Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So long story short, I moved into a two bedroom apartment in a new building in Williamsburg (2Bd, 1Bath), and we were under the impression that electricity was paid for. Lo and behold, about a week ago, our electricity was shut off and upon calling ConEd, they said we had never paid a bill. That was interesting seeing as we never got a bill, but regardless, when we did get a bill (after calling them), it was around $200 a month and upwards of 1,100+KwH a month. Something about that seemed odd to me seeing as I have a friend that lives in Greenpoint in a 3Bd and his monthly bill is around 75$ and he uses about 114KwH a month.

Furthermore, the actual apartment letter is incorrect on the bill, but the name on the bill itself is correct (I'm in 3F, the bill says 2F) - is that maybe what's causing the bill to be so high? Maybe they are charging us for both of the apartments electricity? Even then, wouldn't 500KwH a month still be quite expensive? We do have central air, washer/dryer and dishwasher, but haven't used the air in over 3 months, yet the bill is still really expensive.

Would calling ConEd be any help? Does anyone have a similar experience that they could elaborate on for me? Anything would help! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
First thing I would do is ask an internet forum instead of calling ConEd.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpence View Post
Hi Everyone,

So long story short, I moved into a two bedroom apartment in a new building in Williamsburg (2Bd, 1Bath), and we were under the impression that electricity was paid for. Lo and behold, about a week ago, our electricity was shut off and upon calling ConEd, they said we had never paid a bill. That was interesting seeing as we never got a bill, but regardless, when we did get a bill (after calling them), it was around $200 a month and upwards of 1,100+KwH a month. Something about that seemed odd to me seeing as I have a friend that lives in Greenpoint in a 3Bd and his monthly bill is around 75$ and he uses about 114KwH a month.

Furthermore, the actual apartment letter is incorrect on the bill, but the name on the bill itself is correct (I'm in 3F, the bill says 2F) - is that maybe what's causing the bill to be so high? Maybe they are charging us for both of the apartments electricity? Even then, wouldn't 500KwH a month still be quite expensive? We do have central air, washer/dryer and dishwasher, but haven't used the air in over 3 months, yet the bill is still really expensive.

Would calling ConEd be any help? Does anyone have a similar experience that they could elaborate on for me? Anything would help! Thanks so much.
Are you sure you don't have electric heat ? And what about the hot water ?

I have many friends around the city(including in Williamsburg) who have moved into new construction apartments that have individual heating/ac units (electric) in each room and individual electric hot water heaters.At this point there are countless buildings across the city with this type of arrangement.Tenants pay for heat and hot water.

The fact they you say you never applied for a con ed account yet somehow got one makes me think it might be automatic and in your lease somewhere.

The fact that you have a friend who lives in Greenpoint whose electric bill is $75/mo is meaningless and irrelevant.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
like bluedog says,
It all hinges on whether you have electrical resistance heaters connected to your meter. If you do, there is nothing extreme about 1100 Kwhr/month, which SHOULD cost you more like $300.

Dryer and dishwasher (set on a DRY cycle) will also drive you broke. Central air is also murderous in the Summer.

Given that you have central air, I will almost bet that your are making your own elctric heat and to lower the bill you will have to bundle up, sleep under comforters, hang heavy insulated drapes and bake a lot. (Do you pay for cooking gas?)
Are all your neighboring apartments occupied? Empty apartments + electic heat = bankruptcy.

Something you MIGHT check out. Look at your downstairs neighbor's lights at night. When they are on, go to your electric meter and thow all the breakers to OFF. Then go back outside and see if your neighbor is in the dark.

And DO turn off the DRY cycle of your dishwasher. In dry Winter air they will air dry nicely overnight.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
If you can access the meters, check that the reading is what is on your bill. Does the bill say that it is an actual reading or an estimated reading? There's always the possibility you are paying a "catch-up" as well if they had been estimating and now got access to the meter to see the real reading.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

HOLY COW! That sounds more like the LIPA bill for my ENTIRE house!
Is there an individual meter for your apartment? If so, is there anyway of checking whether someone has tapped into it? Did you have an electric range? Have an electric dryer? Forced hot air heat? Use space heaters? Have electric heat? Use the heat dry setting on the dishwasher? Leave your computer on all the time? Have cable boxes or Fios? Use toaster ovens?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM

61 posts, read 207,825 times
I had an issue like this once. I was living in a 3 family house renting one floor and my gas bill was very expensive. I found out my land lord was running the gas from the illegal basement apartment on my line. And the washer and dryer that all the tenant used was on my gas line too. My landlord gave me a reduction in my rent to make up for the high gas bills. Good luck

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Anyone who has never experienced electric heat before is ALWAYS going to get a shock when the bills come rolling in.

In the "luxury" apartement building I recently moved from people PRAYED for bills as low as $200 in Winter whiile walking around in two sweaters in a never comfortable apartment. And this was NJ with electic rates 30% less than Con-Ed.

I would NEVER again move into any such building. Electric heat sucks the big one.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Yes call ConED. I had a similar situation happen to me when I first moved into my previous apartment. The first bill was ridiculously high. They will do another reading and rectify the mistake if there is one indeed.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
I've lived in these new luxury buildings and have had probs too. Here are some of the possibilities:

-New shoddy construction, buildings built in that area were built quickly and many were sitting out in the elements half built when the economy crashed. Cheap windows, air penetration around HVAC units(if you have the window ones).

-New buildings sometimes have meters tied together and you could be metering for 2 units.

-Most likely, electric heat, not gas. Landlord pays for gas, not electric.

Regardless, call con-ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City