Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Why do people keep dreaming that the projects (aka those poor browns and blacks who have "ruined" NYC) are going anywhere? Even if NYC were to sell off the projects, demolish them, whatever, NYC is still obligated BY LAW to house each and every one who needs shelter...
Laws can be changed. Or, in many cases, simply ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Sorry people, but if you believe there is a privatization in the works to get rid of the poor or the city is out to demolish housing projects...people have had this same dream for decades. Even if the city privatized every housing project, every resident that is evicted, or cannot pay higher rent, walks to the shelter and gets housing paid for by the city, again, FOR LIFE. Even if every housing project is demolished, all those residents walk over to the homeless shelter and gets housing paid for by the city, again, FOR LIFE.

What part of this do you not understand? Until that changes, the projects are not going anywhere. Bloomberg has been especially vocal about this law recently:

Mayor Bloomberg: Shelter population is surging because even people who fly in private jets and use limos are entitled to beds - NY Daily News
Have you ever been inside a city shelter or welfare motel? I have, for all of one hour. It was so horrible I left. I would leave the state before staying in such a place (I have family members all over the country). A lot of people find conditions so deplorable if they find ways out, they do. As in move to another town or state. And there have been many who have done so.

As for those already on Section 8 or disability, if they are living in housing projects and those projects are demolish, they can resettle ANYWHERE in the United States. They are not limited to NYC.

And I want you to tell me how people can get housing for life from the city . According to that NY Times article, the wait list for the housing projects has 160000 people on it. It could take you decades to get in, and who really wants to spend all that time in a shelter? By then you've scraped up money, gotten some sort of job, or left town. Section 8, is CLOSED to new applicants according to the NYCHA website.

The problem with you is once you know something, you argue it over any evidence presented to the contrary, all while not presenting any evidence to back up your claims.

What is this alleged statue that requires everyone to get housing for life? How it is it enforced? Why does NYC have a growing housing population? Why do advocates for the poor speak of landlords rejecting government programs?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
nybbler...as soon as the laws is changed, then we can have a meaningful conversation about privatization or elimination of housing projects. As it stands now, and for the past 30+ years, anyone and everyone can come to the homeless shelters, claim to be homeless, and the city must find them shelter, at a price they can afford, for life. ANd I say for life because at any point they cannot afford their housing, they simple walk back to the shelter and the cycle begins again.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
nybbler...as soon as the laws is changed, then we can have a meaningful conversation about privatization or elimination of housing projects. As it stands now, and for the past 30+ years, anyone and everyone can come to the homeless shelters, claim to be homeless, and the city must find them shelter, at a price they can afford, for life. ANd I say for life because at any point they cannot afford their housing, they simple walk back to the shelter and the cycle begins again.
What laws? Can you cite these alleged laws? Repeating something 100 times does not make it true. Supply evidence that everyone who goes to a shelter is guaranteed housing in NYC for life. If this is true, it will be on nyc.gov and I'm waiting for you to supply the links.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I thought public housing was to help one out for a while while down on luck or something to that nature, not provide cheap housing for the rest of your life?????

Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I thought public housing was to help one out for a while while down on luck or something to that nature, not provide cheap housing for the rest of your life?????
You and others thought very wrong. The role of public housing, at least here, is to provide long term affordable housing to working class families, not some sort of temporary housing. That's what shelters are for. And the whole welfare theme came later on.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYCHA's $148M*ghost town - Page 1 - NY Daily News

The city said Prospect Plaza would cost too much to rehab. I wonder what does this mean for other projects, particularly those damaged by Hurricane Sandy?

Some projects would appear to be in comparatively good shape, and could indeed be sold to a developer/privatized. Others just aren't worth it.
I think the city saw this as an opportunity to exit and took it. They want to divest themselves from owning housing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: