Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
We are two little white girls from BK looking to move to the Harlem area. We found some super cheap apts on 145th and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd and are wondering if its SO cheap because we'll probably get murdered. We felt perfectly safe during the day, but one of us works nights. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Troll?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Troll?
I know huh??...But I will entertain her...No is the answer. Stop listening to stupid people. Nothings gonna happen to you

Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,661 times
That's what I told the stupid people. They're telling me I'm wrong. Basically I'm here to ask you guys to back me up.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisAptHuntSucks View Post
That's what I told the stupid people. They're telling me I'm wrong. Basically I'm here to ask you guys to back me up.
You will be OK. If you neglect to look both ways before crossing the street, you could get hurt. But the same could be said in Midtown...lol

Seriously, not that bad. Its a good amount of stuff between 7th and 8th ave. 15 minute walk West from 7th and 145th, you will be at Riverbank State Park. 5 minute walk West, you got Jackie Robinson Park. 10 blocks long. Also, on 145th and St. Nich you can get the C-D line express. Or walk from 145th and 7th up 3 blocks to 148th and get the 2-3 line.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Try to get a place at the intersection of Adam Clayton Powell, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Frederick Douglass Boulevards where they run into Nelson Mandela Drive at Aretha Franklin Street.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
I'd prefer to be further West, but no, I'm willing to bet you won't be murdered. I live in the area.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 PM

92 posts, read 230,531 times
That area is a checkerboard of "good" and "bad" spots.

145st is basically 125st lite. Same feel with 50% less commercialization and foot traffic. Adam Clayton Powell Jr blvd is towards the "bad" side. You have the 3 train right there and a lot of vagrants hangout in that area especially outside during the warm months. It's lies in the middle of cultural transitional area where the demographic starts becoming more Dominican and less black. They further you go north from here the more "Dominican" the streets get. (Although some might argue that 155st is a better example of this) If you walk/drive further east on 145 you will find yourself at 145st bridge. When you cross you'll end up right next to a huge shopping center/mall and Interstate 87, convenient.

Towards the west side you have ABCD and 1 lines which will provide fast service to midtown Manhattan, but you'll find access to the east side of Manhattan via public transportation to be cumbersome and nightmarish. Your best bet is taking the D to 161st/Yankee stadium in the Bronx and transferring to a downtown crown heights bound 4 train. You can also take the bus to Grand concourse in the bronx, I believe the BX19. (I actually goes all the way across the Bronx to the 6 train too but thats a decent trip)

In terms of safety I would echo the sentiments of previous posters and look for something closer to the west/hamilton heights section. Riverbank park is nice. I haven't been there in over half a decade but they have a full sized track there and a decent facility which can get over crowded sometimes. Broadway is broadway, wild from start to finish. Convent avenue looks like it belongs in a totally different neighborhood, like it was cut and pasted from an area of Brooklyn heights. Totally different feeling from the crosstown streets of 145 and stones throw away from St. Nicholas park which is decent and relatively safe during the day. If I had to move in this area it would be around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City