Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I always heard that sunnyside gardens don't have rentals and they are all owned so the only way in is to buy.
There are some rentals, although most are owner occupied. The best thing is the lovely huge cooperative garden with walking paths which prohibits fences, although some dimwitput in a hideous above ground pool (was ever anything more ugly invented.)
I haven't been there since my friends both died of AIDS not long ago after making one of the townhouses palacial, albeit small. But they could entertain 40 people using house and deck. They made a wonderful finished basement and converted the entire top floor to a single bedroom and bath,

Quote:
From Nei: Sunnyside Gardens looks like it's on the north side of the neighborhood.
You are absolutely right and you will have me scratching my head all day how I got turned around. I have been there dozens of times and although I can understand getting mixeed up coming out of the subway, most of the time I DROVE...weird. I always turned left off Queens Boulevard (from NJ) and why I thought I was going South is really bewildering ???????

Anyway, I always found the walk from the Gardens to Queens Boulevard dead dull albeit completely safe and very quiet.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-03-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM

21 posts, read 36,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
It isn't bad at all, just not as "desirable" as the northern portions, and somewhat depressing looking.

Still recommend it over Woodside though.
I've found some pretty nice Apts in Woodside.. Going Monday to Check out a few places in Woodside Sunnyside. Is Woodside still decent but not as nice as Sunnyside or is it not really a desirable place?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 AM

466 posts, read 902,176 times
Woodside is completely fine, it's not just quite as nice looking (IMO) as the northern section of Sunnyside. I would happily live in pretty much every neighborhood on the E/F/M/R lines in Queens, although I haven't been past Forest Hills, so I don't know much about the neighborhoods beyond.

I live in Jackson Heights and really like it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
I actually prefer the southern part of Sunnyside. More diverse, more lively and bustling. Apartments are cheaper too, but it's still safe.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Woodside is completely fine, it's not just quite as nice looking (IMO) as the northern section of Sunnyside. I would happily live in pretty much every neighborhood on the E/F/M/R lines in Queens, although I haven't been past Forest Hills, so I don't know much about the neighborhoods beyond.

I live in Jackson Heights and really like it.
Are there certain areas of Woodside to avoid? What are the desirable areas of the neighborhood? I heard north of Roosevelt things start to get a bit shady? Sorry for all the questions but this is a big decision for me! I'm going to Woodside/Sunnyside tomorrow just want to know which areas to focus my search on!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,851 times
The desire able area of Woodside is the immediate area around the 61st street transit hub. The only parts that you might find shady are way towards the Northern Boulevard direction. Roosevelt Avenue is like an adult Hispanic Disney World

Last edited by Borninnycliveinnyc; 02-03-2013 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
The desire able area of Woodside is the immediate area around the 61st street transit hub. The only parts that you might find shady are way towards the Northern Boulevard direction. Roosevelt Avenue is like an adult Hispanic Disney Word
lol that last sentence literally made me laugh out loud.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder99 View Post
I've found some pretty nice Apts in Woodside.. Going Monday to Check out a few places in Woodside Sunnyside. Is Woodside still decent but not as nice as Sunnyside or is it not really a desirable place?
Woodside is okay....but me personally I find the neighborhood very average and boring. Nothing special about it at all, and some of the side blocks are very depressing to walk through. Woodside is not alone though, there is a lot of neighborhoods in Queens that are like that.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 AM

16 posts, read 23,044 times
Woodside is great for a night out, I have had many nights out there and then caught the train back to Brooklyn with no problems though I have seen plenty of drunken violence. Great neighbourhood if you are of the Irish persuasion and second only to Woodlawn in the Bronx though that area has plenty of muggings and violent assaults lately prompting the Irish community there to form a safety group and look out for each other. Never heard of anything like that in Woodside though.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 AM

Wow that's really happening in Woodlawn? I haven't heard it was getting like that! Are these muggings coming from within Woodlawn or are outsiders coming in and messing around? And I don't mean that in a negative way I just can't imagine the community of Woodlawn doing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City