Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:14 PM

43,811 posts, read 44,579,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
For neighborhoods for a studio for around $1,300, check Bay Ridge, Astoria, Forest Hills, and Sunnyside.
I would add Rego Park to that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,989,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Honestly just sell your car. There is literally no (zero, none, etc) reason to keep it if you live in the city by yourself. That money can be put to an apartment or loans. The car will cost a lot to keep in a garage, and parking on the street in any borough is a miserable experience.

For neighborhoods for a studio for around $1,300, check Bay Ridge, Astoria, Forest Hills, and Sunnyside.
+1 on getting rid of the car. even in the neighborhoods listed above (all good choices) you can easily spend 1/2 an hour looking for street parking on a bad night. do-able, but a horrible idea. and just forget about williamsburg or manhattan

if you insist on keeping the car, i recommend staying in hoboken

also note, water st is a bit of a hike from most of the subway stops downtown. nothing terrible, but walking from any stop other than the east bway F stop is going to be annoying when it's snowing, raining, or 95F. you might check out a subway map and do some forum searches for the BK and queens neighborhoods that the F train passes through

i'm not saying you can't live near another subway line instead though, just that this might make your commute a bit easier and faster

Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM

145 posts, read 307,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily88 View Post
I will soon be accepting a job in downtown Manhattan (Water St) making about 70k. I currently live in NJ with my parents.

After using a rough rent estimator, I can afford up to 1700/month. However, I still have school loans and a car loan that total over 500/month. I do not want to sell my car, before anyone offers that suggestion.
Then (barring a hookup with a sugar-daddy), you will be broke, living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,797,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
+1 on getting rid of the car. even in the neighborhoods listed above (all good choices) you can easily spend 1/2 an hour looking for street parking on a bad night. do-able, but a horrible idea. and just forget about williamsburg or manhattan

if you insist on keeping the car, i recommend staying in hoboken

also note, water st is a bit of a hike from most of the subway stops downtown. nothing terrible, but walking from any stop other than the east bway F stop is going to be annoying when it's snowing, raining, or 95F. you might check out a subway map and do some forum searches for the BK and queens neighborhoods that the F train passes through

i'm not saying you can't live near another subway line instead though, just that this might make your commute a bit easier and faster
This is not true if we are assuming that OP is working on Water St below Fulton, where most of the offices are. The F train gets you nowhere near this stretch. The 2/3 lines stop at Fulton St and also at Wall St, and both are an easy stroll over to Water. The R train stops at South Ferry, with an exit on Water St. in front of the ferry terminal. And the J/Z line stops at Wall & Broad, just a slightly longer stroll over to Water St.

So any apartment search might focus on those lines for an ease of commute -- not the F.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,339,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is not true if we are assuming that OP is working on Water St below Fulton, where most of the offices are. The F train gets you nowhere near this stretch. The 2/3 lines stop at Fulton St and also at Wall St, and both are an easy stroll over to Water. The R train stops at South Ferry, with an exit on Water St. in front of the ferry terminal. And the J/Z line stops at Wall & Broad, just a slightly longer stroll over to Water St.

So any apartment search might focus on those lines for an ease of commute -- not the F.
Thought the same. Unless the job is at Manhattan Mini Storage in Two Bridges.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,989,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

my bad, i was thinking of the other water street between williamsburg and mnhtn bridge, you are correct as this makes much more sense

to OP, to be sure, just google whatever the exact address of where you're working is and look at the nearby lines

or, if you are insane, post it here and someone will help you

Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
I don't see $1,300 studio happening in Hoboken any more than I see $1,300 studio in Williamsburg! That kind of price you will need to either be outside of Manhattan or way uptown like the Heights. Your best bet is one of the boroughs..if you are working downtown nabes in BK are your best bet. I leave the car with your parents..its a pain.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,179 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I was surprised by the high rent prices in Hoboken so that's becoming less likely and Brooklyn (not Williamsburg) becoming more likely. Or a random good find uptown Manhattan.

As far as the car, I would be leaving it with my parents in NJ and have it to use when I go home. If I find that's infrequent enough, I'll sell it.

It seems I'll need to really pay attention to the subway lines in the area to decide where to go. I will absolutely not be driving into work.

Are any of the Brooklyn neighborhoods mentioned active for someone my age? Are they walkable?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM

For ease in commute to Water st from Brooklyn, look on either the 4/5, 2/3 or J/Z lines. If more towards Fulton add the A/C or if more towards south ferry add the R.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't rule out East Williamsburg. You can find something in your budget there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City