Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Next time I hang in the projects around my way I'm gonna ask people who they vote for and how often they do. Because as much as I hang out in them (almost every weekend) I never hear conversation based on politics or politicians. I hear about what beer to buy or who got into a fight with who on the boulevard. I dont hear about politics.
No wonder your all for the projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We already subsidize people for making bad choices--it's called three square and a bed in jail every night. (I think we should be charging inmates for their keep, but that's another thread.)

You'd be surprised how many will pull up their big boy pants when given the choice of starving in a cardboard box or getting their act together.

Soon enough the current system will change, and a lot of attitudes will need a very quick adjustment.
I agree. Jail is a very expensive ordeal. To be honest I rather be making 40k a year trying to get by and do the right thing instead of the state tax payers paying 40k a year to keep me in prison for a year.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
By stop and frisk? Dudes that get easily arrested don't stay in the jail or prison for long, they get realesed out and continue their path of degeneracy. Don't cry when you walk around Farrugut PJs in DUMBO and some youth steals your iphone5.
I wouldn't be walking around there. I have common sense and have made something of my life.

By the way, those who have nothing to hide shouldn't worry about stop and frisk. Soon enough the beat cops will know them and know that they aren't trouble.

Last edited by annerk; 04-16-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree. Jail is a very expensive ordeal. To be honest I rather be making 40k a year trying to get by and do the right thing instead of the state tax payers paying 40k a year to keep me in prison for a year.
Sometimes I think Singapore has it right with caning. Maybe instead of a three strikes law we have a two strikes and we'll strike you--with a cane until the skin on your ass and back split open leaving you with permanent scars. When you pass out from pain we revive you and start over. Might make some of those "tough" homies think twice about what to do with their lives. (I don't mean "you" personally, btw.)

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
No wonder your all for the projects.
Whoa slow down. I am for the projects but I can attest that NYCHA is being mismanaged.....relax.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think Singapore has it right with caning. Maybe instead of a three strikes law we have a two strikes and we'll strike you--with a cane until the skin on your ass and back split open leaving you with permanent scars. When you pass out from pain we revive you and start over. Might make some of those "tough" homies think twice about what to do with their lives. (I don't mean "you" personally, btw.)
I wish but you can't even scold your kid on the train nowadays without somebody whipping out their cell phone to call ACS.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
I wouldn't, which is why I worked hard, make good choices, and sought out opportunities for improvement and advancement instead of popping out eight kids with seven different guys and practicing holding my hand out in my spare time. I also save for my retirement so I won't need to rely on charity in my old age. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
I think many of us posting in this topic have done the same things. Personal responsibility is the rule for many of us rather than the exception. Nothing special.

As an aside, if you are implying that receiving social security is "charity", I beg to differ. While I'm not relying on it, I pay taxes into it. If I am not getting anything, then I better not pay into anything either. I'm not even going to nail myself on the cross and not take what I paid into.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I wish but you can't even scold your kid on the train nowadays without somebody whipping out their cell phone to call ACS.
I'd tell them to go ahead and call. My kid was brought up right. I can count on one hand the number of times he was spanked. I didn't need to because he learned respect and manners from example.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think many of us posting in this topic have done the same things. Personal responsibility is the rule for many of us rather than the exception. Nothing special.

As an aside, if you are implying that receiving social security is "charity", I beg to differ. While I'm not relying on it, I pay taxes into it. If I am not getting anything, then I better not pay into anything either. I'm not even going to nail myself on the cross and not take what I paid into.
I never said social security (or medicare) was charity--I was referring to all of the other entitlement programs. I don't think it's going to be around for more than another 20 years at most, or it will become means tested so those who didn't bother to save will get it while those of us who were responsible won't.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
I wouldn't, which is why I worked hard, make good choices, and sought out opportunities for improvement and advancement instead of popping out eight kids with seven different guys and practicing holding my hand out in my spare time. I also save for my retirement so I won't need to rely on charity in my old age. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
Perhaps you were not dragged down the street, at age two, by a sixteen year-old mother who screeched "shut up ! shut up !" every five seconds while babbling to her latest "romantic" interest on her phone. At 3 AM, headed to "hang out." Actually, age is not always a factor. Ignorance is, and it seems to persist.

One of the most difficult things to teach my students, as they smugly and meanly announce that people should just "get jobs," is the quite different sort of life experience many children have from their own. These children do grow into adults.

And yes, we all know exceptions. But they are precisely that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City