Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post
Where above 96th Street do you consider safe and good places to live?
97th street. The block between 5th and Madison avenue is as good as any block in upper east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
So you're saying a definite "NO" to that area? I haven't been to East Harlem so I know nothing about that neighborhood. Where above 96th Street do you consider safe and good places to live?
"Safe" and a good place to live are two different things. I think closer to 5th Avenue would be good and below 110th. Definitely do not move there if you have not visited. People have different ideas regarding what's tolerable.

There are some good side streets, in fact, some years ago, we almost took a place on 98th (?) I think, off 5th. It was quiet and clean and the building and apartment were very very nice. It was across from a parking garage - that's why we did not take it.

The project areas can be terrible in the summer. But maybe you do not mind ...?
There are shootings and a lot of them. There is currently some violent mugger stalking elderly Asian people.

If you do move there, Ricardo is a great restaurant. Patsy's is not so far either, I was never very thrilled about it.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
You asked what is a suitable area for you to live in. Only you can answer that question of what is suitable for you. Your best bet it since you said you didn't know the area is to go there yourself. Asking on a forum isn't going to answer your question. What one considers safe and nice another may not. What someone considers the hood may not bother someone else who grew up in a worse neighborhood. Take the train to the neighborhoods you are thinking about, walk around the area for a while see how you like it and feel. Do this in the day and night time. But remember winter is a hard time to truly judge a neighborhood cause summer is when the true colors of a neighborhood appear.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM

You might consider:

Convent Avenue - upper is quite nice.

Morningside Avenue - lower, as in not the first few buildings below 125th.

The side streets between Morningside and Manhattan - many are good. Between FDB and ACP many are not good, few are good.

Manhattan Avenue.

I would not go above 127th on St. Nicholas. I would not go above 123rd on FDB.

I don't know, Lenox and ACP always still seem iffy to me, perhaps less than East Harlem, though.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
AHH OH, did your realtor say "UP AND COMING" and "SPAHA" lol...
SPAHA lol !!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,041 times
Quote:
I'm not familiar with specific places. I just wanted to know where in Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights are suitable.
Why not live in Queens or Brooklyn instead? I was born in New York City and I live in New York City, it's a much better idea.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM

50 posts, read 90,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Why not live in Queens or Brooklyn instead? I was born in New York City and I live in New York City, it's a much better idea.
Currently in Brooklyn. Would like to stay here but its getting very expensive. Believe it or not East Harlem is cheaper and its been a headache trying to find an apartment. I'm so tired. My next question is: apart from Craigslist, does anyone know where I can search for apartments? Doesn't have to be online but where is a good place to go to find a place (like a management company, etc.). I'm really having a tough time and Craigslist is all I'm using right now.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,041 times
Quote:
Currently in Brooklyn. Would like to stay here but its getting very expensive. Believe it or not East Harlem is cheaper and its been a headache trying to find an apartment. I'm so tired. My next question is: apart from Craigslist, does anyone know where I can search for apartments? Doesn't have to be online but where is a good place to go to find a place (like a management company, etc.). I'm really having a tough time and Craigslist is all I'm using right now.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What's your budget?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

24 posts, read 45,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You might consider:

Convent Avenue - upper is quite nice.

Morningside Avenue - lower, as in not the first few buildings below 125th.

The side streets between Morningside and Manhattan - many are good. Between FDB and ACP many are not good, few are good.

Manhattan Avenue.

I would not go above 127th on St. Nicholas. I would not go above 123rd on FDB.

I don't know, Lenox and ACP always still seem iffy to me, perhaps less than East Harlem, though.

This was a useful insight. I've been looking for some street-specific insights on Harlem. I know it is highly subjective and personal, but I'm curious about your suggested boundaries.

When you say Lenox and ACP seem "iffy" to you, is that your feeling all the way up and down? Red Rooster is on Lenox at 126th. There are banks at 116th. But there are Taft projects down at 112th.

Why is 123rd your comfort zone on FDB and not 125th? Aloft Hotel is on FDB at 124th St. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeisme View Post
This was a useful insight. I've been looking for some street-specific insights on Harlem. I know it is highly subjective and personal, but I'm curious about your suggested boundaries.

When you say Lenox and ACP seem "iffy" to you, is that your feeling all the way up and down? Red Rooster is on Lenox at 126th. There are banks at 116th. But there are Taft projects down at 112th.

Why is 123rd your comfort zone on FDB and not 125th? Aloft Hotel is on FDB at 124th St. I'm just curious.

Thanks.
Lenox and ACP are funny. Around 125th, it is improving, but much above the restaurants it is terrible. Then, below, as you point out, there are projects - and social service housing, which people usually do not recognize until they move in. They look like regular buildings. Some of the side streets are okay but you need to move back and forth ... and sometimes things spill over.

The buildings just below the Aloft, east, are not good. On the west side are senior citizen apartments. That said, there is a new rental building opening just below, 123rd ? I think. It was luxury-ish co-ops, project went bankrupt, it was bought and will be market-rate rentals.

I don't know what your budget might be, but you could consider applying for the Balton. It was billed as "affordable," but by that they mean around $2,000 I think.

The school building is nice, across the street, but most are units are being de-regulated. I think I saw a listing for $2,650 recently.

I saw a listing for a place on St. Nicholas and 132nd, "eh" area, not terrible, just above the Hampton Houses - which are not projects - ML. They were bought last year and are undergoing changes. The place on St. Nicholas was $1300, I think ? One bedroom. I know the building, not terrible at all. Those apartments are rent stabilized but the landlord will not tell you - nor should you bring it up ! Until you are in.

Craigslist is a place to meet people, not just to consider a single listing. The agents have the same listings. If you respond to a craiglist post, the agent will show you other things and work with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City