Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 26,902 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
When I lived on the UWS I saw many parents taking their children to school in cabs. Or walking if it was a neighborhood school.

Driving your child to school every day in Manhattan seems like a waste of time.
(AGREED)

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdillon58 View Post
Im moving to the city. I have a good job working as an associate in a PI firm. Have wife with 2 kids and I need to know if it would be better to live in Manhattan or in one of the other boroughs. I know that having a car is expensive but I don't think that when my children hit school that I can not get by not having a car to take them. Yes I do want them to be in a private school so that cost is figured into the equation. I'm asking because I will be moving from Indiana where lets be honest everything is cheep when it is compared to NYC.

Congratulations regarding the great job opportunity!

As you already know ...the cost of living is extremely high in NYC. Have you considered living in one of the boroughs near Manhattan such as Brooklyn; Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Ft Greene, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn Heights , Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill.

The borough of Queens; Forest Hills, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Fresh Meadows.

Or you can check out NewJersey? If you would consider commuting by train I'd say get a NJ transit or Path Train map & stay close to the train routes. Being close enough to walk to the station is a plus because parking can be extremely expensive and a hassle

Check out Morris and Essex county. Northern Union (limited to maybe Summit and Westfield)-New Jersey

Some nice towns to consider would be Cranford, Garwood, Fanwood, Scotch Plains, Hoboken, Newport- New Jersey

Advantages to Hoboken are that it's a city in itself with restaurants, bars, etc. It's an easier commute to parts of the city (the west side and the lower part of midtown) than from the Upper East side. There's a few decent areas in Jersey City; Newport is quite expensive but you do get bigger apartments than typical in Manhattan; I don't know much about the others, but they pretty much have the same commute as Hoboken from what I've been told.

Weehawken is very nice but commute is by bus or ferry

One thing to consider--it's less expensive to keep a car in Brooklyn, Queens, or NJ than in NYC. Many apartments include a parking spot. This would also open any number of other job opportunities in the above mentioned areas for your wife.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Last edited by CeCe Bree; 03-18-2013 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: misspelled & missing words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City