed up like King Kong and beating his chest, another guy walking around in a Darth Vader costume, people dressed all in black like pirates and vampires and I was like, "Yep, those are my people!" So ever since I've been a Radiers fan.

Also I really liked the Howie Long radio shack commercials and when I found out he played for the Raiders, it kind of sealed the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City