Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

I don't think home invasions are usually that random.More often the victims are targeted or followed for some reason.

I see on the gothamist crime map that there is a home invasion almost every day somewhere in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but really, except for the Fieldston boundaries and the areas by the river which include exclusive mansions, how can these people see the rest of Riverdale as "wealth". To me, Fieldston Rd and 260th is no longer Fieldston, it's N Riverdale which includes homes just as you would see in Woodlawn, Morris Park, Throgs Neck, none of which are "wealthy" to me. maybe the areas are very comfortable but still. not nitpicking, just saying...even Johnson Avenue and 235th street is like a Jewish version of Morris Park Avenue and Williamsbridge Rd--safe, comfortable places, but 'wealth" per se??
The Bronx generally has had a reputation for being poor. But Riverdale has always set itself apart, so perhaps criminals are just assuming all of Riverdale to be wealthy due to the reputation.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Quote:
but really, except for the Fieldston boundaries and the areas by the river which include exclusive mansions, how can these people see the rest of Riverdale as "wealth". To me, Fieldston Rd and 260th is no longer Fieldston, it's N Riverdale which includes homes just as you would see in Woodlawn, Morris Park, Throgs Neck, none of which are "wealthy" to me. maybe the areas are very comfortable but still. not nitpicking, just saying...even Johnson Avenue and 235th street is like a Jewish version of Morris Park Avenue and Williamsbridge Rd--safe, comfortable places, but 'wealth" per se??
Actually believe it or not there are some luxury condos there on Johnson that fetch a pretty good price. Since that is the heart of Central Riverdale the prices are high. Even the condos on and around Riverdale Avenue and quite expensive with some being listed over $600,000. A two bedroom luxury condo around Johnson can fetch about $500,000. At the same time, you have very affordable co-ops there... The problem with Riverdale is you can have various types of housing right next to each so the prices can vary quite a bit. An affordable "comfortable" apartment building near an expensive English tudor for example. For that reason, it can be hard to say who has what, though I completely agree with what you are saying and understand.

I would also agree that the area you mentioned is overall more comfortable than wealthy. The other area you mentioned I'd also call North Riverdale. My only thinking as to why they target that area is that it's close to the Yonkers border and close to the parkway for quick getaways.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
yeah youre right any part of Riverdale is seen as wealthy. and grosvenor youre right about Johnson I forgot that area is starting to look like Washington DC with all those new luxury condos

Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM

the big divide to me comes when you go from Van Cortlandt Park South, cross Mosholu Pkwy and are on W Gun Hill Rd, but even W Gun Hill is starting to look better and less run down these days

Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
3 men wanted for armed home invasion on Giles Place in Kingsbridge

Old 05-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Thank you for posting the link. I have been hearing about quite a few robberies and home invasions of late, mainly in Kingsbridge or Kingsbridge Heights. There was also a home invasion in Fieldston a few months back that the Riverdale Press reported. These all seem random but very disturbing. This one so far from my recollection is by the far the worst. It makes me wonder if these are truly as random as I think they are...

A few months ago, the cops were actively patroling on the streets here, but their presence hasn't been as robust of late. Looks like they should focus their attention on Kingsbridge and Kingsbridge Heights with the rash of robberies.

I stated this for yrs. The 50 pct only pays attention to Riverdale not the rest of the area under their jurisdiction. This is a highly disturbing crime but this is more organized than we may think. Two yrs ago, I believe a mailman was robbed by 3 mexicans in broad day light. The area is up and coming but the lack of police response and protection is giving criminals a free ride.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I stated this for yrs. The 50 pct only pays attention to Riverdale not the rest of the area under their jurisdiction.
And what gave you that impression?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:21 PM

i might think the 50 pays most attention to the high crime areas like Jerome Park(south of the reservoir) and Marble Hill, and the area around K'bridge Rd and that perhaps feel less urgency about Riverdale and even Van Cortlandt Village, the area where the robbery occured, because there is less crime over there

Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
i might think the 50 pays most attention to the high crime areas like Jerome Park(south of the reservoir) and Marble Hill, and the area around K'bridge Rd and that perhaps feel less urgency about Riverdale and even Van Cortlandt Village, the area where the robbery occured, because there is less crime over there
The 50 does patrol around Riverdale but I see more traffic cops than anything in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City