Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

25 posts, read 53,256 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Toronto to NYC in the next couple of months (once my visa app has been approved). I will have a $70K salary, and $500 per month rent subsidy. I was originally looking at Manhattan, but to be honest,what I can get for the money is just not appealing (I have a dog AND will be working from home quite abit..so..an apartment the size of a postage stamp just wont do). I actually now have my heart set on Astoria, checked out the neighborhood quite a bit and really like it. Only problem: met with a realtor and she said it is borderline impossible to find dog-friendly buildings!

She said I may have more luck in Brooklyn in general, but also said that I should check out Sunnyside, Queens. Thoughts? I am a bit confused because I have found MANY apartments online in Astoria that say they are pet friendly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM

393 posts, read 783,258 times
It actually is pretty tough but not impossible. Brokers in Astoria generally are awful. They don't want to do any work for you at all..and there are SO many of them it's ridiculous. You'll probably get stuck paying a broker's fee anyway, but do your own looking on CL for pet-friendly apartments instead of fully relying on a broker.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM

197 posts, read 517,898 times
I've rented to people with dogs many times, to me it just depends on who i'm renting to. If they seem responsible enough it's fine, I rent/live in Astoria.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM

39 posts, read 54,127 times
Em31, have you looked into Inwood? I have big-dog friends there, and when I visit, I see other big dogs coming and going out of buildings with their owners. By big, I mean Rottweiler size.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I would also suggest Washington Heights. I know people live there with dogs.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,854 times
Get a different realtor. I've lived in Astoria for over a decade and I know that is not true. Sure, some buildings have a no pets policy, but plenty of private houses and buildings in Astoria will allow pets. You just have to do a little leg work. Unfortunately for you, your realtor seems too lazy to do any serious leg work for you. If you really want to live in Astoria you can, good luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I am open to different neighborhoods ideas, as long as I can get a decent sized, well-kept apartment. Will look into your suggestions

I am also going to keep my options open and try a few different realtors, she seemed awfully pessimistic which I did not like.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM

update: talked to a different realtor today who is showing me a pet friendly apartment tomorrow she was way more optimistic about it!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
Since you mentioned sunnyside, I would really recommend that area because it's close to astoria so you can get all the perks of it, and also theres going to be a dog park finished being built this spring/summer in sunnyside. It's very dog friendly.

Also, the first broker your saw.. sucks. I was shown a few apartments in astoria that were dog friendly and I was only able to look for 2 days.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Since you mentioned sunnyside, I would really recommend that area because it's close to astoria so you can get all the perks of it, and also theres going to be a dog park finished being built this spring/summer in sunnyside. It's very dog friendly.

Also, the first broker your saw.. sucks. I was shown a few apartments in astoria that were dog friendly and I was only able to look for 2 days.
Thanks! I will look into Sunnyside as well.

I actually went to see a pet friendly apartment today in Astoria, it was great! It was on 31st avenue, between Crescent and 23rd street. Any opinions on this particular area? Seemed pretty nice to me, felt safe, but obviously didn't have a chance to walk around at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City