Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 27,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lol,I looked at 2191 Bolton and was horrified that the trash was kept right out in the hallways....no maintenance rooms for trash and recycling.
GAG.
I somehow missed that. Good to know.

Quote:
But check the management company's website frequently because you never know.Sponsor apartments in that building and at 2244 Bronx Park East sometimes pop up on the Maxx site and sell without ever really being marketed by regular brokers.They sell a lot of apartments directly on their own.This is the site:Maxx Realty

I think there are a lot of bigger( 3 br ) apartments in 2199 Holland.It looks well maintained but I don't know much about it. Also must have some apartments with nice park views.Some of the other buildings on that block,like 2187,don't look as well maintained.

I think about 1/2 of the buildings in the neighborhood are co ops.
Your post had lots of good info; thank you. And yes, I haunt the Maxx Realty website; we've bought a co-op directly from them before....As a matter of fact, I think I probably learned of Pelham Parkway as a nabe through Maxx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 27,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
MAIN PROBLEMS with this building is Mgmt - COMPLETELY USELESS to settle any tenant disputes. You pretty much get the 'wait & see' attitude. Most of the problems arise when you live under/over Renters who ARE NOT BEHOLDEN to the Co-op bi-laws. SO basically if they pay their rent, you cant do ANYTHING. I am the meat in a Rental sandwich. Both above & below neighbors are beyond bad. I do not want to taint you view of the building. Just find out if you neighbors are Owners or Renters.
Thank you for your reply. I went on some showings in 2107 Wallace (I think it was a 2 bed) and it was emphasized to me over and over again that renters go through the same approval process as owners and that if they break any house rules, they will not have their leases renewed. Sounds like that is not exactly the case. Glad to hear that the building is clean and the area feels safe...but I hope your neighbors start to behave better.

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the reason we DIDNT move into Brady Court was a sex offender was literally above the unit that we would have been buying. His crime was so brutal I cried when i read his rap sheet. Use the sex offender registry to find out who lives in your area.
Yes, I saw your earlier thread about the sex offender. It's frightening. I know Brady Court is near a school and it will soon be near a daycare. If the proper authorities (parole?) were alerted, they might be able to have the offenders removed from the complex.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagliani View Post
It's interesting that you say that...I was under the impression that because co-op prices were so low compared to Brooklyn that they must be stagnant but after doing some research, you are right. There really is a nice amount of appreciation in any number of the units in the neighborhood (those purchased at the top of the market being the exception, I suppose).
No, on the contrary My condo appreciated over 70% so that when I sold it in 2003, I pocketed a lot of money. You really can't go wrong in term of appreciation in that area, even if you did buy a bit high. (there is a ceiling, of course, and those who bought at the peak of the market will not see the same appreciation as if they purchased in the "valley"; however, I don't think there is any significant depreciation.) My unit will NEVER be at pre-2010 pricing. Key reasons why the area has weathered the storms pretty well:

1. Location - next to shopping and transportation.
2. Parkland - if you live along Bronx Park East, you can even have park views.
3. Proximity to attractions - Botanical Garden and Zoo are walking distance.
4. Neighborhood stability - the area is old and very established. The area has a high number of co-ops and a few condos. While you should do your due diligence to determine which buildings are the best, overall the proponderence of such dwellings helps stabilize a neighborhood.
5. Buildings are for the most part aesthetically appealing and architecturally diverse - you will see many art decos, tudor style, pre-war, etc.
6. Demand - demand is usually high, especially if the unit is priced right.
7. Culturally diverse. Lots of everything.

I'd like to think of the Pelham Parkway area as a world unto its own. It's kind of tucked away but so close to everything. You have many people who have lived there for YEARS. You should do your due diligence, of course, and continue touring the area. But I can't emphasize it enough that you won't go wrong buying there. I personally prefer condo over co-op. And I'd prefer Waring/Thwaites/Bronx Park East area over Brady Court Apts.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagliani View Post
Thank you for your reply. I went on some showings in 2107 Wallace (I think it was a 2 bed) and it was emphasized to me over and over again that renters go through the same approval process as owners and that if they break any house rules, they will not have their leases renewed. Sounds like that is not exactly the case. Glad to hear that the building is clean and the area feels safe...but I hope your neighbors start to behave better.

Yes, I saw your earlier thread about the sex offender. It's frightening. I know Brady Court is near a school and it will soon be near a daycare. If the proper authorities (parole?) were alerted, they might be able to have the offenders removed from the complex.
The one thing I can say about renters is that sooner or later they move on. Unlike problematic owners I have no qualms calling the cops over quality of life issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City