Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 AM

10 posts, read 15,242 times

Advertisements

I'm a musician and art student in my early 20's, currently living on the Upper West Side near 100th street. At the end of my lease in May I'm heading to Brooklyn.

I'm gay, so unfortunately neighborhood safety is of slightly greater importance.... it's also due to my need for/habit of being alone and out late at night on a frequent basis.

I love living alone and I'm trying to get a 1 bedroom for between $1600 and $1800 somewhere in the borough that fits the description. Off the L would be ideal.

So what areas should I be looking at? Which ones should I steer clear of?

Thank you!

edit: Specifically, how are the areas around the Morgan, Montrose and Jefferson stops off of the L in terms of safety?

Last edited by spacepilot; 03-25-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
What kind of neighborhoods would be unsafe for gays and safe for everyone else?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Try looking in Prospect Heights, Clinton Hill and Ft. Greene. The high end of yr budget will be the low end for these neighbohoods now, but you should probably be able to snag something. All three just-east-of-Flatbush Ave neighborhoods are relatively safe, moderately interesting, racially mixed, and slightly upscale, w/o the pretensions of Williamsburgh or the prices of Park Slope. Many creative people call these three nabes home and you'd probably fit in well. There is decent train transportation (for the most part) to the city. I also highly doubt you'd encounter any gay-bashing thing type thing here.

EDit: These are not nabes on the L line, I know -- they're on the 2,3 and A,C mostly -- but I think that they will have the vibe you want.

Last edited by citylove101; 03-25-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: