Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 AM

175 posts, read 459,229 times

Advertisements

I had posted a previous post and no one really answered my questions. So I just wanted to post them again to see if I get different response. I got into the outreach program for the bronx. They pre selected 4 developments to choose from. Edenwald, Butler, Mitchel and twin park south. I chose mitchel for my job and school. I do not have section 8. I hd my interview 4/10/12. I haven't heard anything yet but when I. Called they told me everything was good they were just waiting for my landlord verification. My management company stated they sent the letter back 1 week ago. So I'm assuming by now they have atleast received it. What am I waiting for once everthing is clear? Some say an acceptance letter some say one letter explaining everything. I have to move by aug so I hope they have one bed available like the pre selected letter stated. Projects are projects no matter where you go. I just want to know what happens after the interview. I was looking at all the old post and they all stop at this point. Nobody really updated their thread once they got through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 243,851 times
Default Your answer

I was in the SAME situation. I applied for nycha and got called back for this 'OUTREACH PROGRAM" I chose castle hill houses for 3 bedrooms. Overall..it took exactly 1 year to the day for them to complete my application. I had to explain why I was behind on rent....then it was eligibility review and then finally it was completed and sent to the development that I chose. It has been 9 months since ive been on there waiting list. from what I could get...they send out these outreach letters, and only choose those that are equivelant to vacant apartments. In other words...lets say there are 30 empty apartments. they send out these letters, and the first 30 are chosen to move into these so called vacant apartments. This is what I thought. I called, and they verified it does cut back on the waiting time because its a special "OUTREACH PROGRAM". They dont have enough applications to fill vacancies. Like I said...till this day, im still waiting to be called. hopefully any day now. I have recently found a job, and it would be perfect to move in asap. But....everything is a process. I dont know whats taking so long...i dont know if there renovation...who the hell knows. But this IS the process. I wish you luck and I hope they finish quickly. But like I said...it took a year to complete the application for me...and has been 9 months since my development has had my application. ill keep you posted. if you want...you can friend request me so we can exchange information and keep eachother hopeful lol

Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Wow I had my interview and everything since april but its been in eligibility review since may so go fig lol ill probably be waiting a long time too.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM

No, I dont want to discourage you. I know someone who got approved real quick. I think it was just my case. I needed alot of information to send back as to why I owed rent. If your in eligibility review, then this is the last step. I really hope that they call you quick, I know how frustrating it can be. i thought the OUTREACH program was a spur of luck. I mean, it is...I just wish someone gave me solid info. I called the managment at the development, and she said she never heard of outreach, but when i spoke to someone at nycha, they said they were the ones who handled the outreach program and that it was normal for the management not to have a clue what it is. which is odd. Nycha explained to me that they are the ones who set up this whole OUTREACH thing. When there arent enough applicants to fill up vacancies, they go about sending these letters and only choose as many as they need. so its kind of like a lottery, but not really, but still...consider yourself lucky. I know alot of people who got the same letter i got, but never received an interview, and thats cause i wasnt babysitting the letter, i sent it the same day i got it. But anywho...stay positive girl...we all in this same boat of finding affordable housing. That right there would be the answer to alot of my problems. If i didnt have to worry about where im going to lay my head in and flexible rent amount...that would be such a relief. so stay strong and stay in touch.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

and by the way.....eligibility review from april to may is EXTREMELY QUICK. I had my interview in septemeber, and wasnt even in eligibility review till March...so dont worry. and if its about owing past rent....dont worry about that neither. as long as you were honest....they pass everyone...they just waiting for the OK from whoever is responsible for giving the OK. I was nervous too because i didnt pay my portion of rent. I didnt have a job and i just had my son...and it was a good enough excuse for them. Its call "hardship" as they put it. Just to give you a little insight and more Hope

Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Thank you for telling me about your experience so far. When,i called today they told me I'm certified for my development but I'm still under review and I need to call the development. When I got my interview I filed out a paper for the rent the lady told me they were going to send it anyway. Everyone I talk to tell me the same thing so whoever has to give the ok I hope they hurry up my l landlord wants to know of I'm renewing in august and on order for me to get a month to month lease they want to see something from housing. So I hope whoever im waiting for approves me

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 41,494 times
I have been stressing myself over the same situation. I had my housing interview on June 6, 2012 and to date I am still under "eligibility review". They have all my documens and at the interview they had me choose the development from the outreach letter they sent me (which i also choose Micthel Houses). I dont understand what takes them so long especially since they contacted me saying they had apartments available. I just hope that they contact me soon to come and view an apt. My current situation is taking a toll on both my son and I. A couple more weeks and it will be 3 long months.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM

i just wanted to update that as of july 27 i was certified for mitchel. took roughly 4 months. when i received the letter in the mail it said i was on the waiting list . so they claim the wait for outreach isnt supposed to take long so ill update whenever i get a letter for an apt.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 41,494 times
Default Any updates

Just wanted to know if you got any other communications from Mitchel? I was informed by Nycha that I was certified to Mitchel for a 2bdrm like two weeks ago but still haven't heard anything from the development as of yet.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM

No I haven't heard anything yet I've ben on the waiting list for a month now. They say a cpu picks your name and its by your apt size and priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City