Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 11,290 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm going to be in NYC for residency next year and was wondering where would be a good place to live if I'm working at Jacobi in the Bronx. I don't mind a commute, but nothing over 40-50 minutes! I figure since I'm from out of town, and like to go out now and then, it would be better to live in the city. I mapped it out and East Village is a pretty far commute up to the hospital I'd be at. Anyone have any better suggestions? I figure I'd want to be somewhere that's safe, has good neighborhood restaurants. I went for some interviews in Park Slope a few months ago and I really liked the area. Anything like that in Manhattan, within a reasonable distance from where I need to be going everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Bluedog where are you???

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Doesn't "residency" at a hospital mean practically slave work hours and work at all times of day and night ? Most other posters who have come on this site as future "residents" at a hospital( no matter where) usually want to be in a "safe" neighborhood with reasonable rent as close as possible to the hospital where they will be doing their residency.

If you really feel as though you have to be in Manhattan you better stick with the Upper West Side or the Upper East Side to be near the 2 and 5 trains because ultimately you will want to get to the Pelham Parkway stop of the 5 train for Jacobi.If you live on the upper West Side you can take the 2 train to 180th St and switch to the 5 train there.Anyplace further downtown or in Brooklyn would definitely put you outside of the 40 minute time frame.Brooklyn will put you into the over an hour to hour and a half time frame.

In case you are interested or curious,the section of Pelham Parkway/Morris Park that surrounds Jacobi is a very decent neighborhood with lots of restaurants,shops,etc.The rents are also about 1/2(maybe even less than 1/2) those in any of the other neighborhoods you mention.

I understand the urge to go out "once in a while" and it might be just me but I would think it would be better for you to live close(walking distance) to the place where you will be spending the overwhelming majority of your time and eliminate the daily grind of a long commute.

If you decide to consider living near Jacobi and need help with areas to look ,etc I will be happy to help because it is where I live.As far as I know, the overwhelming majority of Jacobi residents and Albert Einstein College students and residents live in the neighborhood surrounding the hospital complex so you will have lots of company.

If you do decide to live in Manhattan I think the UES and UWS are your best bets, if you can afford them.The area with the most reasonable rents will be Upper East Side/Yorkville,East of 1st Avenue in the 80's and 90's .

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-18-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Don't residents get paid between 40-48K/year? What are you planning to spend on rent?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 11,290 times
They're giving me 60 for the year. The call schedule for my program is not so bad, and so I imagine that I'll be able to keep fairly regular hours.

I'm coming from Canada, and in some ways I want to experience "living in the city", so to speak. Do you think it's overrated?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Even with 60,000 you are in the 1,200 or so rent range .Maybe 1,500 tops if you don 't mind being a little reckless. It will be extremely difficult to find a place in a neighborhood in Manhattan where you would want to live, even for 1,500.You would probably have to find a roommate situation . I wouldn't 't do it but I can understand .

Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I tend to agree with bluedog...that you should really live closer to work, specifically in and around Pelham Parkway/Morris Park area. It is a trek to go to the Village however...but if you plan accordingly and don't want to do it every night, you can deal with it.

If you feel you must have the NYC experience, at best, with your salary, you can live in East Harlem with a roommate, or the UES with a roommate and still be within 25 minutes of both the Village and work..those are your best choices for Manhattan living. The reverse commute also is a breeze and swift indeed....

Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times
Live within a 5 minute walk from the 2/5 train station on Pelham Parkway/White Plains Rd and your "entertainment" commute would be a little bit, but work is a breeze. I would prioritize your work commute first. 55 minutes to Saint Marks/45 minutes to Union Square via subway from the PP train station. Diverse area, amenities, 15 minute work commute!

If you want a middle ground situation, the most even commute. Longwood area (Closer to East 163rd) in the Bronx. It's about the same commute both ways (Saint Marks or Jacobi). 35 minutes. Area has it's problems but it depends on your tolerance level. It's also affordable. Benefits include both 2/5 and 6 line access. Lots of amenities locally actually, pretty big retail strip nearby. The problem is the area is pretty poor so as it goes without saying, watch yourself.

East Harlem (East 116th st) will get you to Jacobi in 45 minutes/Saint Marks Place in 25 minutes if you like being closer to the entertainment. East Harlem again has it's issues like Longwood.

Anything in the UES is going to push your commute above the 45 minute threshold and cost more. Trust me, being close to work is great when the weather is crap.

Take note the Village isn't the only place to go bar hopping in town. Murry Hill and the UES on the 6 line are closer options. If you take the 2 there is also the UWS and don't forget local attractions in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 12-19-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City