Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The worst is on hot summer days. My first place was a five story walkup and I was on the fourth floor. I actually remember vomiting all over the stairwell as I hauled up groceries, it was so bad. There was a huge puddle of what appeared to be cleaning solution mixed with urine. Bad combo. Like really cheap solution that had been sitting with a dirty mop in it mixed with stale, day-old urine. What's sad is that four-bedroom unit I lived in just sold for a million and it's still in that kind of condition.
Don't worry about it. Your vomit would only make the legendary smell of NYC stairwells more rich and
flavorful. It will probably still be around after we are all long gone. It's truly a fragrance only a melting
pot like NYC can produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The worst is on hot summer days. My first place was a five story walkup and I was on the fourth floor. I actually remember vomiting all over the stairwell as I hauled up groceries, it was so bad. There was a huge puddle of what appeared to be cleaning solution mixed with urine. Bad combo. Like really cheap solution that had been sitting with a dirty mop in it mixed with stale, day-old urine. What's sad is that four-bedroom unit I lived in just sold for a million and it's still in that kind of condition.
You vomited all over your stairwell??

I feel bad for laughing out loud.

Do you vomit all over the subway too when a smelly person gets on?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Urine and sweat

Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
rats
A living rat doesn't smell. The body is odorless. It's the filth in its habitat produced by us humans that smell.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: "living" added

Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM

143 posts, read 298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
There's a smell even in cleaner buildings without the urine though. I think it might be many decades of cooking and cigarette smoke.

I think that's more it. It's a similar type of smell dusty, old library books have and old libraries, schools, museums. It's a musty, moldy like smell. Weird how certain scents can bring back long ago memories. Takes me back to how I felt as a child living in Brooklyn. Weird.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Air is not regularly exchanged in stairwells, even in very clean buildings, hence the musty smell that is similar to a library, mixed with remnants of whatever cleanser was used.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Air is not regularly exchanged in stairwells, even in very clean buildings, hence the musty smell that is similar to a library, mixed with remnants of whatever cleanser was used.
I was going to say that---the lack of ventilation.

My last building had an open staircase---no stairwell---and windows throughout the hallways. The hallways/staircases of my last building always smelled nice because the porter vacuumed (and put down some cleaner) at least once a week. Sure, you get the fish odor and god knows what else but the odors didn't travel into the apartments, thankfully, and they dissipate eventually, even faster with the windows.

My current building stairwell doesn't have much of an odor. Odors will get in there and then disappear. I'm surprised it doesn't smell odd because barely anyone uses it (probably why it doesn't smell awful) and there is no ventilation. No windows like in my old building, anywhere, either.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
A living rat doesn't smell. The body is odorless. It's the filth in its habitat produced by us humans that smell.
dead rats

Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Food and hundreds of generations of roaches.

All exacerbated by hallway vents that NEVER work.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
In most NYC staircases and hallways, they all have this similar smell to them. What is it?

I know I sound vague but please bare with me. It's hard to put smells into words.
What a strange thread.

Are you talking about apartment buildings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City