Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times

Advertisements

University Ave, Aqueduct Ave, Grand Ave north of Fordham approaching K'bridge Rd. W 188th, W 190th, W 192nd. is it any "better" than say 183rd street? I know it's still the "hood" but is 192 better than 190th which is better than 188th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,096 times
We should have a Bronx 101 thread. I have to admit that I don't know much about the Bronx and am rather intrigued but at the same time overwhelmed about the blight and crime that I see constantly reported on tv. I know Riverdale is part of the Bronx but it is different here. Even on occasion when I go through Kingsbridge it feels so different. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice to explore the borough but it's also annoying because so many neighborhoods are full of crime and dangerous. There are good areas but you have to go through really horrid neighborhoods to get to them.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Ive biked down the Concourse from Mosholu Pkwy to Kingsbridge Rd, biked on some of the sidestreets like 198th street, Creston, Morris, Kingsbridge Rd those are borderline areas. Ive biked down Bailey into Sedgwick all the way down to Fordham Rd and over the 207th street bridge, it was lots of fun

Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Ive biked down the Concourse from Mosholu Pkwy to Kingsbridge Rd, biked on some of the sidestreets like 198th street, Creston, Morris, Kingsbridge Rd those are borderline areas. Ive biked down Bailey into Sedgwick all the way down to Fordham Rd and over the 207th street bridge, it was lots of fun
lol... I'd like to explore without any fear of my life being at stake...

Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
lol... I'd like to explore without any fear of my life being at stake...
Why do you buy into that nonsense? Most of The Bronx is perfectly safe,especially during the day.Turn of the TV with all that hype of the latest crime and get out and about.You'd probably be pleasantly surprised.It could be liberating.Before I moved to The Bronx I bought into a lot of that nonsense too but I've taken it upon myself to get out and explore almost every nook and cranny.The Bronx is actually quite an interesting place...and pretty harmless for the most part.

You might have to find a special soap however to cover up the smell of fear.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why do you buy into that nonsense? Most of The Bronx is perfectly safe,especially during the day.Turn of the TV with all that hype of the latest crime and get out and about.You'd probably be pleasantly surprised.It could be liberating.Before I moved to The Bronx I bought into a lot of that nonsense too but I've taken it upon myself to get out and explore almost every nook and cranny.The Bronx is actually quite an interesting place.
I get out here and there in the Bronx and quite frankly I haven't been too impressed. The nicer parts of Kingsbridge border Riverdale and past Broadway (east) in most parts it is quite depressing. I know of the nice parts of the Bronx like Pelham Bay, Morris Park, Country Club and parts of Pelham Parkway. In fact the area immediately by the Bronx Zoo is very nice. The issue is the bad parts are REALLY bad. I'm not even fond of Kingsbridge aside from select parts west of Broadway in the 230s. Am I being too pessimistic?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM

maybe i see it differently since my maternal grandparents lived in Riverdale and often took us to Kingsbridge when i was a little kid(I grew up in the N suburbs) i always felt comfortable in Kingsbridge i even feel comfortable as a pedestrian in Marble Hill tho its too rough and noisy for my tastes. i feel reasonably comfortable in areas of Kingsbridge Hts that have the zip 10463 but i agree once you venture into 10468 (Jerome station) things change too much and it gets too rough

I have relatives that i never see that still live on W 197th street they never moved out i wonder how they manage in that area as it's not too safe

Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I get out here and there in the Bronx and quite frankly I haven't been too impressed. The nicer parts of Kingsbridge border Riverdale and past Broadway (east) in most parts it is quite depressing. I know of the nice parts of the Bronx like Pelham Bay, Morris Park, Country Club and parts of Pelham Parkway. In fact the area by the Bronx Zoo is very nice. The issue is the bad parts are REALLY bad. I'm not even fond of Kingsbridge aside from select parts west of Broadway in the 230s. Am I being too pessimistic?
I think maybe a bit.Have you gone to Arthur Avenue and shopped in any of the markets and eaten in any of the restaurants?Have you checked out the architecture on The Concourse or the victorian houses in Bedford Park? Driven or walked down Mosholu Parkway and Pelham Parkway ?Been to Morris Park ? City Island ?Lower Grand Concourse ?

Plenty to explore and ways to get around without ever setting foot in any really bad parts.Actually you can get from Riverdale all the way across to City Island without going through any "really bad " neighborhoods.The worst would be along Mosholu Parkway which is actually quite nice, with lots of very interesting pre war apartment buildings.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM

theres no reason to go to the bad sections but i find the remaining white sections mostly in the eastern part to be somewhat insular and depressing. tho for example Williamsbridge Rd south of Pelham Pkwy is certainly a fine area, there is something foreboding about it and i would not feel comfortable as a never married older male living there. too many narrow minded types who might misinterpret me and stereotype me. if im wrong let me know. i just see the Riverdale area to be more liberal than the eastern Bronx

Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM

yes when i go for follow ups at the cancer center(off Westchester Sq) from Riverdale all the areas are solidly middle class (Norwood, Bedford Pk, Allerton, Morris Park) and the drive is quite nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City