Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree.

Those rooms lose worse then prison. No fire exits usually, dark, damp, No light and in some places you have to crawl to get into. These places will erode your mind and soul. It's even more nuts people in some apartments can be ok with renting someone a CLOSET to live in. Shame, Shame on them.

I know! I just don't get how anyone could be ok with that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know! I just don't get how anyone could be ok with that???
The almighty green pieces of paper I would guess combined with finding someone in desperate need of a roof over their head -Which sadly in the last several years has increased. Better and cheaper to get a room at the Y. Rooms in private homes can be found in outer boroughs for usually a lot less and many look miles better then those resembling Guantanamo Bay.

The ones in the warehouse gave me a bad feeling in that blog even more so then the closet ones.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
The almighty green pieces of paper I would guess combined with finding someone in desperate need of a roof over their head -Which sadly in the last several years has increased. Better and cheaper to get a room at the Y. Rooms in private homes can be found in outer boroughs for usually a lot less and many look miles better then those resembling Guantanamo Bay.

The ones in the warehouse gave me a bad feeling in that blog even more so then the closet ones.
I agree, I think I would have a panic attack just stepping into one of those places.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:

People seem so desperate to rent in certain neighborhoods. For most of the places posted, you can find a nice studio apartment in a decent area for the same price. I'd rather rent the studio in the decent, less trendy neighborhood than live in whatever the hell THOSE things are supposed to be. (Really? Can't stand up?) And if that's not what you want, you could easily split a two bedroom apartment in plenty of places where your share of the rent is less than what people are charging for a closet. People are crazy.

Like you Jen I would also have an anxiety attack walking into some of these places and probably a full blown panic attack in the middle of the night when I feel like the walls are caving in...

...seems like an awesome way to live!

Last edited by city living; 06-17-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
People seem so desperate to rent in certain neighborhoods. For most of the places posted, you can find a nice studio apartment in a decent area for the same price. I'd rather rent the studio in the decent, less trendy neighborhood than live in whatever the hell THOSE things are supposed to be. (Really? Can't stand up?) And if that's not what you want, you could easily split a two bedroom apartment in plenty of places where your share of the rent is less than what people are charging for a closet. People are crazy.

Like you Jen I would also have an anxiety attack walking into some of these places and probably a full blown panic attack in the middle of the night when I feel like the walls are caving in...

...seems like an awesome way to live!
This too is a factor on the other side. Status becomes everything. People live in shoeboxes, Sleep on a used air mattress-But they have that iphone! That trumps all else for some. Better to get a regular smartphone and be comfortable. Home is the one place we are supposed to escape to from the world to chill, de-stress, sleep, and not worry about being caught in a fire and not having a proper exit.

For others who have little resources and are faced with conditions like this, My heart goes out to them. But those who struggle hardest often persevere the greatest.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
In 1995 I had one like that on West 29 (betwen 9th and 10th) it had been an SRO prior. $650/month for a 5th floor walk up-- a studio with a bathroom (no tub, just shower.) it was fine. At the time Iw as 22 years old. I had one cat and the two of us did not mind the tight quarters. I would love to know what those rent for now--- 317 West 29th Street.

$1625
StreetEasy: 317 West 29th St. #4C - Rental Apartment Rental in Chelsea, Manhattan

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
I agree.

Those rooms lose worse then prison. No fire exits usually, dark, damp, No light and in some places you have to crawl to get into. These places will erode your mind and soul. It's even more nuts people in some apartments can be ok with renting someone a CLOSET to live in. Shame, Shame on them.
Exactly. These people are lowering the standards and Jacking up everybody's rents in the process.
I've never been to rikers but from the videos I've seen; those jail cells look bigger than the kind of places these people want rent.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Exactly. These people are lowering the standards and Jacking up everybody's rents in the process.
I've never been to rikers but from the videos I've seen; those jail cells look bigger than the kind of places these people want rent.
Some people don't need a lot of space to live. Like the link above that studio is perfectly fine for those people. You got to remember everyone values different things. Some people want a big apartment and some people want 0 time spent commuting places. So if you want a large apt you may not mind a train ride for 40 minutes. Some one else may want a 10 minute walk to work so will be happy in a small apt. However living in a garage or rat hole is another story in my view.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
We only get one life to enjoy...it's not a rehearsal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City