Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,170 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Im thinking of moving to WH (around GWB area, west of Broadway, between 175 and 181 st) because I got a job in Fort Lee. Im thinking WH because it is in NYC (=nightlife).

Here are some questions:
1) I was wondering if taking the 1 or A subway back to WH at 2-4am would be dangerous for a guy in his twenties. Also, how safe is it to walk around during this time?
2) How loud is it really? Is it like I cant go to sleep at night?
3) How long would it take to cross the GWB around 8am and 6pm if I take the bus? (How bad is the traffic?) Would I be better off just riding a bike?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddjshin View Post
Hello all, Im thinking of moving to WH (around GWB area, west of Broadway, between 175 and 181 st) because I got a job in Fort Lee. Im thinking WH because it is in NYC (=nightlife).

Here are some questions:
1) I was wondering if taking the 1 or A subway back to WH at 2-4am would be dangerous for a guy in his twenties. Also, how safe is it to walk around during this time?
3) How long would it take to cross the GWB around 8am and 6pm if I take the bus? (How bad is the traffic?) Would I be better off just riding a bike?

Thanks!
Not dangerous for a guy but always keep you guard up.

It is loud during the summertime and weekends but you will be able to sleep. I live on 179st and i sleep fine.

you will take the charter buses. it all depends on traffic but i would estimate 8 to 12 mins. I would ride a bike since you save $$$. Take the charter bus when it's raining, snowing, extremely cold, etc.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
There are regular NJT buses, no need for the white van charters. Otherwise agree. You should try biking; it's a great ride.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddjshin View Post

Here are some questions:

Thanks!
Black guy no
Hispanic guy no
Asian guy no
White guy better have a strap lol

Nah just kidding NYPD ranked WH fourth-safest neighborhood in Manhattan 2011.
Although post 12am walking around anywhere you are willingly accepting the risk.

Nightlife:

Um you don't go to NYC b/c of nightlife. Blame the media for false perception. Partying all night in the city costs money. The only people who do are the rich or slackers that blow their money away.

Unless you are financially stable, you wont be going anywhere except local bars. WH is not known for its nightlife scene because it does not have one (which isn't entirely true). The area is currently experiencing an influx of Spanish people and whites are moving out or being replaced. No intent to be racist but that's what happening right now. If you don't mind Spanish culture, clubs, restaurants, bars....then it's a nice place.

Most of the college kids who live in WH are white non-hispanic and live in the Spanish areas. The neighborhood is responding to the demographic change. As such, most of the younger college kids that reside their, travel to different areas of the city for nightlife. Why? Well again it's not racist, but sometimes people just want to see a menu that is written in English and not ask the waiter all the time what xyz means.

Last edited by MilksFavoriteCookie; 03-10-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
Great neighborhood! So many different people moving in like artists, college students, doctors, nurses and more. You even have gay families moving up here to start a family.

Washington Heights is on the rise. The diversity will add more vibrancy to the area.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 15,954 times
To specifically address your questions:

1.) Taking the subway at 2-4 AM is a moderate risk during weekdays, a little less during weekends but the risk is still there. Generally the trains are empty and will once in a while attract trouble and petty crime. Walking around is not bad at all, I haven't ran into any trouble just avoid walking directly into big groups or in front of buildings where the young guys (read: hoodlums) with nothing better to do hang out.

2.) How loud depends where you live and what side you face. Generally anything on St. Nicholas, and to a lesser extent Broadway will be loud and trafficked. The inner apartments in the building will generally be quieter with less street noise.

3.) Taking the bus from GWB -> Jersey at 8am is about 20-30 mins, Jersey -> GWB 30-45 mins at 6pm. Basically there is NJ traffic coming into the city in the morning and going out in the evening.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 15,954 times
Also forgot to mention, the noise situation changes dramatically when the hot weather comes in. I would be cautious around this time of year as the "undesirables" may not make their late night appearances until spring/summer. Summer they will be out in full force and is a better gauge of the noise situation. In my particular block (190th & St. Nicholas), I have a group of dudes that will carry on hour long babble even in the winter. FML. Also occasionally someone will decide to park their 1000 W audio system outside your building for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour in the spring/summer. Very annoying.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Have friends on Havens with small children. Whenever we visit, their area seems very family oriented and safe.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM

123 posts, read 176,812 times
White, female in WH here. Been here since Dec and no problems. Worst thing thats happened is black guys hit on me, and spanish guys hit on me in Spanish. As a guy, I doubt you'll have that. Ive walked all hours.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM

123 posts, read 176,812 times
And where can you get busses to NJ in WH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City