Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

Be prepare to be taxed to oblivion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

44 posts, read 142,558 times
Don't be melodramatic. He'll pay more in taxes, sure, but probably 2%-3% more max.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And with a good accountant, he'll probably pay the same amount.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanus_superbus View Post
Don't be melodramatic. He'll pay more in taxes, sure, but probably 2%-3% more max.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And with a good accountant, he'll probably pay the same amount.
I paid 80k in taxes for 2012, so you can understand my melodrama.

If you count state, NYC income tax, property tax, sales taxes, millionaire tax, mansion tax, etc... we do have a higher effective tax than Atlanta.

Despite what the media likes to portray, wealthy people due pay the burden of taxes, so I'm just warning the OP about the crazy taxes here. And yes, get a creative accountant.

Last edited by 85dumbo; 04-23-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM

46 posts, read 194,899 times
I actually paid 80K in taxes last month, and I'll pay another 80K next month. I got bonuses of $175K in feb, and $175K in May I will for sure pay more taxes in NYC, but it does equal something... i think new yorkers get tangible benefits from paying taxes - but yes I agree at this level of income it is painful.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
I actually paid 80K in taxes last month, and I'll pay another 80K next month. I got bonuses of $175K in feb, and $175K in May I will for sure pay more taxes in NYC, but it does equal something... i think new yorkers get tangible benefits from paying taxes - but yes I agree at this level of income it is painful.
For me its worth it, thats why I live here. I grew up here and my family here.

NYC is great when you have money, and you will surely enjoy it as long as you find it is worth paying the price.

Also, you need a new accountant if you are paying that much estimated taxes.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,931 times
Atlanta may be nice but it's no NYC!

Besides the traffic is worse than NY's.

Atlanta sucks! I've lived there briefly and couldn't get out fast enough. I went there in between my living in NY and my hometown. I came back to NY.

Live in NY while you're young.

I have a feeling you're gay. There are more gay people here than in NY and probably not as judgmental as some in the ATL.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
I'm from Atlanta and used to live in Midtown, by Piedmont Park. I love that area of the city, but still, I'm happier in NYC.

At your income level, assuming you don't have any crazy debts or anything, you can have a nice apartment is pretty much any area of the city.

If your prime motivation is social/nightlife/dating, there's really no comparison between the two cities. Atlanta is fun and all, but New York is New York.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM

Febtober, thanks for your reply... Your opinion living in ATL and NYC are exactly what I am looking for. My prime motivation is social, nightlife, and dating. Dating being the biggest factor. Atlanta is great because I'm a big fish in a small pond, I know everyone, I know all the places and where to go, but it's a daily struggle to find exciting people. Looks like we have lived in similar locations, ( I too live near piedmont park ) What has been the best and worst things about your move from ATL to NYC?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
You must do it; you’ll have a great time. I’m in a very similar situation, although I make far less money than you do.

I’m 39, work at home and live very close to Union Square. I get up, make a pot of coffee and if the weather’s nice, I answer email on my roof. For lunch I grab a sandwich and eat in either Washington or Union Squares (both are a five minute walk away). If I don’t feel like going out or cooking, I place an order on Seamless Web and have a meal at my door in 30 minutes.

I have some of the nicest gyms in the city within a few minutes walk. I have an account for my laundry and dry cleaning. I leave it with the doorman and it comes back a couple days later.

If I need to travel, I just lock the door and leave—without a second thought for home maintenance or security (I have no pets or plants). I once worked for two months overseas and when I came home, everything was as I had left it.

If I need me meet a client, Grand Central in one express stop away (and Times Square is two). There are literally a thousand restaurants, bars and cafes within a 15-minute walk.

Bottom line: If you do it, you really want the amenities of living in central Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM

I've decided to take the plunge and move to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: