Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times

Advertisements

I'm always a bit suspicious of outside food. I eat it sometimes, and so far I've been ok (knock on wood). But every now and then I hear of people getting the worst diarrhea or other problems. I can't help but think one of these days it will be me. Anyone have similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I've been eating street food in various countries for a good while now, and I haven't ever had a bad experience. I have seen some fairly gross looking carts here and there, but I just avoid those. For the most part, NYC street food seems perfectly fine to me. I mean, at least they're doing a lot of the work out in public where you can see what they're doing. Who knows what goes on in kitchens, eh?

And I feel that Halal carts, while delicious, shouldn't be as dominant as they are. I'd like there to be more competition with a greater number of different foods being offered. Ideally, I'd like every ethnicity be competing wildly with their own ethnic cuisine street vendors--seriously, the street vendors in East and Southeast Asia had way more variety than the vendors here.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

And I feel that Halal carts, while delicious, shouldn't be as dominant as they are. I'd like there to be more competition with a greater number of different foods being offered. Ideally, I'd like every ethnicity be competing wildly with their own ethnic cuisine street vendors--seriously, the street vendors in East and Southeast Asia had way more variety than the vendors here.
I agree, I'd prefer more diversity in street food. I doubt you would get every ethnicity though. One reason why Halal food is so prominent is that there are many low-skill poor Middle Eastern immigrants in NYC. Some immigrants are not as poor or low skilled (Japanese, for example) and may not want to work in food carts all day long.

Also some cuisines may not be suitable for street cooking. Sometimes you need things like running water, or an oven.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I agree, I'd prefer more diversity in street food. I doubt you would get every ethnicity though. One reason why Halal food is so prominent is that there are many low-skill poor Middle Eastern immigrants in NYC. Some immigrants are not as poor or low skilled (Japanese, for example) and may not want to work in food carts all day long.

Also some cuisines may not be suitable for street cooking. Sometimes you need things like running water, or an oven.
There's the new spurt of young'uns in trucks selling the odd items here and there (so far I've seen bbq, taiwanese food, belgian waffles, and tacos), so hopefully those are actual sustainable businesses rather than trust fund experiments. Also, I'm sure the vendors can figure out a way to adapt some of the foodstuffs since most cuisines have a variety of foods and many geared towards easy preservation and preparation.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
ako

140 posts, read 337,595 times
Are these sidewalk food vendors spread out everywhere or are they all clumped up together?

In Taiwan we have night markets, which is actually just lots and lots of food carts clumped together. And you'll rarely see a food vendor by himself with no other food vendors around.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM

They're usually by themselves, or in heavy foot traffic areas, there might be one on every corner. There's nothing like the night markets here though--the closest you'll get are certain parts of Flushing and even then they're tiny compared to the night markets.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

82 posts, read 254,151 times
I mob the fruit stands, every now than then they'll sell you a bunch of stuff for a dollar.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 AM

264 posts, read 716,579 times
I love the middle eastern halal food carts. loooove them.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-12-2009 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Offensive

Old 06-12-2009, 08:07 PM

185 posts, read 647,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post

Well it is cheap, you can't beat five bucks for a large meal of chicken, rice and lettuce.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 PM

11 posts, read 116,043 times
I actually asked a guy in Herald Square about the lack of knishes... he said it was the state and mumbled something about how it's tough to sell them because the state or whoever their governing body is... he told me that if they sell knishes they have stricter guidelines... not sure if there's any truth but that's what I was told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City