Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 AM

393 posts, read 783,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by em31 View Post
Thanks! I will look into Sunnyside as well.

I actually went to see a pet friendly apartment today in Astoria, it was great! It was on 31st avenue, between Crescent and 23rd street. Any opinions on this particular area? Seemed pretty nice to me, felt safe, but obviously didn't have a chance to walk around at night.
Depends on what you want...I like the streets above 31st because they are closer to nightlife and my favorite food spots. Obviously there are places to eat and go out in that area as well, but it's quieter (which isn't necessarily bad). You'll be closer to the park on that side though but still a bit of a walk from 31st ave. I feel like for dog owners being closer to the park is a big plus. Did you get a chance to check it out? Nothing wrong with that area though, so if you like it you should definitely consider it.

I was actually looking for a pet-friendly apartment myself when I moved back to Astoria (want to get a dog in the future), and in my experience they move pretty fast. If you don't take this one, next time you go take a long time to walk around and look at grocery stores/laundromats/proximity to park/bars..whatever's important to you. Apartments here have been going pretty fast in general...so go for one if you like it.

Also, take Astoria's realtors with a grain of salt. A lot of them are pessimistic, impatient, pushy and shady. Some are downright crooks and others are seriously mentally unstable (I realize this sounds sort of crazy, but it's totally true). In my experience Aidonis Realty are the only good brokers here, but their inventory is a little limited.

Do your own research and act like you are familiar with the market. There are a lot of newcomers to Astoria from other parts of the city now that it's become more trendy, and there are a lot of brokers who are trying to take advantage of that. I lived here for years and decided to come back after living in Manhattan. If you are youngish and coming from someplace else, the brokers automatically assume you have no clue about Astoria. I can't even tell you how many times I've heard what I knew were total lies. Be careful with leases as well. Astoria's brokers are inept..I knew a lot more about real estate laws than what they were trying to sell me.

In general, there are a ton of people here who are trying to capitalize on the neighborhood's growing popularity by taking advantage of the people who are moving here. If you question something a broker tells you, do your own research. And don't worry about the pet friendly thing. You can find an apartment that allows dogs in Astoria for sure. Definitely check out Astoria Park if you haven't already because you might want to get something near there if you like to take your pet on long walks. There is a lot of demand for housing in Astoria now, and brokers literally pick and choose who they want to work with. They are so lazy that when you have ANY requirements at all they don't want to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will look into Sunnyside as well.

I actually went to see a pet friendly apartment today in Astoria, it was great! It was on 31st avenue, between Crescent and 23rd street. Any opinions on this particular area? Seemed pretty nice to me, felt safe, but obviously didn't have a chance to walk around at night.
I live right around the block from there. Everything in that area, east of 21st, is safe at night. The only problems you might incur at night, is from the bar on the corner of 31st and crescent. It's normally a low key kinda of place, but the occasional drunk does end up making some noise.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM

25 posts, read 53,249 times
Thanks for the responses!

Astorian31:

The occasional Bar-fly doesnt scare me . Toronto is full of them, especially the neighborhood I currently live in there. Something you get used to with city life, just have to always be aware of your surroundings and take proper precautions.

aptnyc:

thanks for all of the pointers! The broker I met with today was SUPER nice, seemed very knowledgeable and definitely here to help me in any way. She was very optimistic about pet-friendly buildings. Overall much better vibe from her than from the other broker I met with on the weekend. I think I am going to fill out an application for this place! she did say they go pretty quickly, so I need to act fast. Overall really loved the apartment, and from what I have seen from my explorations this weekend, I love Astoria as well. Feel completely comfortable and safe, and the diversity of restaurants/cafes is unreal!

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

393 posts, read 783,101 times
Quote:

Astorian31:

The occasional Bar-fly doesnt scare me . Toronto is full of them, especially the neighborhood I currently live in there. Something you get used to with city life, just have to always be aware of your surroundings and take proper precautions.

aptnyc:

thanks for all of the pointers! The broker I met with today was SUPER nice, seemed very knowledgeable and definitely here to help me in any way. She was very optimistic about pet-friendly buildings. Overall much better vibe from her than from the other broker I met with on the weekend. I think I am going to fill out an application for this place! she did say they go pretty quickly, so I need to act fast. Overall really loved the apartment, and from what I have seen from my explorations this weekend, I love Astoria as well. Feel completely comfortable and safe, and the diversity of restaurants/cafes is unreal!
Go for it! I guarantee you you'll love it here

Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Quote:

Astorian31:

aptnyc:

Astoria is a great place to live, wish you all the best.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM

25 posts, read 53,249 times
just thought I would update, and say I officially have my visa (did the interview yesterday) ANDDDDD I got the apartment! Officially move in April. So excited!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City