Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

The name Rhyli comes from two names: Rhyno and Liza...

We are two best friends that decided to go to New York ... ( desperate dream for both of us)...

Where to begin... We love the city, buildings, Central Park, Art museums and yellow taxi's.

So we started our research, finding you can pay for a 'work visa'. Then you need to find a job before you can move to New York.

Our main question is 'how do you find a job in New York when you live in South-Africa?'
Google is no help at this point. Does someone know of a website we can check out?

Or if someone owns a company and would like to employ us, that would be great... haha...

Liza: I studied photography, but there is currently no work available in this field. So I'm freelancing at this moment. For now I work at a shop as the shop manager. I also do the promotions and advert design for the shop. I am very creative and would love to work in the art industry.

Rhyno: I currently do admin work in a emergency unit. In my spare time I like to paint. I also have done a few commission paintings for companies. I am a creative thinker and would like to get a job where I can be creative. That's me in a rap.

If you know of a link that could help us, please send it to us.

Thanx

the SA wanna be New Yorkersss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
You might want to post this on the Legal Immigration forum as well.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
You have few marketable skills. Stay where you are because ny is too expensive for you

Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Sadly given this time in the economy of the US, you have nothing that would work that could keep you afloat in New York City.

Graphic Designers and Admin. are a dime a dozen in this city- and at low wages -30K & 30K... you'd be downright poor... far poorer than the poor who are citizens though as they are supported heavily by welfare programs and housing programs.

Save some money, visit New York for 3 months- get a sublet, and look for work. There's always a chance something could work out... but times are tough in this city right now if you expect to live a quality life.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,779 times
Well I will try to offer some constructive advice since everyone seems to be completely pessimistic. I would suggest you try searching on craigslist. There are a lot of startup social media companies in the city right now that I know for a fact hire people who are from out of the country- I have several Irish friends who are working at one in Brooklyn now. They get paid completely like crap- I think they started out at $8 an hour and went up to $12 after a few months. But if it's really a dream of yours to be in NY you could make it work. You would likely have to share a room in a more affordable neighborhood in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx. And it would still be tight money-wise. I would suggest you save up a few thousand dollars before coming to subsidize the fact that you won't be making much.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,568 times
I would learn a trade before you come to the big city. Art rarely pays all the bills.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,589 times
Thank you for all the comments. We found a recruitment company in Cape Town (Work Away International) This agency specifically help people to get work at Country Clubs in America. We are going to attend an information session in April, then we can make an informed decision on going to America. You can check out the website (Workaway International - Home). If you think this is a great option to consider, we would like to hear your feedback.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,209 times
You need $500,000 to "pay for a work visa". You dont actually pay- you invest that amount in something designated by the government as targeted due to area unemployment or its rural nature. The cards/program are designated EB5.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
We need scientists, doctors with rare specializations, engineers and the like.

We have entire neighborhoods of struggling artists.
Sorry.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Chava is right. Post in the immigration forums.

You might want to consider staying in Cape Town. It's a beautiful place with many natural vistas that will inspire a genuine artist much more than living in a low budget urban dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City