Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,097 times

Advertisements

Hi, at the end of July I am flying with two firends to NY for two weeks.

So we're going to be five days in New York city, trouble is we have been to New York and although I am sure there is still plenty to see I need some advice on places to go outside the city.

Public transport is a must. what about New Jersey or boston are they good? I am open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap (and I mean really CHEAP!) and do not need a car. I can stay in the city and day-trip or maybe do a 2/3 day excursion like a trip to Niagara Falls and 1000 Isalnds.
We like history, hikes and bikes can be good, basically anything that will allow us to absorb the American experience and to do some shopping ofcourse

Our budget is max 150$ per person including all (food, hostels etc), is it possible?

Of course if you can think of something really good in NYC I would be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
I'm afraid your scheme is not realistic.

Do you know how far away Niagara Falls IS?

And $150 per person won't accommodate the trains and buses to Boston, Niagara Falls, and Thousand Islands (on the Canadian border) and I doubt 1000 Islands without a car would be very pleasant.

I recommend a week or more in New York and maybe a car rental for a trip to Boston/Cape Cod (if you like beaches) but nothing more than that.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,003,633 times
I think you'll love Boston- history, shopping, culture, young crowd, clean. You can get there real cheap on a number of buses.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM

43,783 posts, read 44,554,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaela228 View Post
Hi, at the end of July I am flying with two firends to NY for two weeks.

So we're going to be five days in New York city, trouble is we have been to New York and although I am sure there is still plenty to see I need some advice on places to go outside the city.

Public transport is a must. what about New Jersey or boston are they good? I am open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap (and I mean really CHEAP!) and do not need a car. I can stay in the city and day-trip or maybe do a 2/3 day excursion like a trip to Niagara Falls and 1000 Isalnds.
We like history, hikes and bikes can be good, basically anything that will allow us to absorb the American experience and to do some shopping ofcourse

Our budget is max 150$ per person including all (food, hostels etc), is it possible?

Of course if you can think of something really good in NYC I would be very happy to hear about it.

Thanks for any help you can give!
I think your budget is rather low. For that budget, you can probably do only free things (besides hostels, food and public transportation) and you won't be able to afford to go Niagara Falls or any excursions outside of NYC.

There is free admission to Brooklyn Botanical Gardens on Tuesdays and the Bronx Botanical Gardens on Wednesdays. Also you can pay what you wish as there is a suggested contribution rather than a fixed admission to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History, the Brooklyn Museum and the Museum of the City of NY. Also you can pay what you wish on Fridays after 4PM at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art).

Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM

232 posts, read 344,330 times
Greyhound buses offers cheap travel to all American and Canadian cities.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,724,217 times
I'll make my usual suggestion that you buy a guidebook, instead of relying on random suggestions. Just because you've been to NYC before doesn't mean you've exhausted the possibilities. And it seems silly to waste the equivalent of two of the five days traveling.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,944,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Also you can pay what you wish on Fridays after 4PM at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art).
It's actually free, no need to pay anything.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM

151 posts, read 405,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

Harlem Resident,

Nothing is FREE.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,944,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Harlem Resident,

Nothing is FREE.
"Target free Fridays" !

So I suppose we all pay by shopping at Target.

Which I do not, by the way.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post

MOMA is a nuthouse on Friday, although maybe not quite so bad in Summer when a lot of people head out of town.
Although MOMA is a terrific museum, I think the $25 admission is over the top. You can get quite a modern art "fix" at the Metropolitan, which is pay what you wish always.

(Although at MOMA, if you work for a major company, bring your ID...they honor a LOT of corporate donors with free admission for employees.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City