Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Can't remember where I read the stat, but the median black income is higher than the median Hispanic income in NYC. By about 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Sections of Queens like Laurelton and Cambria Heights.
Also St. Albans and Rosedale. The OP didn't leave a lot of detail but when he or she says (no racist), are they asking if you can name a Black neighborhood in New York that is "not poverty" or the U.S. in general? There are plenty of affluent predominately black neighborhoods in the U.S. I would say most are around D.C. (particularly Prince George's County), suburban Atlanta, and most definitely around NYC, particularly Queens (will give a shout out to Roselle, NJ since one of my aunts moved there like 15 yrs. ago when she left BK ).

But its crazy to ask if NYC has black neighborhoods that aren't poor. Queens has the distinction of having a higher income black population than white population:

Black Incomes Surpass Whites in Queens

Not only are some of the highest income black neighborhoods in New York, the OP just said "not poverty". I know I could go on City-Data and look at the incomes of all of the census tracts but I will stick to what I know and say there are a few majority black neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are not wealthy but are not what I would consider to be impoverished.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM

40 posts, read 73,001 times
Rare sighting.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I had a couple friends go to Parkchester to check out a bargain co-op. They were never seen again.

mediocre,
What is that immense housing project called?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I had a couple friends go to Parkchester to check out a bargain co-op. They were never seen again.

mediocre,
Parkchester Apartment Complex. It's not NYCHA.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:

mediocre,
Not projects.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Thats still a sizable black presence, though. The poster was asking where can you find large numbers of Blacks in the city who aren't poor. The North Bronx in generally has a lot of working class and middle class Blacks. As do parts of Eastern Queens. So do some areas of Harlem.
I know. But you can't really consider it a "black neighborhood" if it's only about 40% black. That means that if you bump into any random person on the street, more likely than not, they would not be black (if that makes any sense). It's a diverse neighborhood with a black plurality, but it's not a black neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Can't remember where I read the stat, but the median black income is higher than the median Hispanic income in NYC. By about 25%.
I don't feel like looking, but one of the sites in my blog has those stats. (I think it's a CUNY report regarding Hispanics, and I think it's Part III of the blog).

Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I often use "immense project" in the sense of a large complex, or an undertaking, rather than NYCHA. I guess I could say "pile of houses" or "building complex"
or "large neighborhood of similar looking high rises."
But I guess the word "project" has fallen into disrepute of late.
Probably "housing development" is the clearest choice.

So tell me about "Parkchester Apartment Complex." Is it Mitchell Lama, affordable, market, rental, co-op?
(I have never been to Parkchester but a couple members of my building's staff live up there.)

Hmmm, I see built by Met Life (Like Stuyvesant and Peter Cooper) as rentals and 1/3 has converted to condo ownership. Seems only the housing development is properly called PARKCHESTER, the 171 towers themselves.

Has Met Life sold out?

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-01-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I often use "immense project" in the sense of a large complex, or an undertaking, rather than NYCHA. I guess I could say "pile of houses" or "building complex"
or "large neighborhood of similar looking high rises."
Probably "housing development" is the clearest choice.

So tell me about "Parkchester Apartment Complex." Is it Mitchell Lama, affordable, market, rental, co-op?
(I have never been to Parkchester but a couple members of my building's staff live up there.)

Hmmm, I see built by Met Life (Like Stuyvesant and Peter Cooper) as rentals and 1/3 has converted to condo ownership. Seems only the housing development is properly called PARKCHESTER, the 171 towers themselves.

Has Met Life sold out?

THE PARKCHESTER INFORMATION NETWORK - rent a parkchester apartment - www.parkchesterinfo.com/rent_an_apartment/

Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not. If it is a NYCHA managed building it's always called the "projects" No sugarcoating here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City